So tell us resto guys

Bob Foster

Is the business as good today as it was 10 fiscals ago?

Spy photo taken last Friday at Topeka KS private air terminal. Sources state it was Richie Rich and a few of his adjuster buds on their way to St Andrews for a few holes.

It's a wonder he has time for us these days...

crs-1.jpg

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I’m sure Richard feels the pitch like most people. Think about it, in a recession there will be more homeowners without insurance or with the cheapest policy they can get. From my observation and being in the same market Chavez is successful in the restoration business because they maintain some basic ethics that allot of the restoration industry lacks. I’ve seen allot of restoration companies burn out and fade away because they fook every job as hard as they can and get blacklisted.

Personally, I’m glad there is a recession because it will weed out some of the people that don’t belong in this business. When the dust settles, I’m sure Chavez will still be standing.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
ACE said:
I’m sure Richard feels the pitch like most people. Think about it, in a recession there will be more homeowners without insurance or with the cheapest policy they can get. From my observation and being in the same market Chavez is successful in the restoration business because they maintain some basic ethics that allot of the restoration industry lacks. I’ve seen allot of restoration companies burn out and fade away because they fook every job as hard as they can and get blacklisted.

Personally, I’m glad there is a recession because it will weed out some of the people that don’t belong in this business. When the dust settles, I’m sure Chavez will still be standing.
Correction Ace , when the dust settles Joe polish and your buddy with the bald head and sport coat will still be standing :lol:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
to me it seems like in the last 3-4 years the number of restoration companies in my area has doubled at least. it seems like nearly everyday I see another new company that I have never heard of. also there are several companies that had a large presence in areas either north or south of me and they seem to have moved into the salt lake area. these companies have to be getting work from vendor programs.

the effect of the recession is 2 fold IMO, for one its really hurt the home building trades and as a result there is a surplus of people that can do repairs, it seems like all the time I get a customer that says oh we have a relative that needs work so we will have them fix the basement. OR they want to cash out on the job and do the work themselves. when I can I don't even do a breakdown until after the work is close to being done, so I get around the cash out problem. I am also holding people to their contract/agreement. basically I am doing everything I can to keep work from being redirected to the insurance cronies or loosing it all together. I also notice its tuffer for people to pay in a timely manner. I also loose sleep at night if the insurance company sends a check to the customer because I know if push came to shove I could never see that money because so many people are upside down in their homes. before everyone had equity and everyone had to pay at some point, not now.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Weird fact - Vancouver has more restoration companies than any other city in North America. When it rains as much as it does here, it's fertile ground.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
steve g said:
to me it seems like in the last 3-4 years the number of restoration companies in my area has doubled at least. it seems like nearly everyday I see another new company that I have never heard of. also there are several companies that had a large presence in areas either north or south of me and they seem to have moved into the salt lake area. these companies have to be getting work from vendor programs.

the effect of the recession is 2 fold IMO, for one its really hurt the home building trades and as a result there is a surplus of people that can do repairs, it seems like all the time I get a customer that says oh we have a relative that needs work so we will have them fix the basement. OR they want to cash out on the job and do the work themselves. when I can I don't even do a breakdown until after the work is close to being done, so I get around the cash out problem. I am also holding people to their contract/agreement. basically I am doing everything I can to keep work from being redirected to the insurance cronies or loosing it all together. I also notice its tuffer for people to pay in a timely manner. I also loose sleep at night if the insurance company sends a check to the customer because I know if push came to shove I could never see that money because so many people are upside down in their homes. before everyone had equity and everyone had to pay at some point, not now.

holy crap we agree :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hence is why i could give a shit less about it.....ill suck some water, and leave a fan, but when its to bad i tell them, to call the ins company.....

depending on where it is, ill start calling you guys around me to see if ya want to do it....

for a price !gotcha! !gotcha! !gotcha! !gotcha!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can only speak for our company but yes we have been affected by the economy. We are down 4-5 tech's over the last few years, the sales just don't justify the extra labor.

We've seen a lot of insurance company's cashing out with homeowners. They have someone out of work or just tight on money and the adjuster pays them (short of actual cleanup) to do it themselves. It happens, nothing you can do but move on to the next loss.

I think what has had a bigger impact on us this year has been the weather. Winter dragged on and while it was cold, it wasn't cold enough to drive restoration work. It pushed back the cleaning season which in the end left us with a couple of unprofitable months in a row. So while we're clicking now, we're still off quite a bit for the year.

When the dust settles, I’m sure Chavez will still be standing.
Some days I have that confidence, some days I wonder. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom