Slate?

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
A very good customer is selling her deceased father's home and she thinks this floor is slate with several coats of wax on it. She is asking if I can clean it and I'm assuming remove the wax. Assuming it is wax, is it ok to use a floor stripper on slate with a red pad and 175?

I don't think she is looking for a shine just the removal of the wax and cleaning. Not sure what it will look like after the wax is removed Isn't slate naturally dull looking stone?

Greatly appreciate any advice.
Brian
IMG_2758.JPG

steve_64

Wow that's a lot of wax.

I used stripper and a black stripping pad on mine.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
That floor looks terrible...look like laquer to me..what does it feel like? If its wax, you can sort of dig in with you nail or a putty knife. There are certain feels to wax vs laquer..

Reactions: Mikey P and Donwand

brzelt

Name
Bruce Zelt
Easiest way is to put some acetone on it to see if it will soften or not. Those are no win floors for sure with either lacquer or urethane on them.

Reactions: Mikey P

Stephen D. Gillett

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Gillett
A heavy alkaline stripper like Stone Pro - Formula 51 will remove an acrylic or built up wax finish. It will not remove Epoxy or Lacquer. Using Jasco Stripper will remove a Lacquer or Epoxy coating. It is alot of work. I have used a stiff bristle brush attachment on a 17" 175rpm machine to do a bad floor similar to this. applied Jasco and let stand for 15-20minutes. Scrubbed with 175rpm Machine. Rinsed well with Deep Clean (1:5 water). Vacuumed up. It may take 2 applications with hand scrubbing grouts with wire brush. If it is only this 200 sq. ft. (ish) kitchen, then plan for one day, two guys, no seal. If they want want sealing then make sure you charge for a guy to return the second day for 2 to 4 hours. Don't charge less than $1200.00 for this restoration job. No Easy way. But a good job and experience if she is willing to pay. You will have me in your back pocket for support if you get the chemical and scrub brush from me. Let me know how else I can help.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
looks like a pain, and ya probably lacquer

plus its a small floor how much is she going to want to pay? I would just clean it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom