Sold my business after 50 years Steam cleaning

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Well, I took Marty’s advice :winky: and retired at 70 years old. 20 when I started in 1970. All Steam method as an owner operator with no employees.

Sold Delta Steam Way to a younger man of 31 who already has 10 years experience operating his own carpet cleaning business. I told him he only has about another 40 years of cleaning ahead of him. :lol:

Still have a few items left over that he didn’t take with the business sale. I put some cheap prices for several items on Craigslist ( https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=carpet cleaning&sort=rel ) just to clear them out of my garage, (as we put out house for sale and want to move to the foothills out of the traffic in the Bay Area) so I don’t have to move more stuff. I’ve been cleaning out and throwing a ton of stuff away that had built up from my cleaning business, Steam Way distributor days and 32 years in this house we bought new.

I will probably hang around Mikey’s Board for a while, but I imagine I will eventually lose interest and fade away like others have who are no longer in the industry.

Loren

Name
Jeff T
Congratulations Loren. Now you get to go to the coffee shop @ 6am and talk politics and weather with the other retired guys. Then, come home for a soup and sandwich, and watch daytime TV all afternoon until dinner.....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
wishing you nothing but best, Loren

and the big question is..

how much did you get?

don't be a dolt .
That number is only tossed around if they plan to "retire" and go on the road as an instructor on how to make gazzillions and retire

He'll make a bundle on his "Bay area" house that he bought in '88 I betcha .
Far more I'd guess than an O/Op custy list and equipment market value

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
The two best days of my business......

The day I started it (cept fo the old dED lady part)
AND
the day i sold it.....!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Well, I took Marty’s advice :winky: and retired at 70 years old. 20 when I started in 1970. All Steam method as an owner operator with no employees.

Sold Delta Steam Way to a younger man of 31 who already has 10 years experience operating his own carpet cleaning business. I told him he only has about another 40 years of cleaning ahead of him. :lol:

Still have a few items left over that he didn’t take with the business sale. I put some cheap prices for several items on Craigslist ( https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=carpet cleaning&sort=rel ) just to clear them out of my garage, (as we put out house for sale and want to move to the foothills out of the traffic in the Bay Area) so I don’t have to move more stuff. I’ve been cleaning out and throwing a ton of stuff away that had built up from my cleaning business, Steam Way distributor days and 32 years in this house we bought new.

I will probably hang around Mikey’s Board for a while, but I imagine I will eventually lose interest and fade away like others have who are no longer in the industry.

Loren
I always appreciate your experience and insightful comments. Just because you're not cleaning anymore doesn't mean you're not relevant here. Don't be a stranger but good luck on the next chapter in your life.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Don’t know much about Loren but read a few comments over the years. upon her announcement, I felt like I was losing an ole friend after all these years. Best wishes to you in retirement.

Keep the body exercised and the mind stimulated by reading. You don’t want to grow old but rather age gracefully.

Dont look back and wonder how things might have been if you did things different, no point in that.

Don’t look or glance to tomorrow too long, cause it may not happen.

Enjoy the present forward every living moment.

Again, best wishes to you my friend.
Stay in touch

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Congratulations Loren

Your insights and help have always been appreciated here, and I hope you'll check in here still.

I'm glad retirement at a young enough age to enjoy life and decide what you'll do in it's next chapter.

Thanks for all you've done for us here.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Define “young” 🙄

My father is 88 and with his work ethic and energy in his time off to do other things he loves, he's still "young".

On the other hand, I've lost 6 highschool classmates since Labor Day. Sadly, they were old long before they died. Lifestyle catches up with you.

Unless you are Keith Richards or Bob Vawter of course.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
My father is 88 and with his work ethic and energy in his time off to do other things he loves, he's still "young".

On the other hand, I've lost 6 highschool classmates since Labor Day. Sadly, they were old long before they died. Lifestyle catches up with you.

Unless you are Keith Richards or Bob Vawter of course.
Ya...I used to think 88 would be old!

Mikey P

Administrator
Don’t know much about Loren but read a few comments over the years. upon her announcement, I felt like I was losing an ole friend after all these years. Best wishes to you in retirement.

Keep the body exercised and the mind stimulated by reading. You don’t want to grow old but rather age gracefully.

Dont look back and wonder how things might have been if you did things different, no point in that.

Don’t look or glance to tomorrow too long, cause it may not happen.

Enjoy the present forward every living moment.

Again, best wishes to you my friend.
Stay in touch

*His

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
and the big question is..

how much did you get?
Not as much as Steve Toburen would have liked. :)
But I felt I received as reasonable amount for the stage the business was in at this point. Certainly didn’t get rich. :winky:
The buyer let me keep the business for about 6 weeks before he took over so I could receive the payment after the first of the year for tax purposes.

Reactions: SamIam

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Congratulations Loren. Now you get to go to the coffee shop @ 6am and talk politics and weather with the other retired guys. Then, come home for a soup and sandwich, and watch daytime TV all afternoon until dinner.....
Yuk! I hope not.
Actually I will have plenty to do to fill my life.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
wishing you nothing but best, Loren

don't be a dolt .
That number is only tossed around if they plan to "retire" and go on the road as an instructor on how to make gazzillions and retire

He'll make a bundle on his "Bay area" house that he bought in '88 I betcha .
Far more I'd guess than an O/Op custy list and equipment market value

..L.T.A.
Thanks Larry.
Yup, the house has went up some since we bought it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom