Solvent Protector on Microfiber

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I never have any problems cleaning microfiber and have always used solvent protector on them.

On ICS, someone said that a solvent protector should not be used on flocked microfiber.

Has anyone had problems using a solvent protector on microfiber?

How do you tell if microfiber is flocked?

Mr.V

what the flock is flocked?

I use solvent protector on all the upholstery I do,,,,,,,,never had a problem so far

Mikey P

Administrator
Flocked means the fibers (in this case in the form of a "velvet") are actually glued onto the backing.

I could see how this would be a concern.

I've sen flocked velvets that had the face fibers literally wiped right off the backing when a coit chimp attempted to dry clean it.

Mikey P

Administrator
If you can find the two together in a upholstery store you should be able to see how the flocked has a flat backing while the woven has some sort of knot that is obvious.

M

Mr Carpet

Price is relative, Just like with carpet cleaning.

If you unzip the cushion you can see the fibers woven through to the backing if it is not flocked.

Use a solvent on a flocked fabric and the flocking will fall off like an old scab.

Before it was called microfiber it was called trailer furniture. It would be a sofa with a wooden frame and a fabric pattern with pheasants on it.

Now it is the wonder fabric- microfiber!

M

Mr Carpet

I was having trouble logging in with my laptop.

I have cleaned a ton of flocked fabric through out the years. That is why i posted at ICS and mentioned about flocked fabric.

Flocked fabric is the crap of the fabric world.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bill;

If the solvent-based protector uses fast-drying solvents,
then flocked fabrics can be protected with normal spray applications.

Larry

Jose Smith

I rarely see flocked fabric. I believe it is lower on the cost spectrum. As Larry says, a good solvent based protector can be used as long as it is not used as a solvent based spotter. In other words, spray a fine mist on, don't pour it on. I suppose if I was protecting a flocked microfiber, I would skip brushing it it. But again, it is not very common in my area.

Jose Smith

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They electrostatically give the glue a charge and then charge the fibers so that they attract to the glue.

It's just fibers glued to fabric, solvent will loosen the glue and could leave you with a patch of fabric with no fibers.

It's more of a concern than just solvent spotters, many preconditioners can also loosen the glue as well as spotters.

I've seen in heavily soiled areas when the combination of body oils, precondition and aggressive cleaning can remove the fibers also. Especially on cords and welting, be careful of buttons, the fabric can scrape right off when wet.

We don't allow our tech's to do any spotting on Flocks, precondition only and if it doesn't come out, it's the clients risk if they choose to go any further.

Flocked fabric is usually recognizable due to the colorful floral patterns, bright colors and shiny sheen.

It's cheap chit, maybe not inexpensive but real crap as far as durability.

Jose won't see any of it in his clients homes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom