so I think I should refuse to service this customer.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
She has some furniture and rugs she wants us to clean and stated that the house had some smoke damage. I informed her that we may not be the best choice because we don't have the training in Smoke damage. I told her I'm concerned about what I don't know and that the home may have other unknown issues and that she should hire someone who specializes in Smoke damage.

Do u think I might be over reacting?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Who knows, you were the one there. You made a call. We all have to make those kind of calls every now and then. I've turned down my share of work.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do u think I might be over reacting?
Yes. Have them send you a picture next time.

Unless the soot was under heat & pressure it might have just need a cursory wipe down of dry cleaning solvent prior to normal cleaning.
Charge 10-25% more for the extra effort and a deodorizer if needed.

Something with heavy soot, I agree. In those instances it might need several cleaning and ozone gas. Not only that but some consideration would be needed to determine if the piece is even salvageable at all. Those smoke residues can damage color on less durable dyes.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Richard would it be appropriate to have them sign something to the effect that you are only providing cleaning service, not restoration, and releasing you from liability from damages..... or something like that?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dan I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea if you felt the situation dictated that. If the home is soot covered and you felt the homeowner might complain of smoke odor coming from those affected areas, it might not be a bad idea.

We would probably just address that at the beginning over the phone and maybe make note of it on the invoice. We would likely state that the home should be cleaned & deodorized from top to bottom and the HVAC cleaned prior to cleaning the upholstery.

Reactions: dgardner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Jimmy but if there is money to be made and help someone at the same time I'm all about that. :biggrin:

We don't say no until we are sure we can't help.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I failed to communicate to All my staff that I didn't feel safe handling this project--- So the items got cleaned. We now have a happy customer and $1100 in the bank :biggrin::rockon:

Ill take Richard's Advise and get more info and pictures before I turn down work.

Back
Top Bottom