Staircase Installation II

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Thanks Ron let me post some more . Here is a axminster 3/4 yd carpet . This means that there is a hand sewed seam on every step. This is the old weavers way . First loom in production was 27" .
scan0006.jpg
Top view looking down.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Re: Staircase Installation

Now this one here is an Ingrain which means it can be reversable pattern on both sides.
scan0003.jpg
Im sure you nascar fans are familiar with Jimmy Johnson.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers

Here is that ingrain and we also have a hand sewed border rug. These 3 steps on the bottom are handsewed along the nose . This is where the art of handsewing comes in. It is alot more tedious than wrapping the nose.
scan0004.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers

Here is a Axminster border . With a velvet strai field. There are 2 things against me they both don't stretch well in the width. The Ax don't bend that way at all. Personally beautiful step job. But a bad and tough decision on materials. Now the bottom 5 are handsewed along the nose . The bottom step was 9 ft wide.
scan0005.jpg

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Some really nice work there Harry.

Can I ask, when you do these custom installs, particularly those like on the bottom shaped treads, do you measure and then sew offsite, cut each piece and then sew onsite and then place on each tread, or sew insitu with hidden stitches?

I know for actual stair manufacture, we always cut out a single dimension template and then build it completely in the workshop, pull apart and re assemble onsite.

Just wondering how you go about that sort of thing with these.

Cheers, John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Those bottom stairs are done onsight . We need to match our pattern than cut. Yes it is sewed along the nose approx:/2 under so when you step you are not stepping on the seam. John I can cut by a round bull step mathemeticaly. But I still have to sew on sight. Thanks John.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Here is a round step hand sewed . goods were tufted material . This is called a HP backing actually is is made for glue downs.
P1020301_640x480.jpg
The step is marked.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Now I cut along the nose where I marked the stair. I am putting a locking stitch on this. Why we do not want it to rip open when fitting it tight to take shape.
P1020303_640x480_1.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
This is the step when completed . The 2nd step almost needed to be sewed but we use a steamer for manipulation to fit.
P1020305_640x480_1.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Now for a better view of why you have to sew the round steps to fit. As you could even see the pertrusion on the 2nd step.
P1020306_640x480_1.jpg

Cousin

Harry Myers said:
I hoped you enjoyed this. If not
let me know :D

It's crap, Harry...

No seriously, good work. Very nice finish on the bottom step.

What thread do you use for that sewing, and any idea on the life of the carpet nosing on something like that last step, when it's been cut and sewn.

M

Cousin

And on that last set of stairs, Harry, you stretched over the nosing instead of wrapping.
Client doesn't mind the gapping under the nosing?

M

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
M. On not one of my stairs the nosing is wrapped. CRI 104 and 105 state that carpet is not meant to wrap a full 180 degree's. It is meant to lay flat. So in all actuality any nosing that is wrapped in the U.S is wrong. But this is the objective, manufacturers do not warantee carpet on stairs. Whydo you ask , Why not wrap the nose . For 1 it distorts a pattern when wrapped over the nose it breaks up the pattern. When wrapping the nose the pattern is broken up. No, people that I deal with the high clientele . Do not mind the gap. Woven material is part of history as well as the historic homes I work in. So our intentions are to keep history preserved and not wrap the nose but do it like they did before the electric gun. :D

Cousin

Harry Myers said:
CRI 104 and 105 state that carpet is not meant to wrap a full 180 degree's.

Nothing shows up in our standard (AS/NZS 2455.1:2007) Harry. Most consumers here don't like the gap under the nosing, if it's not wrapped, and will often complain. Just a difference in markets, I guess.

So our intentions are to keep history preserved and not wrap the nose but do it like they did before the electric gun.

Ah, the bloody gun.

Many a good job is bought undone by someone having a ball with the staple gun. And the nosing wrap is often the worst offence.

M

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Mikey I charged for labor only $1400.00 . The job took all day but to go along with the rest of the home total earnings $3258.00. For 3 more runners (Sisal),cleaned daughters rug and rebound.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
M. You are right about this. Most people in the U.S want the noses wrapped. When dealing with designers alot of historical homes we try to keep it historical . Being that I do only designer work very seldome I wrap the noses . It is totally opposite. I can talk to a client and convince them the proper way to install the steps no problem. I taught alot of installation classes and they had the hardest times convincing people how to do it. As a matter of fact I did measure a stair job today and they do want the noses wrapped.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I've seen a very nice (to me) way of compromising between the two.

They wanted the nosings wrapped, yet it was an historic place so wanted to keep it looking as close to what was original and so they got a heaps of polished brass bars that ran along under the nosing to keep it in.

Doesn't sound like much but actually looked really nice contrasting to the vivid reds in the axminster.

Sorry, I didn't take any photos.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John as you discussed . I also recommended the use of a stair rod. John as I said when not wrapping the nosing this does not cause that hidden pattern under the nose . When doing waterfall style the pattern is not broken up. The pattern is stilll there. Gentlemen this is a beautiful staircase . You do not have to wrap the nose . Trust me try it for yourself. The stairs , the pattern the workmanship and yes you are doing it to regulation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom