Stain Removal on Natural Stone

SuperDave212

Name
David
I specialize in Natural Stone in the South Fla area...Have a rooftop pool deck that has some discoloration that I haven't been able to remove. Tried my favorite Clear 40 peroxide, pool chlorine, mangia macchia poultice...I'm at a loss...

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 380

Mikey P

Administrator
yikes.

Did you see any improvement with the peroxide Dave?

My guess is that you have mold on the back side of those tiles leaching through.

JackHAMMER time.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
It's a mineral formation. tell tale in the formations on the crack. Path of least resistance for water thats getting under and evaporating out carring everything with it, The black could be coming from slate as well, as it is up steam from the drain.

If You can remove it, probably matter of time before it returns.

Get most of it on surface mechanically, razors or carbide tips or diamonds

Most will be on surface, however being unfilled trav, that black may be inside trav.

Last resort before replacement -try media blast or phosphric- then fill stone

Majority of roof tops hard surface, balconies, I see are not built correct and alway a problem

Reactions: Mikey P

SuperDave212

Name
David
40 clear peroxide didn't do a thing....was planning on filling the holes thru out the roof and putting an outdoor sealer when I removed the stain....since I'm a marble guy I can diamond grind it but thought it went to deep, media blast is a sand blasting??

Name
cameron demille
none of what you used will help with mineral deposits. You need acid and mechanical abrasion. Klenztone is great for dirt. Peroxide is great for tannins.

I don't think it's coming from the bottom, usually when it's black, it's standing water that gets hit with the sun and dries off the surface. Either way, acid and an abrasive brush, or grind it. I would rather grind it because it won't collect in as many areas afterwards, but this will be a repetitive thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom