Slurry as an upholestry rinse...

Able 1

Name
Keith
I've been running slurry(1/2 sug.) for carpet and uph. rinse for the last 2 months and haven't had a problem yet.. I went through the iicrc class for uph. I was taught that an acid rinse was the only way to go. Since switching to the slurry I've noticed that everything cleans up way better in less time. :? I have never personally seen color bleeding and have never had anything brown on me, so have I just been lucky? Anyone have any good picks of color bleeding on uph.? I would like to see what they look like..

Here's one(actually 6 chairs) I did today.. At least ten years old never cleaned. :D
002-8.jpg

CleanEvo

I use Dry Slurry as a rinse for wool (not orientals or unstable dyed rugs) and upholstery and have had no problems at all, everything brightens up better as well. I run it about 1/2 to 3/4 recommended dillution depending on soiling. Best rinse I ever used, people talk about resoiling issues with it and I don't think they've really used the stuff cause I use it ALL the time and have no resoiling issues with it. There's a reason it's the best selling product of its kind.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Do a color fastness test on every piece before cleaning. Put a bit of the strongest solution you plan to use on a cotton towel and rub. I would at least carry a small 2 Qt pump up sprayer with some acidic to neutralize on the cotton pieces.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I switched 3 weeks ago from acid rinse to dry slurry. seems to actually get the carpet cleaner. I was told that if I use a acid rinse in my machine that it would keep it delimed. hmm

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Slurry is a kick ass cleaner, but on weak dyes it can strip color and can cause bleeding as the fabric dries.

On herculon fabrics you'll be ok but I think you're taking too big a risk when fine fabric detergent works just as good on upholstery.

Jose Smith

Re: Slurry as an upholstery rinse...

There is nothing wrong with using an alkaline rinse on carpet or upholstery. As long as you have one that works well for you. Just be sure the dyes are colorfast and be sure to get it dry.

Jose Smith

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've seen too many problems related to alkaline detergent use on delicate fabrics to give Dry Slurry a wholehearted endorsement for upholstery, but I also have to say I've seen more bleeding and browning from overwetting/slow drying than from specific product use.

So if you are going to use it, do what Jose says: Test it thoroughly and dry it quickly.

And be VERY careful on natural fiber jacquard weaves and raw cotton fabrics. I have sections of bled and browned fabric that I use for demonstration in my upholstery classes that were ruined by the use of Dry Slurry or similar products.

Two that I use were not caused by slow drying. Each bleeds very quickly when exposed to carpet detergent. But the color bleeding also shows up quickly when tested.

Jose Smith

I'm glad Jim pointed out that I never really endorsed Dry Slurry. In fact, I used this product in my early Coit "tech" days, but when I became manager, I banned Dry Slurry from the techs.

I think it is a very aggresive detergent. I think the pH might even be slightly over 10. It will clog up your pressure lines like nothing else causing more frequent descaling. My experiences and thoughts anyway.

I will repeat that an alkaline can be safe as long as certain measures (that I know Jim teaches in his courses, even though I've never been to one) are practiced.

Jose Smith

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jose Smith said:
I'm glad Jim pointed out that I never really endorsed Dry Slurry. In fact, I used this product in my early Coit "tech" days, but when I became manager, I banned Dry Slurry from the techs.

I think it is a very aggresive detergent. I think the pH might even be slightly over 10. It will clog up your pressure lines like nothing else causing more frequent descaling. My experiences and thoughts anyway.

I will repeat that an alkaline can be safe as long as certain measures (that I know Jim teaches in his courses, even though I've never been to one) are practiced.

Jose Smith

Thanks for the posts.. I would think Slurry isn't over 10 ph I'm guessing 8.5. It wont "clog" up a thing with last step chem injection.. I really want to take Jims class since the last one I took had me bucket cleaning everything with a horse hair brush. :shock:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Able 1 said:
[quote="Jose Smith":1472d15w]I'm glad Jim pointed out that I never really endorsed Dry Slurry. In fact, I used this product in my early Coit "tech" days, but when I became manager, I banned Dry Slurry from the techs.

Jose Smith

Thanks for the posts.. I would think Slurry isn't over 10 ph I'm guessing 8.5. It wont "clog" up a thing with last step chem injection.. I really want to take Jims class since the last one I took had me bucket cleaning everything with a horse hair brush. :shock:[/quote:1472d15w]

Slurry does indeed clog when not thoroughly dissolved and mixed with hot water. I used it for 3 years straight on a prochem performer 405, and I had to descale every month, ontop of cleaning out the Y-Strainers and other various orifices.

The bucket thing - on natural/finer fabrics a foam will be your safer bet. I've cleaned haitian cotton - synthetic/natural blends with great results and no issues. The pieces dry extremely fast.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Wow, I didn't realize the ph was so high.. And the ph doesn't change when I mix it a half of what is recommened? (thought I read that somewhere)

I've been running slurry for 4 years and descaled once and it didn't need it. I mix it in hot though, as I mix all powders.

CleanEvo

Why would the PH remain the same if you're mixing it half strength??? I always figured it would be lower...can someone explain that?

I re-read my initial post and just want to clarify that I'm not saying Dry Slurry is a great rinse for wool. The only wool I use it on is a wool area rug that is not a hand made variety or some high end rug, and it's worked very well on those, usually i'm already in a clients home doing the carpets and don't want to switch up what I'm using for a pre-spray/rinse.

On upholstery, I only use Dry Slurry very lightly on synthetic upholstery and only when it's very dirty... Prochems upholstery pre-spray works well on it's own but the slurry will help brighten light coloured fabrics, the sodium bicarbonate also helps deodorize a little.

RThode

Name
Rick Thode
A lot of chemicals have buffering agents in them to keep the pH level consistent regardless of the dilution.

Farenheit251

The PH scale is exponential and based on 10. So ph10 is 10 times stronger than 9 and 100 times ph of 8. So half isnt going to lower that much. Using only one tenth should lower it one whole number. But as mentioned some of the better formulated chems have buffers to maintain ph over a wide dilution.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Georgian's always seem to have the need to post like Shawn Forsythe in an attempt to over come the steriotype.

By the way, speaking of ignorance, why do some people have to descale their units every month, and down here in redneck land I never have to descale mine? Is it something in the water?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom