Spots coming back

AdamDumphy

Name
Adam Dumphy
BDD29EBA-ED56-42F2-806E-6762478C7661.jpeg
7291122C-D1F4-4E40-B104-EC965BF02239.jpeg

Cleaned this customers stair case a week ago. His dog vomited on the landing the night before the cleaning. I was able to fully remove the vomit from the landing as the pictures show. He called my office staff today claiming the spot came back 8 days after the cleaning. I told my office staff to ask for pictures so I can see if it’s the same area or not. My guess is it’s a new dog accident. He’s asking for a free cleaning. Thoughts?

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
View attachment 104629View attachment 104630
Cleaned this customers stair case a week ago. His dog vomited on the landing the night before the cleaning. I was able to fully remove the vomit from the landing as the pictures show. He called my office staff today claiming the spot came back 8 days after the cleaning. I told my office staff to ask for pictures so I can see if it’s the same area or not. My guess is it’s a new dog accident. He’s asking for a free cleaning. Thoughts?

Do you have a picture of what the reappearing spot looks like now?

What products did you use to remove the spot?

Did you use a subsurface extraction tool?

Oh....and what did THEY use on it before you got there?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looks great!

You know it's not a fault of workmanship that caused it to come back. Was he told of the possibility?

If not, I would do it at no charge after explaining it probably got down into the pad, maybe even the wood subflooring. If he wants to be sure it's gone, the carpet could be disengaged from the installation, replace the pad, clean the back and surface and allow to dry before reinstalling.

If you pre-explained to him that you are paid for the effort not necessarily the results. Then of course return, reservice and bill him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walrus Gumboot

AdamDumphy

Name
Adam Dumphy

Waiting on customer to send a photo. He said they didn't use anything on the spot since I was coming the next day for his scheduled cleaning. All I used on the spot was my pre-spray.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
If I’m understanding you. The first pic is supposed to be the spot after it came back? I call BS. The customer’s lying. That is a fresh spot. I know my piss and vomit.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's not "your piss and vomit ". First picture is before he cleaned second picture is after. He, nor we know if the claimed spot is from the initial incident.

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Waiting on customer to send a photo. He said they didn't use anything on the spot since I was coming the next day for his scheduled cleaning. All I used on the spot was my pre-spray.

Let's wait till we all see the pic then.

I rarely believe that they don't at least deodorize puke, and I'm suspicious of the shape of the spot in relation to what dog vomit usually looks like when it happens.

I just don't trust people at all anymore.

Ask "Sweet Baby James" Chavez...I used to be a nice person.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if dog puke
Was watery , soaked down for who knows how long.

Possible (likely) it wasn't flushed properly or thoroughly enough
("properly" meaning up to and including Chevy's full monty if/when needed)

with a few days of traffic and recurring spot you have

Spidy-man

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Throw up is notorious for coming back due to wicking from carpet's glue layer and or pad. Either an excessive amount to begin with going into the pad, client's spotting efforts, possibly even you using too much pre-spray that pushes it in, and or residual products. Who knows.

Did you explain that it may come back and specified what will happen if it does or put it into you price?

Here is the really important question:

Is it a good client?

1. If Yes.- Go back and take care of it.
  2. If No.- Go back and take care of it.
Because it's about your reputation.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Throw up is notorious for coming back due to wicking from carpet's glue layer and or pad. Either an excessive amount to begin with going into the pad, client's spotting efforts, possibly even you using too much pre-spray that pushes it in, and or residual products. Who knows.

Did you explain that it may come back and specified what will happen if it does or put it into you price?

Here is the really important question:

Is it a good client?

1. If Yes.- Go back and take care of it.
  2. If No.- Go back and take care of it.
Because it's about your reputation.
So you're saying "Go back and take of it" ?
🤔

Twice 😂

Name
Evets

Jim, do you reccomend flushing with a water claw every suspect spot or spill that you encounter?
We have a problem with wick back on Berber, and, yes, we do everything to prevent it from occuring. Speed drying etc.
It seems to happen just about everytime we clean Berber carpet.
And it's the only time we get call backs.
Should we water claw every spill?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim, do you reccomend flushing with a water claw every suspect spot or spill that you encounter?
We have a problem with wick back on Berber, and, yes, we do everything to prevent it from occuring. Speed drying etc.
It seems to happen just about everytime we clean Berber carpet.
And it's the only time we get call backs.
Should we water claw every spill?

That wouldn’t be practical.

I asked Adam, not in judgment, but just to better understand the issue.

I recommend subsurface extraction on high volume spills (which could include vomit). The other thing that can be helpful even with subsurface extraction is the application of an anti wicking agent.

But I don’t want to get ahead of Adam’s situation until I know more.

Name
Evets
That wouldn’t be practical.

I asked Adam, not in judgment, but just to better understand the issue.

I recommend subsurface extraction on high volume spills (which could include vomit). The other thing that can be helpful even with subsurface extraction is the application of an anti wicking agent.

But I don’t want to get ahead of Adam’s situation until I know more.
Thanks for the reply, Jim.
Which anti-wicking agent are you referring to?
We post pad, speed dry Berber and still have wick back problems.
Didn't mean to jump on Adam's thread, but, well, I guess I did.
Thanks in advance!

sassyotto

Name
Paul
couple comments

1 what made you think to take a picture of the spot prior to cleaning it? ( nice that you did but I would find it time consuming to take a picture of every bad spot I clean before I clean it)

2 suggestion. usually when I see spots like that, I just rinse with water FIRST before using any cleaning agent for two reasons. it gives me a good idea of how easy it will be to remove (as most spots just rinse out with water) also, it makes the cleaning agent or whatever I decide to use that much more effective as it only needs to work on a fraction of the initial spot.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks for the reply, Jim.
Which anti-wicking agent are you referring to?
We post pad, speed dry Berber and still have wick back problems.
Didn't mean to jump on Adam's thread, but, well, I guess I did.
Thanks in advance!

Encapugard by Bridgepoint or Anti Resoiling Agent (“ARA”) by Pros Choice. Both can be lightly sprayed on and around the area and it usually prevents wicking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom