So... which van is better?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I need to get a new van. I've driven a chevy a few times and they seem a bit tight to get into (drivers door). I have a Dodge now and have never liked the lower roofline. I'm leaning towards a newer Ford E250 w/ 5.4 L engine. Any opinions between Chevy or Ford would be appreciated. Or between the 4.6 and 5.4 ford engine carrying 2500- 3000 lbs. Thanks.

Reactions: Derek

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have a E 250 super duty with the 5.4L and the thing drives as nice as a car. For a van I can't believe it. I can suck a bit of gas. But, so what in makes money.

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I originally wanted a Chevy, thought they looked more modern. Ended up getting a Ford and am very happy I did, I like it. I put on a set of all terrain tires and I'm amazed how well it does in snow.

We have a 2006 e250 with the 5.4 engine(bigger is better). It's nice, power windows and locks(a must), think it has 125/130k on it now. Put a new trans in it about a year ago.

Parts are cheap(generally), I've done the breaks and other small/easy stuff myself.

I doubt I carry 2500-3000lbs, maybe a e350 would be better for you.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
We have two new 2013 Chevy express 3500 the guys love them. Get the big engine, with tow package and the back up camera. pretty cool. All electric options also. We got the CDS4.8 with Salsa in each from Jondon my payments are only $950 per month.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
5.4 Ford
better mileage than Chevy
18+MPG hi-way .
No knock on Chevy, cause they're pretty good , but Ford builds a better truck overall

..L.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have had horrible luck with GM stuff. the ford vans i have been around have been great for the most part.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the looks and ride of the Chevy/GMC but damn they are put together poorly. Door handles and door latches, arm rests are just crap.
The Fords seemed to be built better but my lease agent saves me a couple of grand on the Chevy vs Ford so we buy Chevy/GMC and just bear with the cheap crap on them. :icon_rolleyes:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
great thread, i am in the market as well.

who used to work at GM, was it Robert? can you still get us a discount? :biggrin:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
18+ sounds good.

What year and mileage?

Thanks

'01 E-250 Superduty extended
rolling up on 160K
Spent it's whole life loaded right at it max 8450 GVW

replaced one coil pack 80K
popped one plug out of the head at appx 120K (and had an insert installed rather than pulling the head)
ball joints and tierods 120K

then the regular stuff... brakes, rotors, shocks tires, etc

..L.T.A.

Reactions: thecleaningdude

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
tell me why you don't want a cube van Doug?
Far more space and no heat or stank.
2 reasons, Mike. The first thing is my wife doesn't want a bigger truck parked in our driveway and It could be a problem in the winter keeping it warm. But, I have considered a box van for the reason I could possibly put a propane heater in it to heat it. Not decided on either one.

Mikey P

Administrator
what is this Winter thing you speak of?

Express_Cargo_Banner_GM.jpg

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I am partial to the Ford E250 with the 5.4 L. I've had numerous of them and they're solid vans.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have a Chevy and a Ford. Both make a quality work van but only 1 fits in my garage. ..Chevy. The Ford is several inches, maybe 6, taller. Maybe that's not a big deal to you but I wish I had known that before buying my new van.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
what is this Winter thing you speak of?

Express_Cargo_Banner_GM.jpg
The winter thing is the fact that no van will currently fit in my garage, so along with that fact, I have to think ahead to the winter. A box truck would allow me to install a heater permanently to heat the box at night. Otherwise I don't know what I am going to do.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Also, what is the consensus concerning the difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 hauling around the kind of weight I do. I am not familiar with the Ford engines.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Also, what is the consensus concerning the difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 hauling around the kind of weight I do. I am not familiar with the Ford engines.

Don't think the 4.6 is available anymore on newer Fords, seems it was a good motor from what I've heard. The 5.4 is a good motor though I get bad gas mileage in my E-350 compared to my 250(I do have it loaded to the gills though). I would compare my 350 5.4 all loaded up to a Chevy 6.0 or whatever they have in the 6 range. I would say that you best bet would be the 250 even with a good load. I am going to run all 250's in the future..

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
have 2 08 chevys carpet vans
1 torque converter replaced under warranty then at 82000 trans went out 1800 bucks this one has a 6 liter engine
other no issues at all with 84000 miles on it also has the 4.8 liter in it
have one 09 work van no issues yet 24000 miles 4,8 liter engine
trans guys said service trans around 30000 miles since they are heavy all the time
prob buy more chevys when the time comes
gas mileage is bad on all of them prob 13 to 14 in town driving

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You do know that the E250 will be gone soon? This new model will help with the gas mileage. I also, think it will also be a better billboard for wraps. I bet it sells better that the new Chevy Vans. Just like Ford moves more Trucks than Chevy. Base prices are expected at $27,000 for the shortie, low-roof 3.7-liter, up to $47,000 for the extended wheelbase, high-roof diesel.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130115/DETROIT/130119952

Last edited:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have an E-250 with the straight-six 300 CID motor, with 225,000 miles on it. It is loaded to the hilt with equipment, including 110 gallons of fresh water.

It has been the best van I have ever owned (4 Ford vans and 2 Chevy vans), hands down; very little repairs and handles very well with all that weight in it.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Base prices are expected at $27,000 for the shortie, low-roof 3.7-liter, up to $47,000 for the extended wheelbase, high-roof diesel.

That's a sharp looking van. Don't look like the shorty going to fit in many garages. Even the small transits are like 45k, how can the big ones be 27k?

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
I've got a 03 Chevy 3500 and it's been a good van for me though I can't compare it to a Ford or Dodge van. I did drive a Ford 150 pickup when my Maxima was in the shop for a couple days and I must admit, I was pretty impressed with the build quality, comfort and ride of the Ford pickup.. I know its apples and organges comparison but I think it gave me some insight into how the Ford Vans might compare.

Like Doc said, my Chevy drivers door armrest and back cargo door handles have both broken. I can still use them but the expense to fix them is rediculous through the dealer. My headliner is coming apart at the front windshield lip and my mirror just fell off the windshield too. Not that I use it much. Don't know if that will be an inspection issue yet next month or not.

Brakes and held up well, but not the brake lines.. Maine winters and the soduim chloride or whatever the crap is they use here eats through brake lines on all Chevy trucks because of where they locate them and the brackets they use.. They get sand and dirt stuck between them and vibrate either because of poor quality, design flaw or whatever. It's an expensive repair. This may not be an issue for you.

I'd give Ford a good look when I'm ready to buy a new van. I'm not a staunch Chevy til I die kind of guy. Ford do seem to rust a lot quicker than other makes though.

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

One of my guys had a F-150 with small 8...it got no better mileage than his 5.4 F-150

LTA

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
One of my guys had a F-150 with small 8...it got no better mileage than his 5.4 F-150

LTA

I was wondering if I would have any problems hauling around my big ass powerclean and 100 gals. of water and everything else with a 4.6 engine.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I was wondering if I would have any problems hauling around my big ass powerclean and 100 gals. of water and everything else with a 4.6 engine.

No clue, Doug
I drove Shane's truck before......it had decent power but wasn't pulling a load

I'd opt for the 5.4 myself

Same or better mpg...but more power

..L.T.A.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
great thread, i am in the market as well.

who used to work at GM, was it Robert? can you still get us a discount? :biggrin:

Derek......let me check. I believe I can still get you the supplier discount through my GM Employee (retired) Discount. I think Jim Echman bought a van through me many years ago.

RW

Reactions: Derek

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom