So I bought a Sprinter today

It's a 2003 with 55,000 miles on it and I got it for $9,000, I just couldn't pass it up. It's a diesel and the tm I want to put in it is gas.

For you guys that have diesels what have you done about getting fuel to your tm. I really don't want to spend a fortune getting this thing set up. Maybe I should have looked before I leaped but man 20mpg was sure soundin good. :D

TimP

You can get fuel tanks that mount underneith. I've heard that the sprinters are pretty fragile, body wise. I wanted one before I found out about their problems. You can always get a diesel TM too. I hear that the older ones can get 26 mpg on the hwy. The newer ones have bigger engines and aren't as fuel efficient.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
i have an 07 and love it... get yourself a jodson in there and you will be as happy as you could ever be.
the reactor is just the best tm get it with the greenhorn wand and 2.5 hose it,s just the best your money can buy
DSC01571.jpg
DSC01567.jpg

DSC01589-1.jpg

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I have a customer with two sprinters with Blueline Bluewaves running gasoline.

He bought aluminum fuel cells from Summit Racing and installed a vented filler neck run to the outside wall of the van. He doesn't have a filler door just a cap. Looks a little funny but it's DOT approved since it's vented to the outside.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Rich,

congrats on the purchase.

I have three Mercs now. 2x Sprinters and 1x Vito.

My two Sprinters are 2002 and 2004. The 02 is empty and used for furniture removals, carrying heaps of drying equipment, collecting supplies etc.

The 04, has has a Genesis 59SS in it from new, before they brought out the diesel. Awesome machine and mid mounted does not compromise the handling/safety aspect of the vehicle.

I removed the spare tyre and it's carriage from under the rear and had a fuel tank manufacturer custom make a unit for me. It has it's own guage in the front cab too.

The spare tyre thing doesn't worry me as most of it's work area is within 20-30 minutes of our shop, if we go further, we just put it in the back on the van for the trip.

In fact, in 4 years, I'm yet to get a flat tyre :roll:

John

John,

Thanks for the congrats I AM WAY TO EXCITED to get out of the standard Cargo van. I like that I'm going to be able to have my porty with me at all times to do high rises and stuff.

Did you mount and connect the custom tank yourself? Who is this custom tank manufacturer? Was it cost effective?

This sounds like it might be the cleanest way to accomplish my goal of running a Boxxer in the Sprinter, plus I don't want my new Sprinter to smell like gas all the time.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Local guy here in Palmerston North, New Zealand... of no use to you.

Cost wise I think it worked out 50% more than getting a 'off the shelf' fuel cell and mounting it in the back.

This tank holds 35+ gllons from memory.

John

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Wouldn't it be fun to go triple diesel? Diesel engine in van, diesel engine in truck mount, diesel burner in truckmount. Just one fuel and higher temps without complicated HX.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
[ without complicated HX.[/quote]

I just show up at the house to clean with my Pro 1200 and the water's at 230 degrees. No extra heaters to monkey with, no extra fuel. I think of Rex Tyrus burning his eyebrows lighting the pilot of his 3HT. I KNOW it would be far more horrific if I had such a bomb in my van. I'll stick with a HX.

TimP

Kohler now makes diesel engines. It would be awesome to see Judson make you up a diesel reactor. Probably would be one awesome system. I doubt you'd ever wear it out!!

Name
I'm Rick James
Hey Rich did you hear stanley steemer opened a 3rd branch in seattle off 130th st and 99....

Rex Tyus

just show up at the house to clean with my Pro 1200 and the water's at 230 degrees. No extra heaters to monkey with, no extra fuel. I think of Rex Tyrus burning his eyebrows lighting the pilot of his 3HT. I KNOW it would be far more horrific if I had such a bomb in my van. I'll stick with a HX.

The eyebrows were no big deal. it was the eyeLASHES being melted together that was a bitch. :oops: The only reason it happen was because I did something REALLY STUPID. They are almost idiot proof. you just can hold the pilot button down and talk on the phone for several minutes without letting go. :shock:

The propane burner doesn't worry me anymore than a slidein would with a fuel tap to worry about leaking or a fuel cell. It is all safe if you treat it with respect. When we get careless is when we have problems.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I got rid of the little giant after a sonic boom rattled a neighbor hood I was getting ready to work in. I knew if it didn't light right away it was ready to pop. I jumped out of the back of the van like Arnold swartzawhatever and the flames followed. Scared the holy hell right out of me.
That was enough for me.
Before that, it was just burn your arms and facial hair scary.

I still have the underwear to prove this scenerio.

This was when I owned a steam genie.

G

honestly guys if you have any delay at all you should clean the jets (btw,delay between when pilot is lit and you turn to high)

Kevin

jimmyolas

rich ,i bought a dune buggy aluminum tank for 200 bucks of the internet , new. 14 gallon and mounted it under the van on the drivers side. a local welding shop put in a filler cap that exists the drivers side.

march080262816x2112.jpg

one of the best things i did is utilize the high ceiling and build extra shelves under m machine.
i have 12 inches of storage ( i have the shortest cieling as well)and five feet deep drawers.
jimmy

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Art

Propane scares me a little also. But then we drive around and run engines that use gasoline, yet somehow that seems safer. Diesel may burn, but it doesn't explode like the gases.

TimP

In my opinion gasoline and LP are the same in safety as my book. Both are gas just different types. LP vaporizes a bit quicker I think but both can explode....what do you think happens in a car to make the cylinder move.....both are dangerous and like it was said above you have to treat them with respect.

Allright so I LOVE MY SPRINTER! More room then I know what to do with! I can bring my porty with me everywhere and I still have extra frikin room!! The Sprinter drives great maybe a little gutless but hey no complaints I'm getting 28 mpg driving it empty. It's funny my buddies were giving me crap about the gas I was wasting driving it to their house (mostly to show it off :D ) and then when I asked them how many mpg's their midsized SUV's and they say 19 their jaws dropped in disbelief when I told them how many my Sprinter has been averaging over the last week.

MicahR said:
I have a customer with two sprinters with Blueline Bluewaves running gasoline.

He bought aluminum fuel cells from Summit Racing and installed a vented filler neck run to the outside wall of the van. He doesn't have a filler door just a cap. Looks a little funny but it's DOT approved since it's vented to the outside.

So now to the stupid carpet cleaning part. I just bought a racing fuel cell and am mounting in the Sprinter. I pretty much am working on making a temporary setup like this. Except I will have a filler cap. I'm also welding a box of some sort to help keep the gasoline smell out of my new (well to me :lol: ) gorgeous sprinter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom