Slate installation

G

My brother is having slate installed on his kitchen counter tops as we speak.

The installers decided to set out the slate squares on some cardboard and spray some sealer on before installation. They said if they didn't do this, some grout will soak into the slate and discolor it. They are using a color grout (don't know what color) that I'm told seems to be on the rough side, yet is supposed to have a sealer in it; the installers said that way a sealer won't be necessary.

Does this all sound about right?

Gary T

I see a couple of red flags here. The choice of a porous stone for kitchen counters, sounds like its too late to talk him out of it. Sanded grout for kitchen counters(which means wide grout lines), definitely a collection area for grime and breeding ground for bacteria. 1/8" and under grout lines with unsanded grout would be best for this application. And the installer claims that they put some crap in the grout so it don't need sealing. Epoxy grout doesn't need sealing. The additives and modified grouts suck. The other thing is many slates are acid sensitive which will be a problem for kitchen counters.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but your bro could be in for a maintenance nightmare with these counter tops.

G

No, it's ok. I appreciate your input, Gary.

So you suggest sealing the grout anyway. And what kind of sealer should be used for the slate? Is there anything that will help with the fact that it's so porous and acid sensitive?

Gary T

Hey Josh

There are several good sealers out there. I have heard good things about Cobb's products although I haven't tried them yet. I use This Old Grout's products almost exclusively, Clear Guard SB is my main sealer. If the stone is acid sensitive, there is not much that can be done for it since penetrating sealers don't protect against etching. Topicals are a maint pain. I would seal the stone and grout, test for acid sensitivity, and maintain properly.

SJA

I agree with the above. But there is a new grout made by Laticrete, called Spectra Lock that does not need to be sealed and they claim it is stain proof and easy to maintain. Not sure if it works or not ???

Gary T

Spectra Lock/Pro is an epoxy based grout that would be perfect for this application. I use it quite often in areas where staining, water resistance, and chem resistance are issues.

TimP

Ok guys I think I may have your answer. Tech has a product out....well a grout that they charge like double the price for that is supposed to have sealer in it. However the way I see it if it don't bead water or oil then you still need to seal it. As I wouldn't trust it unless I see it for myself that it's working. Also from what I've been told sealing grout before it has cured at least 3-4 days preferably 7 days that sealer can/will make grout brittle. So I wouldn't really use the product myself. I have sealed over it and it has sucked up sealer so what does that tell you? Also I have asked about the sealer in it from the sales company and they said they do recommend sealing it also, that it helps some but it's not the same as a real sealer at least that's how I understood it....don't take it as the gospel now.

As for the slate....yes you need to seal it before you grout it (the way you check is to see if it's porous). And you need to get a good sealer...I don't think a spray sealer is what you want. You want a good stone sealer. If I were doing it I'd install the tiles then seal the whole thing and paint it with sealer. And let it absorb a bunch of it as possible.

Just keep in mind guys....there are good installers out there. However most of the installers just like with carpet cleaners don't do their job properly. It's all about getting it done as fast as possible, as cheap as possible. To get the check and run.

Fon Johnson

Yes, sealing the tile prior to installation is a good thing. That is a sign that they are doing it right (we hope!) I'm not crazy about slate as a counter (spills are going to happen) but can be dealt with. I would want to make sure to use a food grade sealer (for obvious reasons.) Tile Lab makes a great sealer (penetrating) that contains teflon and spills will bead on it if it is applied properly. As for the grout, just ask them, but it sounds like an epoxy which is what you want here.

See if you can get a picture or two of the completed job to post here. It sounds like an interesting project!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom