Smart Phone Infrared Camera?

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Ever tried using an infrared app on your smart phone?

Here's a couple pics I just took at home.

Not a Flir, but could help at no cost.

Thoughts?

ThermalVisionCamera.jpg
ThermalVisionCamera.jpg

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
one I came across on Android the developer says fake FUN app....

Just changes the colors....just a fun app for pics mainly...

But does look cool....and eer warm :)

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name

Maybe but I was watching This Olde House and they were looking at a house with heated ceilings and you could see every grid line With the smart phone infrared app. I remember you did one with that garage floor with broken lines. This ceiling looked distinct.

Might be more than just a toy....

Reactions: Mark Saiger

FredC

Village Idiot
Maybe but I was watching This Olde House and they were looking at a house with heated ceilings and you could see every grid line With the smart phone infrared app. ..

You sure it wasn't this:
http://www.flir.com/flirone/

afaik most phones have ir blocking filters so there wouldn't be anything to process.......................making the apps just toys

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
You sure it wasn't this:
http://www.flir.com/flirone/

afaik most phones have ir blocking filters so there wouldn't be anything to process.......................making the apps just toys

Not sure, he said he used a regular smart phone app infrared camera. No mention of flir. But you could see the heating grid distinctly on the ceiling once the heat was turned on.

For the pictures I took above, the top one is our Florida Room and is our coolest room in the house.

In the 2nd pic is one of our living rooms and the blue area to the left of the entertainment center is definitely a cold area, sitting next to a large 8' x 14' bay window. The outside temp is 44 degrees, inside is 71.

If it's a play tool I will keep playing and do some more tests. It won't stand up to a Flir since it doesn't offer temp measurements But it might help in some situations.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Well actually the phone app works pretty well. I had spent nearly a month in the Boston area doing drying work as a result of ice dams and one a restoration company out of St. Louis was with us and had the app. While it doesn't do temperature as has already been mentioned, it does indicate moisture. I can not explain how it works, but in every case, we validated with pin meters that the app was accurate as far as locating moisture. We also used a FLIR, which was much more detailed.

FredC

Village Idiot
Well actually the phone app works pretty well. I had spent nearly a month in the Boston area doing drying work as a result of ice dams and one a restoration company out of St. Louis was with us and had the app. While it doesn't do temperature as has already been mentioned, it does indicate moisture. I can not explain how it works, but in every case, we validated with pin meters that the app was accurate as far as locating moisture. We also used a FLIR, which was much more detailed.

which app exactly?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL I don't know.

We have three of the Fluke camera's with the 5.7 screen. Better resolution allows you to be further away and still get a good moisture scan.

FredC

Village Idiot
and that is the only way to get true thermal imaging on your phone...a separate imaging device

Reactions: Desk Jockey

FredC

Village Idiot
The information isn't there without an addon device....gone are the days you could use your camera to see through clothes .........I miss the 90s :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom