Stanley Steemer Corporate in Dublin Ohio

Name
Nate W.
Like anyone that jumps into the "Rugs are where the money is at!" there is going to be a learning curve. I'm sure they have sought enough eduction to narrow that curve down as much as possible.

After that, I'd be afraid, I'd be very afraid. They have the marketing prowess to drive rugs to their door.

Will they take all your clients? No. But they will take the fence people. You know, those that know you are the best but if they can save several dollars a square foot they will be happy with second best. This segment seems to continue to grow, everyone is looking for a deal.

If you're in a large metro I'd begin to market against them (not by name) but attacking the "New Kids on the Block", the franchise approach, any chink in their armor. Where are they vulnerable what are their weaknesses?

Hit them hard with Guerilla Warfare. Lessen any blow they might have on your clientele. Even if they end up having no affect on your business, you'll have helped secure your clients for the future.
:cool:

P.S.
Oh and fire bomb Tom's house because he's going to keep selling equipment to them! ;)

J/K

So basically what someone else did in the Rug industry?!? :shifty:

Reactions: rhyde
Name
Lee Stockwell
"Our biggest competitor is those who don't get their carpet cleaned," he said. "If 90 percent of the population aren't getting it done, it'll be easier to move that needle than to take from competitors." From the article cited above, quoting Justin Bates, grandson of founder, Jack Bates.

As they throw millions to persuade that untapped 90% to let a professional to clean their carpets, WE WILL also benefit.

Reactions: Able 1 and Russ T.

Ron K

SS Can't control their "Hamburgers" like other franchises can. Just because they have nice new shiny yellow stuff doesn't mean they'll be successful or profitable but maybe memorable . Maybe Mr. Turner should buy a franchise and edumacate us all about great marketing.....or maybe just like Stan, keep dropping the price, another race to the bottom.... yea!

Name
Lee Stockwell
SS Can't control their "Hamburgers" like other franchises can. Just because they have nice new shiny yellow stuff doesn't mean they'll be successful or profitable but maybe memorable . Maybe Mr. Turner should buy a franchise and edumacate us all about great marketing.....or maybe just like Stan, keep dropping the price, another race to the bottom.... yea!
You sound a little grim Ron.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Basically I always say Stanley is not a cleaning company but a marketing company that provides cleaning. All things being equal the company that is a great marketer with average cleaning skills will end up more profitable than a great cleaning company with average marketing skills.

Plus Stanley understands the cleaning consumer (women) better than anyone else. Hopefully this doesn't disturb the sleeping beast Lisa who will constantly tell me how wrong I am about women.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Basically I always say Stanley is not a cleaning company but a marketing company that provides cleaning. All things being equal the company that is a great marketer with average cleaning skills will end up more profitable than a great cleaning company with average marketing skills.

Plus Stanley understands the cleaning consumer (women) better than anyone else. Hopefully this doesn't disturb the sleeping beast Lisa who will constantly tell me how wrong I am about women.

Yep, never felt like a competitor ever held me back in this industry.
Its always areas I can improve in.

Reactions: rick imby

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
One of points I will make is this: Some owner operators have great intentions but fail to succeed in business. Often they really like the cleaning business and wish they could continue and make a go at it. Additionally, among some very fine techs, you will hear that they too like the business, but sadly their employer cannot adequately fulfill their compensation needs, including benefits. My experience is that this corporation has helped many in these circumstances that are serious to succeed. As Stanley Steemer aims higher for results, by offering one stop shopping with various add on services, success will continue to be evitable. Please note my disclaimer: This of course is just my opinion, not necessarily that of this board.

Reactions: TomKing

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Billy, Billy, Billy.

I have no doubt that they make good money.
I have no doubt that they're honest and good intentioned.
I have no doubt they are great at marketing.

However, please read their consumer (women) reviews (In your fair city and many others- http://www.yelp.com/biz/stanley-steemer-carpet-cleaning-carmel )

And please explain to me again, how it is that they understand the consumer (women) better than everyone else.
Is our definition of consumer (women) different?
Are you swayed by the beauty of their marketing?

Good marketing and creating a professional image is different than understanding, keeping clients happy and as a result retaining them. Fundamentally different. And if they don't get it, do they really understand clients?

It is the difference between getting the client for one time (let us call it by its name: "renting" a client) and keeping them for life.
It's the difference between having to constantly advertise to get a stream of new clients or your business may die, and not having to advertise much at all.

Granted, it is a business on a different scale.

I wonder how much feedback you get from actual individual clients. Not other carpet cleaning companies owners. Real consumers.
I do every day. Been good for my business.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It is a pretty slick operation. I worked at the outfit in Rochester, NY back in probably '02. I already had some carpet cleaning experience when I started.

They used to follow up with a phone call to EVERY job. There were "call backs" every day. Some days, several. In no time I found myself part of the damage control squad with another quality minded tech. We would go re clean and smooth everything over with the customer from the day before.

I couldn't make any money there. It just wasn't a good fit for me. I can remember getting really embarrassed when my trainer was "teaching" me to sell. They sold rakes, door mats, spotters, etc... Truth is the tech HAS TO UPSELL to make any money at all. My checks were miserably small (part of being the quality guy I suppose) Maybe that has changed?

Incredible marketing. A VERY recognizable brand, probably more than anyone in this biz so much to learn from them.

I'm not afraid but I bet Zerorez might be. Both are in my area. I agree that the marketing some of these larger companies do actually helps us smaller guys.

Take the time to educate YOUR customers on why YOU are the best. Don't let them think all carpet cleaning is the same. It's definitely not and the most discriminating customers will love you for it.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
As some smart Philosopher once said "A Jack of all trades, Master of none". No matter how great you think your company is, you can't master all the different opportunities available in the carpet cleaning trade, and insure each one is at the top of it's domain.

Only Saiger can do that........

F

FB7777

Very impressive, good luck to them

Interesting thread

Of course I fall on the side of the business owners here and not the one truck Chucks who would bring in zero revenue if they broke their leg tomorrow

It's amazing how guys with the least real world experience of running an operation vs owning a job have the strongest opinions on how others should create wealth

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Very impressive, good luck to them

Interesting thread

Of course I fall on the side of the business owners here and not the one truck Chucks who would bring in zero revenue if they broke their leg tomorrow

It's amazing how guys with the least real world experience of running an operation vs owning a job have the strongest opinions on how others should create wealth
Interesting diatribe coming from a one and a half truck Chuck.
Nobody here has an issue with trying to create wealth Chucky. And creating a dependable income source is something we all strive for. You, of all people, also knows that there's more then one way to get there.

On the other hand blind adoration at the altar of .....is just that.

Did you ever talk with one of their employees?
With some of their ex-clients?
Legitimate issues of client and employee retention, should at least raise some questions, even in the eyes of the most blindly admiring fan.

To sum it up:
I have no doubt they will make money off it. We can all learn from their marketing. They certainly know how to make money and run their business. We do understand that running a large operation is very different than running one truck. We understand about grabbing and increasing market share, no doubt a good and smart move on Stanley's part.

Your point about creating a source of income not dependent on our physical well being is well made and valid. On the other hand, not every o/o is capable of or suited to run a larger operation. Different set of skills and different life choice which you don't seem to grasp. Surely, it hasn't escaped you, that the road from a successful O/O operation to a larger size company is strewn with far more failures than the occasional success.

Us Chucks, or at least this one, also knows that we actually benefit from their presence. They help us differentiate ourselves and if done smartly capitalize on it. Every little help in helping us create more wealth, is appreciated.

I do wonder though, how the one and a half Chuck, aspiring to be two Chucks, will fare?
As IMHO it is the smaller semi sized companies that will be more vulnerable to the Stanleys of the world than the measly well run o/o.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As IMHO in the market place, it is the smaller semi sized companies that will be more vulnerable to the Stanleys of the world than the measly well run o/o
I was thinking the midsized established companies that already have an established name in the market place would come under the most fire. The smaller companies I think will be insulated by their relationship, with the exception of the "fence people". The larger Hagopian's, DA Burn's won't feel it anymore than normal competition.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Customer retention and employee retention MUST be Stanley's biggest issues. I really do think they are a concern for them. I bet the big guys at the top would agree.

Reactions: rhyde

rhyde

Name
rhyde

I'm not a one person person rug cleaning plant so I don't know what you're talking about?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Only cleaners they will hurt is the milkman who dont advertise. As Tom stated the voice will be louder and more often, so the pool of prospects will grow.

In my market nobody even advertises rug cleaning, somebody could clean up.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I was thinking the midsized established companies that already have an established name in the market place would come under the most fire. The smaller companies I think will be insulated by their relationship, with the exception of the "fence people". The larger Hagopian's, DA Burn's won't feel it anymore than normal competition.
You may be right.
I would speculate that it would mostly affect the companies that did not develop a personal relationship with their clients and or never created both real and perceived added value.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I would speculate that it would mostly affect the companies that did not develop a personal relationship with their clients and or never created both real and perceived added value.

Is this not always the case in selling a service or commodity? With your permission, I may quote you at Rug Summit 9.

Reactions: rick imby and ruff

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Everyone in this business has their place in the market. During the 40 years I have been in this business, I have watched Sears, Stanley Steemer, Service Master, Serve Pro etc, etc, ect, come in to my market with TV, Radio, newspaper, full page Yellow page ads. After a few years they burn enough customers, some of mine who try them for a cheaper price, then the slowly fade away. Building personal relationships on service, trust and dependability will give you multiple generations of loyal customers to help you by new Butler's etc:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom