Something different. too hard basket?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey guys, a really good client asked me to look at her leather suite.

20 something year old son put his foot through the seam.

My initial response was OF COURSE!

I figured being in a corner, and out of the way, it doesn't need to be pretty.

She was guestimated 'around a grand' by her upholsterer :shock:

I have a number of needles or varying shapes and sizes and thought of using a bit of fine carpet thread and sewing top to bottom.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

John

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I think John that the carcass would first have to be removed so as to do a decent job.

It's not only the top to bottom as you put it, but also the horizontal stitch.

I doubt very much that you would achieve a tight, unseen stitch (well, as much unseen as the rest is,) that the client would be happy with, and happy to pay you for what it's worth.

If perchance you can, then great, you got dem long skinny piano players fingers mate :wink:

Ooroo

harryhides

Name
Tony
I wonder if you could get good enough access from the bottom by removing the dust cover ?

I've never attempted one like that so I really hope that you do :D
I suppose that it is possible to re-use all of the existing hole with a loose stitch and then tighten it all up afterwards by pulling thread out of each stitch but the last bit would probably be a bit rough.

John Watson

Like the short one said, Take the cover off, then like harry said stitch ie back through the old holes. Looks like thread failure to me, While you have it off resew th other areas too so thread doesen't screw up ther too.

Stevea

John,

Fasinating repair to look at, I would love to try to repair this.

Most are probably correct in saying it would likely be best if you could access it from behind or under it. Still, it looks like a hidden stitch might be useable here. As John Watson pointed out, use of the same holes would be logical.

It looks like the use of a curved needle, coming from behind on either end, to hide the knot, and then coming completely out so you could control the needle would work. After bringing the curved needle out, it seems as if you could go into one hole and curve it right back out the next on on the same side. Pull the thread through but leave it loose so you could still work it. Then cross over to the opposing side, curve the needle into the hole and out the next to it. Keep doing this along the break until you cover some of the area and start pulling the thread tight. You will be going through two holes on one side and crossing over and then going through two holes on that side and back & forth until you get to the end. Tieing off with a slip knot is easy if you can get it tight enough as you go along. Instead of pulling each hole from each side together, you would be pulling every other hole together but with waxed nylon thread, it should hold great.

I am not sure if this makes sense but it looks like it would work to me or at least worth the effort. I would use as small of a curved needle as possible. As long as you could get it tight and tied off, I think it would look good.

I have sewed my share of upholtery on cushions and that is easy. While I have not done this type, I think it would be worth the effort. I am sorry if my words do not convey my mental picture but I think it would be a neat repair to try. Sewing is an awesome tool to use to repair a lot of stuff.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks Steve,

you pretty much described what I had in my head as an idea, but not having done anything like this before I didn't know if it'd be feasible.

I need to get a needle or three and start modifying it to get a few smaller options to play with.

I was unsure what thread to use as the finished thread will show and they have used coloured thread.

Would it be possible to get some waxed thread and colour it with crayons?

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John if you use a blind stitch you wont see the thread . You will not have to color. Make sure you double knot it and make it tight . You dont want it to open up again.

Stevea

John,

Harry is right, if you are able to secure it tightly, it should not show or at best, qualify it and be sure you cover yourself in case they see a little of it. I have hand sewn a fair amount of upholstery broken at the welt and it has never been a problem with the thread showing.

You could use a large needle but a smaller one would be easier to work with in a tight area. I would definitely want to use the waxed thread for a repair like this. I would think, if you do have some show, you could tough the part that shows with a magic marker to hide or blend it in but I would like to think this would not be needed.

Please take pictures of this and share with us, great opportunity and I hope you charge well for this. I just did some stitching on a frayed berber on some steps and the man was very pleased with it. I thought it was about an 80% improvement but to him it was so much better he thought it was 100%. Often, we are harder on ourselves than others would be so if you get it closed I imagine the consumer will be elated, even if you do see a little of the thread.

Let us know if we can help any. Be sure and use a slip know, that way it will help pull it down tight at the end and should make it look pretty good, IMO.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Roger, here it is, any suggestions?

What I was thinking of doing, is butchering a couple of my old carpet needles into smaller versions... AND NO YOU GUYS CAN'T SEE THEM :twisted: and playing with that.

I still haven't done this job. She is part way through a large flood claim. We did the initial work ages ago and her insurer is taking way too long to repair the walls, redecorate and then replace some vinyl and relay the carpets.

Once all that is done, I go back in for a final clean and will do her leather cleaning and protecting then and do this repair at the same time. I'm toying with the possibility of taking it away to work on it but think that may be an over kill.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

John

Roger Koh

John Middleton said:
Hey Roger, here it is, any suggestions?

John

This seam was originally sewn from the reverse of both sides.

Advantage of the sewing tools I shown versus a sewing machine is that it can sew over the existing needle holes with perfect original linear alignment.

The pattern of sewing is the same as that of a sewing machine.

Choices of needles and threads are available to match existing thread.

Somehow the entire leather has to be removed if you want to maintain original stitching.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Looking at that stitch. It is nothing at all different than using a hook needle. Nothing different than a top sewed stitch, No dis -respect to anyone here.

Roger Koh

John Middleton said:
Once all that is done, I go back in for a final clean and will do her leather cleaning and protecting then and do this repair at the same time.

John

Why do you need to “protect” this leather?

How is the leather “protected”?

What is it “protecting” against?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Heathrow that is what John displayed in the picture. When using a hook needle (curved)it is opposite than useing a straight needle. When getting use to it it is easy.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Roger, are you saying that that little needle unit you showed on another thread will allow me to sew from the front and make it look similar to original?

On the 'protect' thing, I use the Fenice 'protection cream' but I guess the better term would be conditioning cream?

John

Roger Koh

John Middleton said:
Roger, are you saying that that little needle unit you showed on another thread will allow me to sew from the front and make it look similar to original?

On the 'protect' thing, I use the Fenice 'protection cream' but I guess the better term would be conditioning cream?

John

By looking at the broken seam the leather grain were facing one another and sewn from the reverse side.

Therefore the leather has to be face just like the original pre-sewing position again.

By using this tool it will produce the original stitching perfectly because we are using the original needle holes.

Using a machine will have more technical problem like out of alignment, additional perforation that weakens the seam or distortion.

“Protecting” or “Conditioning” by itself has no meaning.

If we do not educate the benefits.

It is more important on how we educate our customer that brings more value to our service.

Quoted a refinishing job for $3’800.00, send her loads of pictures and explaining how and why is done, ending up she bought a stake of cash for $5’000.00 (was she crazy or was I madly passionate about educating her about leather).

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

Roger Koh

John Middleton said:
Thanks Roger, where can they be purchased from and are they self explainatory?

John

I will try find one for you (I have this a long time ago), besides anyone else interested to have one?

And I will try to post a little demo if you people are interested to see how it works

- that sews a lock stitch “like a machine”.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

harryhides

Name
Tony
Yes, I'd like one and I can guarantee that Shorty will want one too.

Actually, I think I have seen one in one of my dad's old tool boxes.....

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom