So he wanted me to move his piano.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
And after I rudely asked him how much traffic has been under his piano and I’m not a moving company, he ended the conversation with, “I’ll call someone else”

Funny thing is….they’ll probably say the same thing.

He called at the end of my day, when I was grumpy/hungry and he already cancelled once before.

I’m so glad I’m not hungry for work. It was a really good feeling to hear him say those words before he hung up.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
And after I rudely asked him how much traffic has been under his piano and I’m not a moving company, he ended the conversation with, “I’ll call someone else”

Funny thing is….they’ll probably say the same thing.

He called at the end of my day, when I was grumpy/hungry and he already cancelled once before.

I’m so glad I’m not hungry for work. It was a really good feeling to hear him say those words before he hung up.
You had already won. Should have went and cleaned it.

They never learn! 😉

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Had that same request a week ago. I said I will go under the legs and under. Used my stair tool.

Reactions: Numero Uno

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
We ran into one of those last week only she wasn't so subtle. One of those jobs where all the perimeter furniture is pulled 12" away from the wall, including the 80 year old upright piano. It had decent plastic castors that kept it off the carpet so we skidded it back and forth.

ImperialCC

Name
Jason McCurry
I inform them It will need to be tuned at their expense if it is moved. sometimes they change their mind.
They are not that hard to move-- But I'm a beast for a small guy.
The humidity from the wet carpet will whack a piano before moving it will. (Probablly not) Just yanking chain! Better get a Trinity and do VLM. The Odessey and Pheonix will fit under my Steinway.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
It will warp the sound board .....run don't walk!
Let alone break one of the legs!
This was one of those old ones with the 4x4 brace extending out to the leg, that leg wasn't budging.
The humidity from the wet carpet will whack a piano before moving it will
Prob make most pianos sound better as few get them tuned nearly enough. Most pianos sound flat, the humidity will bring the pitch up closer to where it should be. (Probably not) :biggrin:

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
This was one of those old ones with the 4x4 brace extending out to the leg, that leg wasn't budging.

Prob make most pianos sound better as few get them tuned nearly enough. Most pianos sound flat, the humidity will bring the pitch up closer to where it should be. (Probably not) :biggrin:
time to TUNE OUT!! 😉

Ron K

Clean around it unless the owner is with you helping to move it.
We've pulled rugs out from under Steinways but the cabillionaire owner was there moving the photos and $20,000 candle stick holders themselves. The second time,
the door was open.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I should clarify I charge extra to move stuff.
I've quoted $100-$150 to "Move a bed". I tell the customer the bed would need to be dismantled in order to move it without damaging the frame.
I haven't had to move these types of beds yet.

In the service trade-- the Answer should be:
Yes and This is how much it will cost you for That service. Let the customer decide.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I should clarify I charge extra to move stuff.
I've quoted $100-$150 to "Move a bed". I tell the customer the bed would need to be dismantled in order to move it without damaging the frame.
I haven't had to move these types of beds yet.

In the service trade-- the Answer should be:
Yes and This is how much it will cost you for That service. Let the customer decide.
I tell them to call the piano moving company. They are the professionals.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I tell them to call the piano moving company. They are the professionals.
I just remembered--
Ive done the same. Sometimes its just not worth the hassle.
Alot depends on If we enjoy serving a particular customer. If they are kind, respectful and Appreciative- they will get better service.

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
My insurance won't cover me for moving pianos electronics desks beds China cabinets or whatever else I don't want to move.
At least thats how I get out of it.
When I had Detroit calls I actually told them that I had an agreement wit my insurance co.....
I would NOT go in Detroit and they WOULD insure me...
Not true but it did broom them off the phone....

Reactions: steve_64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom