Something smells fishy

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Guys, a property manager I'm trying to impress has a problem with a home that has a "fishy" type smell. I'm not yet overly experienced in odour control but would like some pointers on what may cause this type of odour? I'm thinking that it could be unrelated to carpet, maybe a dead cat under the house or something as I've never come across a fishy one before...

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
If you're referring to our Prime Minister, well it's hard to tell.

The property manager however is all woman :wink:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Heathrow said:
If you're referring to our Prime Minister, well it's hard to tell.

The property manager however is all woman :wink:

LOL Heath.

A bit of a hard one with these unknown smells.

Best thing you can do is investigate yourself and smell what you can yourself.

I don't know about you, but us guys generally get told that we've not got good smell, but I'm an exception to the rule.

But don't rely solely on smell. Check out sight and think outside the square some if needed. You may or may not reach a possible solution.

John

Name
Eric Valentine
Check any curtain rods, behind outlet/switch plates. Having been a property manager, tenants can find interesting places to hide stuff to stink up a house or apartment.

[dumb idea]Maybe take a cat with you to lead you to the source.[/dumb idea]

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
does it really smell like fish?
or just a foul odor?

check the garbage disposal it it has one.

we've ran into units where we had to tear out parts of the wall or cabinet bottoms to remove dead critters.
(usually chipmunks or mice)
does he use rat/mouse poison?

Another source of foul odor we encounter from time to time..
If the unit has sat empty long enough, the water in the drain traps will evaporate and allow sewer gas to enter.
Just a matter of pouring water in the drain to fix that.

and lastly, one of our prop mngr accounts had to evict some undesirable types.
as a "going away present", the dirtbags stuffed two big catfish in the washer and dryer.
They also went out to the dumpster and brought trash IN to dump all over the unit

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If it has a evap cooler.......it could be coming from there

Most likely it has a A/C unit and it could be the condensate pan is not draining all the way.......

either one..... ..turn on the unit and see if the smell is coming out of the vents........

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Thanks guys - some good ideas there. I'll have a smell for myself next week and will have some good questions to ask now.
Larry I'm thinking also along the lines of a dead rat or similar as I had a similar experience before with a poisoned rat in a ceiling that had a fishy type smell.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom