Slate in a shower

Need to clean and re seal this for a customer. Whats the best way to protect this so the build-up in the shower is minimized? Customer said many people have come in and tried cleaning it, but the residue and buildup keeps coming back

P5100059.JPG

BUSY BEE

that's efflorescence, it's gonna keep coming back. Moisture is under the stone/grout.

so basically even if i re-clean and seal its going to keep coming back? in order to fix correctly the customer would have to tear it up and install correctly? In this situation what would be the best solution for the customer, tell him its going to be pointless for me to complete the work because i wont be able to correct this?

are they cleaners that the customer could use after i clean it up so he can minimize the appearance?

Mike

Also is it possible that the slate wasnt sealed correctly to begin with and the efflorescence you see is due to water out of the shower?

BUSY BEE

blkcobra@cox.net said:
so basically even if i re-clean and seal its going to keep coming back? in order to fix correctly the customer would have to tear it up and install correctly? In this situation what would be the best solution for the customer, tell him its going to be pointless for me to complete the work because i wont be able to correct this?

are they cleaners that the customer could use after i clean it up so he can minimize the appearance?

Mike
Exactly. They'll appreciate your honesty.

Gary T

That is terminal. More than likely it was installed bad to begin with. Water is getting under the tile and not draining. I'm sure the weep holes are plugged(if there are any), pitch is probably screwed up.

Really, be honest and tell them it is simply a waste to keep throwing money at that. All the cleaning and sealing in the world is not going to fix it.

Papa

Say if the customer wanted it cleaned; would muriatic acid totally remove the white stuff? I was told by some tile guy that muriatic acid and a wire brush would remove that kind of stain.

Gary T

Sure Muriatic will remove the white stuff. The gasses may also remove the finish from the fixtures, etch the glass, tissue from your hands and lungs. It also will not fix the problem. Be honest with them and tell them the that shower is fooked. There are issues in there that 10 gallons of sealer will not fix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom