Small Manufacturer for the Big Truck

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
With all this V talk going on, what's going to happen with it, is it dead, etc. I have to wonder if there might be a better option.

Let's say a smaller manufacturer, like a Judson, would start to build the monster PTO to each owners specifications. You could pick the truck platform, the blower size, heating system, whatever you wanted. Some smaller manufacturer with experience and knowledge could build the big truck with the most simple and accessible components that could be fixed/replaced with easily obtainable parts.
This shop would custom build them as ordered and they would be priced accordingly.

Would that not be a better situation than buying machine X that could have been built by one of 3 builders with whatever parts the manufacturer decided on. In fact, I would definitely prefer that kind of investment to be built by someone who cared about each machine rolling out of the shop rather than a larger company that just saw it as another sale. That would be the kind of personal touch that would drive me to buying one.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Just scrap the HX concept and keep everything else. A diesel truck turning a number 6 blower could go 100000 hours without a breakdown and the blower wouldn't be choked down heating water so you could really have some vacuum. An oil fired heater that could run on diesel when necessary would be ideal.

rick imby

Name
Rick
And each version of the "Built by small Manufacturer" would have different glitches and different problems that would be hard to diagnose.

Redesigning to fit the different motors and transmissions would take a huge time investment for each model. Then as GMC or Ford or Nissan changes a couple of little things on their machine the whole beast needs to be redesigned.

If there is a major flaw in one of the machines (and there will be)who is going to pay to fix it? The guy that spec'd the truck or the small manufacturer? Five years later and 20 versions later who is going to have any idea how to fix it?

It is a lot easier to design a good slide in because the builder has a blank sheet to work from. A simple design change to the truck manufacturer can completely change everything.

With a Direct Drive you have to integrate the design and the electronics into the host vehicle. A simple electronic change by the host vehicle can cause the Direct Drive designer fits.

Rick

Mikey P

Administrator
Who ever builds the next generation of the Dual Wand machine('s), I hope they are an establish company who provide accurate manuals, have well qualified support staff, don't cut corners to achieve an unrealistic price point, shelves full of all the proprietary parts and an owner or owners with the passion and true knowledge to be and stay the very best.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rick imby said:
It is a lot easier to design a good slide in because the builder has a blank sheet to work from. A simple design change to the truck manufacturer can completely change everything.

With a Direct Drive you have to integrate the design and the electronics into the host vehicle. A simple electronic change by the host vehicle can cause the Direct Drive designer fits.

Rick

worth repeating

..L.T.A.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I don't see any unsurmountable issues with the differences in truck platforms

The carpet cleaning industry isn't the only industry that uses the host vehicle to drive components of one kind or another. Duct cleaning trucks, super suckers, booms, just to mention a few. Available in different conformations to suit the needs of the particular application or customer.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Chris is exactly right. it doesn't matter what electronics change it runs off the transmission. you start the truck and engage the pto with the pull of a cable using the trucks rpm gauge to set speed. just like a pull throttle on a lawnmower engine. it doesn't have to be fancy. blower, pump,burner, dump tank. you could put whatever size you wanted. lot's of industries do it. the problem with ours is it's to small of a market for the big guys to care.

gene

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Lee Stockwell said:
Butler could do it.

dude butler can't even manage to make their units so they don't take up all the room in the van, they haven't changed designs in years. why on earth would they make a big truck, fix what they have first. the problem is there is no money making big trucks. mikeys idea of 2 slide in's mounted in a box truck to me sounds best

Bob Foster

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :!:
arrow-up.jpg

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I just got the call, I am gong to build them in my garage. I wander if I need to learn anything, cause I cant even change a flat tire.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Funny how all the newbies blow off Butler...perhaps the most stable and focused company making truckmounts today.

NOBODY else has as many nearly identical units in the field with the millions of hours trouble-free service.

I appreciate you guys bringing Judson up as a possible manufacturer for the big truck. To tell you the truth, to build one is not that big of a deal since we are the inventor of the big truck that my Dad made in 1967. To this day it is the world’s largest carpet cleaner.

futboltiff22222255.jpg

PNG1PNG.png

544.jpg

777.jpg

222.jpg

judsonshow021.jpg

33.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom