Stanley Steemer with Twisted Sister

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Re: Re: Stanley Steemer with Twisted Sister

truckmount girl said:
randy said:
I don't think that's "killer marketing" I think it's typical ad agency thinking with ZERO thought given to the demographics (who you are trying to sell) and Psychographics (why they buy). I would be willing to bet that 70-80% of purchasers of carpet cleaning services can't even identify who Twisted sister is. Add in the folks that find men dressed as women offensive or hate that type of crap music and the ad is a flop. When you link to a celebrity you are linking to their reputation and accepting their morality in the eyes of most consumers. JC Penny recently experienced this with their selection of Ellen Degeneres.

Stanley is incredibly ignorant to be targeting buyers of carpet cleaning services (the majority of which are women 30 years or older) with this nonsense. Any one of a million clearly recognizable female pitch women would have been a better choice. For example the women regularly doing the selling on QVC or Home Shopping network. People call up and talk to them on the air and know them by name.

Twisted Sister might be a good choice if you were trying to sell illegal drugs to newbie carpet cleaners age 18-28. For the old farts that have to google twisted sister to find out they are some cross-dressing weirdo rock group, not so much.

While I agree with some of what you said, most of TS's audience is/was now in their 40's and 50's. My 18 year old wouldn't know who they were.

QVC? HSN? Really???? I've never ordered from it, talked to anyone on it and have never watched it longer than to see what it is and switch channels. I don't know anyone my age (49) who orderes from it or watches it. but my grandma did at the end of her life.

Their best catch for a celebrity would be Victoria Stillwell or Caesar the Dog Whisperer.

And if working with Ellen Degeneres hurt JC Penney - shame on the public, not JC Penney.

Take care,
Lisa

I agree with Lisa on all points. (Except i have no idea who Victoria Stillwell is :shock: )I think they hit their target very well. You did notice the husband who looked to be in his 50's was the one acting a fool while the classy wife looked on and then cleaned up his mess right.

Also although I'm against gay marriage and would undoubtedly disagree with Ellen DeGeneres on a lot of topics she is by every account I've ever seen a great person and it would be stupid to boycott some business because she is representing them. I would be proud to have her speaking for my company.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lars

Name
Lars
I think they have good commercials, it makes my customers think of me. They tell me if I have seen the ads and we share some good laughs.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Lisa's 18 year old daughter is barely half the age of our starting demo and 1/3 the age of the other edge of our core (W35-54). The fact that she doesn't know who TS is is irrelevant. We skew older not younger so W35-64 is our expanded demo.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Interestingly Lisa reccomended 2 dog trainers for carpet cleaning commercials.

Wouldn't that be counter productive.

I would think you could churn more clients from prospects that don't know any dog trainers.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
it got you talking about it so I think it worked

Dee has been everywhere lately, book, rock of ages, he is trying to make as much as he can on his second times around since he is popular again.

Dee also has a syndicated radio show called , "House of Hair". "If it ain't metal it's crap" is the tag line

plans local here Saturday nights

Walt

Did anyone notice that it was really the husband who looked like a fool?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My 17yr old daughter's response was wondering if it actually got a response, other than from other carpet cleaners :roll:
Her other response wrt the man being the fool was that its depicting of typical household america where the man's a drunk, or a fool, or a jerk. Men aren't being "men" any more.

I did notice, he didn't vacuum first shiteatinggrin

Chris A

Name
Chris
I think it will resonate with a lot of gen xrs who are becoming the bigger segment of our client base. Remember, a lot of those moms used to listen to the crap their guys listened to just to make them happy so I think more will recognize dee than you think. Some of you guys just hate Stanley just to hate Stanley. You should come up with something better and out-market them...

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Walt said:

That is the problem, men in general, husbands and fathers in particular are made to look like buffoons. Pay attention to commercials and most of the tv shows. We are supose to be the providers protectors and leaders of our family'. You have commercials like the current one for a flea and tick treatment for dogs, the wife walks in and finds her husband wearing googles rubber gloves and apron struggling to apply the treatment.

Go back you have a Toyota commercial where this guy is building a tree house for his son, he's excited about it and goes to tell him it's finished and the boy and a friend are sitting in the van watching a movie and the snotty little attitude really gets me. Ford had onewhere the little girl wanted her dad to drop her off and let her walk to a place because she wash ashamed because she didn't think they had a hybrid. What happened to us? I remember a Budweiser commercial where this guy came home from work he was dirty and went to get a shower and his wife came in and left him a Bud sitting on the edge of the shower. You don't see many like this nowadays do you? I'm not saying they all have to be like this but more of it would sure be nice.

I'm not saying poking a little fun for a laugh isn't ok but this type of stuff goes on over and over. How long would it last if it was being directed at women or some ethnic group? Not long you can bet on that.

mcatt

Name
Mike
WOW! All over some commercials. I guarantee you they have had a large pickup in biz since they started running these funny commercials. If they didn't they would change them up or stop them all together. I think jack in the box was about to close it's doors prior to those commercials with the big headed jack doing silly stuff. Now they are busy. I for one like most of them and anything promoting our industry is fine with me.
There just saying that when life happens will be there to clean it up!

Connor

Name
Connor
RGH269 said:
Walt said:

That is the problem, men in general, husbands and fathers in particular are made to look like buffoons. Pay attention to commercials and most of the tv shows. We are supose to be the providers protectors and leaders of our family'. You have commercials like the current one for a flea and tick treatment for dogs, the wife walks in and finds her husband wearing googles rubber gloves and apron struggling to apply the treatment.

Go back you have a Toyota commercial where this guy is building a tree house for his son, he's excited about it and goes to tell him it's finished and the boy and a friend are sitting in the van watching a movie and the snotty little attitude really gets me. Ford had onewhere the little girl wanted her dad to drop her off and let her walk to a place because she wash ashamed because she didn't think they had a hybrid. What happened to us? I remember a Budweiser commercial where this guy came home from work he was dirty and went to get a shower and his wife came in and left him a Bud sitting on the edge of the shower. You don't see many like this nowadays do you? I'm not saying they all have to be like this but more of it would sure be nice.

I'm not saying poking a little fun for a laugh isn't ok but this type of stuff goes on over and over. How long would it last if it was being directed at women or some ethnic group? Not long you can bet on that.

X2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom