Sodium Thiosulfite (sodium dithionite) Safety Questions and Some Tips

Mavericks3344

Name
Richard Thomas
I have been spending over a month researching the safety of using sodium thiosulfite on wool rugs. My understanding is that when sodium dithionite is mixed with water, it will produce H2S “hydrogen sulfide” (acid gas) and sulfur dioxide (acid gas).

I called 3M multiple times and they recommended this filter, mask and these tips:

1) Goggles: link 3M Goggle
(if you don’t use half face respirator)

2) Filter: Link to cartridge filter
Organic vapor + acid gas + particulate filter (p100)
P100 - NIOSH class - p oil and/or non oil based particulates, 99.97% efficiency

3) Full face respirator

4) Do a Fit test - can buy or find someone (Department of Health)

5) Good ventilation to reduce the risk

OSHA -Permissble exposure levels
- For example: if 1ppm exposure (this mask gives 10x protection so 10ppm protection)

Protection:
1) Powered air purifying respirator (PABR) - battery operated. Blower you wear on a belt, breathing tubes. More comfortable and could get up to 1000x exposure limit

2) Full face respirator - up to 50x protection (if I remember correctly) Link

3) Half mask - provides up to 10x permissible exposure limit. (but check idlh-8ppm - then not recommended)

IDLH “Immediately dangerous to life” limit for Hydrogen Sulfide (100ppm) and sulfur dioxide (not sure).

My questions…
1) Does anyone know how many PPM is produced when using less than a teaspoon of hydrogen hydrosulfite mixed with a cup of water? I would love to hire an industrial hygienist to come do an air sampling test but it is extremely expensive. I will do it, if I can’t find anyone that has already researched this.

2) Assuming it is safe to use with proper respirators, filters, and work outside, how can I be use the residual amount left on a rug is safe for humans to walk or crawl on. What are the chemicals left over after the reaction with water takes place? Is there anything toxic left over? This chemical works wonders in some situations, but I want to sleep at night.

3) Is there a safe alternative for sodium thiosulfite that can help remove the bleeding on rugs? I read the other post about thiourea dioxide. After researching, some producers safe it’s not ideal to use on rugs since you need high temperature to activate this. Whereas some people say they use it for rugs.

Thank you for reading all the way here!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have been spending over a month researching the safety of using sodium thiosulfite on wool rugs. My understanding is that when sodium dithionite is mixed with water, it will produce H2S “hydrogen sulfide” (acid gas) and sulfur dioxide (acid gas).

I called 3M multiple times and they recommended this filter, mask and these tips:

1) Goggles: link 3M Goggle
(if you don’t use half face respirator)

2) Filter: Link to cartridge filter
Organic vapor + acid gas + particulate filter (p100)
P100 - NIOSH class - p oil and/or non oil based particulates, 99.97% efficiency

3) Full face respirator

4) Do a Fit test - can buy or find someone (Department of Health)

5) Good ventilation to reduce the risk

OSHA -Permissble exposure levels
- For example: if 1ppm exposure (this mask gives 10x protection so 10ppm protection)

Protection:
1) Powered air purifying respirator (PABR) - battery operated. Blower you wear on a belt, breathing tubes. More comfortable and could get up to 1000x exposure limit

2) Full face respirator - up to 50x protection (if I remember correctly) Link

3) Half mask - provides up to 10x permissible exposure limit. (but check idlh-8ppm - then not recommended)

IDLH “Immediately dangerous to life” limit for Hydrogen Sulfide (100ppm) and sulfur dioxide (not sure).

My questions…
1) Does anyone know how many PPM is produced when using less than a teaspoon of hydrogen hydrosulfite mixed with a cup of water? I would love to hire an industrial hygienist to come do an air sampling test but it is extremely expensive. I will do it, if I can’t find anyone that has already researched this.

2) Assuming it is safe to use with proper respirators, filters, and work outside, how can I be use the residual amount left on a rug is safe for humans to walk or crawl on. What are the chemicals left over after the reaction with water takes place? Is there anything toxic left over? This chemical works wonders in some situations, but I want to sleep at night.

3) Is there a safe alternative for sodium thiosulfite that can help remove the bleeding on rugs? I read the other post about thiourea dioxide. After researching, some producers safe it’s not ideal to use on rugs since you need high temperature to activate this. Whereas some people say they use it for rugs.

Thank you for reading all the way here!
There are many products to prevent dye bleed or to correct bleeding. Take a look at Chemmax products. They have a lot of information on how to use their products as well as a Facebook group called the rug room where you can pose these types of questions.

Reactions: Lamesalegend
Back
Top Bottom