SS 370 design flaw?

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
That's my question today. And if it's the only kink I have to deal with so far with little less then 200 hours, then I'm fairly good with the machine.

First couple jobs I lost pressure. Thought I was shooting steam like with my old rig and propane heat. The pressure loss was intermittent so I ran it at Med and Low for couple weeks. Turns out the incoming pressure regulator needed adjustment. Interesting design to have a pressurized water box; perhaps its better then finding or manufacturing a float/valve that can thrive in 160-180 degree water.

What I've found with a pressure gauge on my incoming water hose is a wide variance of municipal water pressures. I go from jobs with private well systems to municipal. I've seen 28 psi private well all the way to 58 psi municipal. My distributor even has 80 psi municipal. And top it off my Watts pump (SS supplied with my water tank) has a solid 45 psi.

Yesterday I switched from my onboard tank to municipal and lost pressure couple minutes into cleaning. Kept my cool with a 1/2" wrench and made the adjustment (fairly simple for you SS owners, just open of the valve until you see the water box vent cap trickle a little relief water then back off a half a turn). Completed the job.

Had the valve apart 2 times. No broken parts, no sediment or debris. Valve has a data plate from a real manufacturer, pressure range and temp range printed on the tag. Hum, was this pressure reducing valve meant to have varying incoming pressures? The water box radiator style cap vents at approx 15 psi and that could vary as the water temps rises.

Waited a long time to replace my aging rig and thought I made the right choice (still do) and the real burning question is am I the only poor chump experience this issue? hum

Mikey P

Administrator
Are you running a screen/ filter on the garden hose?

My box was over flowing at first due to the mega high pressure most homes have here on the HC.

No problems since making one adjustment.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'd try a water pressure reducer(home depot, ace, etc), like 10 bucks. It helps somewhat. Also, the spigot doesn't need to be open full blast.

On my unit(older model) the water comes into waterbox right on top of the float. If pressure was very high it was not letting the float pop back up. Then the thing would dump water so it didn't over flow. Yours is newer shouldn't have these issues.

. Take care of it before the warranty is up.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Not really a design flaw, I think, but a limitation of any pressure regulator. The regulator has a "turndown" ratio - this means for any given outlet pressure the reg works over a certain range of inlet pressures. Where the inlet pressure varies wildly the reg will not be able to maintain the set pressure without constantly re-adjusting the screw. So, if the reg was set to provide 14 psi at the distributor's shop (80 psi in), then it won't be right when the inlet pressure falls to 28 psi.

This is a recognized limitation in the water industry. For these applications they recommend a two-stage setup (see the pic).

For your situation you could add a pre-regulator for when the inlet pressure was high (normal), and remove it for those very-low pressure situations. This would allow you to keep the primary regulator at a fixed setting.

I have attached the datasheet for your reg. At a differential pressure of 10 psi (like 25 in, 15 out), your reg has a capacity of only 1.8 gpm, and that's at a pressure reduction of 5 psi (the 15 psi out will drop to 10 when flowing 1.8 gpm). So at the very low well-water pressures you are operating very close to the limit.

So, setting the reg to work properly at that low pressure, then adding the pre-regulator when the inlet pressures are normal is a good solution (in my mind at least).

http://www.cashacme.com/cashacme/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/EB45_Spec_2014.pdf

PrReg2Stg.jpg

PrReg2.jpg

Reactions: Mikey P

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Or, just recognize the low pressure limitation and adjust the machine's reg when you encounter it.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
And if you do add the pre-regulator make it oversized (1-1/4 inch) to minimize flow restriction.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
That's my question today. And if it's the only kink I have to deal with so far with little less then 200 hours, then I'm fairly good with the machine.

First couple jobs I lost pressure. Thought I was shooting steam like with my old rig and propane heat. The pressure loss was intermittent so I ran it at Med and Low for couple weeks. Turns out the incoming pressure regulator needed adjustment. Interesting design to have a pressurized water box; perhaps its better then finding or manufacturing a float/valve that can thrive in 160-180 degree water.

What I've found with a pressure gauge on my incoming water hose is a wide variance of municipal water pressures. I go from jobs with private well systems to municipal. I've seen 28 psi private well all the way to 58 psi municipal. My distributor even has 80 psi municipal. And top it off my Watts pump (SS supplied with my water tank) has a solid 45 psi.

Yesterday I switched from my onboard tank to municipal and lost pressure couple minutes into cleaning. Kept my cool with a 1/2" wrench and made the adjustment (fairly simple for you SS owners, just open of the valve until you see the water box vent cap trickle a little relief water then back off a half a turn). Completed the job.

Had the valve apart 2 times. No broken parts, no sediment or debris. Valve has a data plate from a real manufacturer, pressure range and temp range printed on the tag. Hum, was this pressure reducing valve meant to have varying incoming pressures? The water box radiator style cap vents at approx 15 psi and that could vary as the water temps rises.

Waited a long time to replace my aging rig and thought I made the right choice (still do) and the real burning question is am I the only poor chump experience this issue? hum
my was defective right out of the box. i had to replace it. it does have to be adjusted correctly but now mine works perfect. loosen the lock bolt and turn the bolt in ( i think) to decrease pressure. the radiator cap has a pressure it opens at and you have to be below that pressure. its real simple connect a water source and turn on high, after the water starts coming out the radiator cap adjust the screw in until it stops. thats it.

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm having to take it over there tomorrow. The shut down thingy that keeps it from working if the AC or heater is turned on has quit working. And, I can hear a slight rise and fall in the rpms when running. They're probably both related.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'll have them change the pump and blower oil and adjust the belts while there. I'm about to get crazy busy for the next three months.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The 570 has those same issues and needs a little adjusting not a big deal like a water box flooding your truck

Last edited:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The 570 has those same issues and needs a little adjusting not a big deal line a water box flooding your truck
The over flow line should be run to drain outside. Even when adjusted perfect mine occasional spits out a little water. Once adjusted you shouldn't have to touch it again.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
dont over think what the valve does in this situation.. It just keeps the pressure below the rating of the radiator cap. If you set it just below the rating of the cap you'll get all the water you need. I have the same size and can run dual zippers wide open until I fill a 100 gal waste tank and never run out.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom