Sometimes the customers test our faith in them.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Just recently, I've been getting annoyed at my customers putting me to the test. They purposely fold the cash up and give it to me, or they'll put a tight fold on the check they wright, or like today, hand me the check purposely upside down. I think it's stupid. There's times I'll show my "faith" by not unfolding it in front of them or counting the cash, or even turning the check over to look at it, making sure the dude can write the check.

Have any of you noticed this or is just my weird paranoia?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I feel it makes an awkward moment to unfold the check or count the cash in front of them

If I don't know them, I don't trust their handwriting or 3rd grade math. But if I do know them, I just put it in my pocket.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Do you use a clip board of any type? I never feel bad counting cash infront of them or putting the check clipped on top of the clipboard while giving them the receipt. 60% of our cleanings will use credit card.

Do you talk to customer during the cleaning? Usually General convo makes any weirdness with customers go away. Usually starting w inspecting the areas they are going to have cleaned and randomly during the cleaning.

Name
Nate W.
I'd grab each side of the folded bill/s & Check, with a snapping motion of unfolding it fast like you wanting to rip it apart.. Snap it about 3 times and review it shouting payday or chaching....:lol:

I tend to write the check number as they write it out..

People need to understand Matty is just a bit weird himself... :stir:

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Do you use a clip board of any type? I never feel bad counting cash infront of them or putting the check clipped on top of the clipboard while giving them the receipt. 60% of our cleanings will use credit card.

Do you talk to customer during the cleaning? Usually General convo makes any weirdness with customers go away. Usually starting w inspecting the areas they are going to have cleaned and randomly during the cleaning.
Normally at the end of the job, I'm packing up and don't have the clipboard. I talk with them during the job, and most of them know me well. It's probably just in my head

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'd grab each side of the folded bill/s & Check, with a snapping motion of unfolding it fast like you wanting to rip it apart.. Snap it about 3 times and review it shouting payday or chaching....:lol:

I tend to write the check number as they write it out..

People need to understand Matty is just a bit weird himself... :stir:
Smart ass

steve_64

I tend to look over their shoulder too but like to wait to look at it up close before signing off on it.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The real question is, has anyone burned you doing this?

If not, don't sweat it. :winky:
No I've never been shorted on it.

But like I said earlier, if I don't know them or they look shady, I get out my reading glasses and look carefully

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I just it was really weird how my customer gave me his check upside down. It wasn't accidentally either. Because he looked at the check when he handed it to me. He's a long time customer also.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
My first year I had a lady short me $20! I was pissed but let it go. Should've made her write a new check.

Perfect opportunity to get a review. Had this happen on a check already written out and the customer didn't have anymore. Asked her to write a review on the cleaning and would apply that as a service credit for $20.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I just it was really weird how my customer gave me his check upside down. It wasn't accidentally either. Because he looked at the check when he handed it to me. He's a long time customer also.

Yes, that is somewhat odd.... And puzzling...

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen

Sometimes it is just a polite quirk. Like chewing with your mouth closed (watch someone ask what that means). Sometimes they tip and don't want a bunch of argument.

You can always slip it out for a peek while you prep for departure.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I just fold and place in my pocket.

I don't want them to see me doubting thier integrity.

Every once in a while this will backfire on me but it's worth it.

Check or cash, I ain't looking or counting.
Thank you Mike. That was the reasoning I was thinking, just couldn't put it into words. "Doubting their integrity".

I think they see it as a compliment when you don't look at it. It's freaking weird, but so are they sometimes

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Let me see if I have this correct - You are supposed to feel bad for verifying the money that you just earned? Is that about it? Has the bank ever sent you a overdraft notice? Banks verify, you should as well. IMHO never EVER apologize for asking for your earned income. Apply the Reagan approach - "Trust yet verify!"

Reactions: Nate The Great

steve_64

Not sure it's the customer or my attitude at the time but I've shoved money in my pocket without looking at it. A couple times I wasn't sure if I was suppose to give change or not so I started checking when I receive it.

Maybe I should start asking if they need change when I see it's cash?

Nahhh...

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I usually verify checks are written correctly and count cash (I do not see a problem with doing this) but last week a sweet little older lady handed me a sealed envelope as I was packing up the hoses.
I thanked her and put it in my back pocket.

Sure enough when I got back and opened the envelope it was $20 short.
Now that I think of it she did say my price was kinda high when I did the estimate.

Mikey P

Administrator
I usually verify checks are written correctly and count cash (I do not see a problem with doing this) but last week a sweet little older lady handed me a sealed envelope as I was packing up the hoses.
I thanked her and put it in my back pocket.

Sure enough when I got back and opened the envelope it was $20 short.
Now that I think of it she did say my price was kinda high when I did the estimate.

Lol

Was she right?

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
It is not a question of integrity, unless of course you don't trust them. Being imperfect anyone, anywhere and at anytime can make a mistake when counting cash. All you are doing is confirming their count.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom