smokers car

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
My daughter just bought a car from craigslist. Got a good deal but the car reaks of smoke. I'm going to clean it tomorrow and put smoke off down. What's the best way to get it out of the vents and the headliner? I hope cleaning it helps because if you roll up the windows you gag.

Thank You

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Do a good general cleaning and upholstery cleaning . Try and get a big d odor control fogger bomb.ou can get one from jon don for around 4 bucks. I clean the inside of semi truck cabs for a trucking company and whenever we get one that had a bad chain smoker we let one of those off and seal it up in the cab and that's all she wrote for any sort of odor

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Those the trouble spots, every notice how often the headliner sags on smokers cars. They are not glued very strong so excess moisture will pucker and cause it to come lose. You can lightly mist and a cleaner like Avenge and wipe it but don't spray too much.

Ozone works well on nicotine, if you have a unit, run the blower while the ozone generator is running. That should take care of it. If odor persists consider replacing the liner.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Do a good general cleaning and upholstery cleaning . Try and get a big d odor control fogger bomb.ou can get one from jon don for around 4 bucks. I clean the inside of semi truck cabs for a trucking company and whenever we get one that had a bad chain smoker we let one of those off and seal it up in the cab and that's all she wrote for any sort of odor
I have used those Big D odor bombs on skunk and that work real nice.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I cant remember the name, but they sell special water activated packs that release some type of gas that eliminates all odors in cars. They are marketed to used auto dealersainly. I think they require sealing and idling the vehicle with ac on for several hours to treat entire hvac system. Ill try to look them up on Interweb later.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I will have to order some big d. Our supplier no longer has them. If it doesn't come out I will rent a ozone machine for a day.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
no concern of damaging interior components/seals?
Yes Ozone gas degrades natural rubber so if you are going to Ozone for extended periods of time you can spray the rubber gaskets with silicone and it should be fine for a brief dose of Ozone.

If we are only Ozoning for a few hours, that's probably on necessary but if it need large concentration of ozone a can of silicone is much cheaper than replacing gaskets and seals.

Reactions: J Scott W
Name
Brad Gouveia
I never had any problems with the rubber seal. The owners manual of the book it gives you tip on doing it. Not really sure if the seals are made of "natural rubber" but I am thinking they are not is why it is not a real problem.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I never had any problems with the rubber seal. The owners manual of the book it gives you tip on doing it. Not really sure if the seals are made of "natural rubber" but I am thinking they are not is why it is not a real problem.
The sun doesn't damage them with years of oxidation on them, so there must be something else in them. Either way if it's for extended treatments, I'd spray a little on. Better safe than sorry! :winky:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I'm with Steve on this one. Ozone helps but can damage rubber or soft plastic. The Vaportek S.O.S. cartridge or an S.O.S. membrane in a Vaporshark if you have that tool works well, is almost as fast as ozone, no damage to the vehicle.

You can use it during cleaning as well as after cleaning. Have the heater or Air conditioning running while you use it. I found that two short doses, maybe 15 to 20 minutes, with fresh air for 30 minutes or so in-between works better than one long dose.

Reactions: Carola

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd hate to disagree with Steven and especially Scott but they are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Easy...take it easy!

I was just kidding
, there are always many ways to skin a cat. That is a much more passive way but safer when dealing with materials damaged by Ozone gas.

:biggrin:

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Pro-Restore Thermo-55 Tabac Attack. Fog the entire inside of the vehicle with air circulating. This stuff works great. I have some car dealerships that swear buy it.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I will second the big d odor bomb. I had a toyota van that was a great buy but owned by a chain smoker, I set one off and came back
and no smoke odor. Modesto janitorial supply use to carry them but that is the supplier your probably talking about.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The issue we run into with fragrance is not everyone likes the one you chose. Some fragrances can be over powering and then you get complaints that the cure is worse than the problem. Air it out regardless of what you use and it might prevent you a problem.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Sprayed the car down with smoke off from cti and cleaned it. Misted smoke off in the vents with ac and heat going. Still smells like smoke. It is better but still smells. I think I will order the big d after the fire bomb. I used to get odor blocks for smoke but they don't make them any more. They worked great.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sprayed the car down with smoke off from cti and cleaned it. Misted smoke off in the vents with ac and heat going. Still smells like smoke. It is better but still smells. I think I will order the big d after the fire bomb. I used to get odor blocks for smoke but they don't make them any more. They worked great.
Louis you cleaned all surfaces already? Headliner, vinyl, cloth carpets & glass?

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
We are cleaning the windows tomorrow. I'm going to wipe down everything else with smoke off. It has a odor block in it now. I ordered a big d bomb last night so that should be here Tuesday.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nicotine is tough to remove.

Cleaning all affected surfaces really helps but years and years of smoke residue can create a tough task in removing the odor.

While those deodorant bombs put out a small particle of deodorant, it's still just a pairing agent to mask the nicotine odor. Can it do it? Sometimes, more so in light odors or if you're lucky.

I still feel as severe as this car sounds you may need the hammer on this one, you may even need to replace the headliner.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Accourding to big d Richard, their odor bombs use an oxidizer to oxidize the air molecules. One bomb is supposed to treat 6k cubic feet. If he lets it off in that car and keeps it sealed up for a day or 2 that odor will be gone

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I know they work to some degree but if they worked all the time and on the tough stuff Insurance company's would be handing them out like they do washer hoses instead of paying us hundreds and some times thousands of dollars for odor removal.

It may work and make me look foolish....but then it's me....and I don't give a rats ass! :winky:

Seriously for Louis's sake I hope it works!

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I have cleaned it wiped it down with cti smoke off, big d smoke bomb, odor block and odor x coc. It just keeps coming back. Going to order some odorcide smoke and try it.
It went away for a few weeks. It still had that stale smell to it but it just came back today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom