Staying Afloat by being Diverse - Property Management

jerry ACC

Name
Jerry Lightcap
I read more and more posts about our business' being slow these days. I too have been scraping by, but I've found that being able to adapt to what is happening has boosted my income well. Property Management and Realtors have been more than willing to hire a contractor that can do all or most of their cleaning on a single invoice. With apartments turning over and homes all over the market, this is the time to adjust. I have been doing Interior painting (got more than I could handle so I'm Subbing most), Roof Cleaning, Tub Refinishing, Stove Cleaning, Dryer vent cleaning and just about any other cleaning that can be done.

Here is a typical Tub job done in 4 hours this week for a Property Management Company. Total investment for materials around $40. My refurbing price is $350.00. A simple brush painting DIY kit from any local hardware store, 2 1/2 inch brush, Scraping razors. I've done 11 of these so far and the ones I've done over three years ago are still holding up well. This is any easy sell at less than a one 12th of the cost of replacement, and almost all of my 1200 management units will need it eventually. Anyone interested in any info (tricks-tips) email me.
PS. I wonder what Monkey Pads would do for a tub ? (I emailed but never got a response)

cleaning005.jpg

tub008.jpg

cleaning006.jpg

tub005.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
WHISKER said:
but I've found that being able to adapt to what is happening has boosted my income well. Property Management and Realtors have been more than willing to hire a contractor that can do all or most of their cleaning on a single invoice. With apartments turning over and homes all over the market, this is the time to adjust. I have been doing Interior painting (got more than I could handle so I'm Subbing most), Roof Cleaning, Tub Refinishing, Stove Cleaning, Dryer vent cleaning and just about any other cleaning that can be done.

we started doing it in a big way in '01.
It's been a tremendous help to keep my 2 full time Little Genies busy in slow times.
It's really the only thing that keeps us "full time" busy in winter

To one of our accounts, we've become a "one stop shop" for ALL their needs.
(not just painting and cleaning)
We've done roofs, decks, demolition , siding, gutters, replaced broken windows, water proofing, poured concrete pads, emergency maintenance service calls, you name it.
if they have a need, I want to handle it.
What we're not qualified to do or are too busy to get to, we sub out

dig this, I got call last week from one of out PM accounts about muddy drive ways at a couple houses.
i called my contact with a dump truck, he gave me a price, I added 15% for me, and will make a couple bucks for doing nothing more than mashing buttons on my cell phone.

It ain't for everyone, and if you don't have the experience/qualifications or qualified contacts to sub, you can get jammed up big time.
Even with the right contacts, it can be a nightmare when things are hopping and you have 25 irons in the fire on a dozen properties going at the same time.

..L.T.A.

RandyHilburn

The profit margins of bathtub refinishing are pretty good - especially if you use an HVLP spray rig. One coat can be applied in under 5 minutes and you can cut at least an hour off brush painting/sanding time (probably more).

With a HVLP rig, your finsihed product will be much smoother (without having to sand out the brush marks). The Graco 3800 is pretty good. Purchased new, you can get one for under $1000, but you can buy them used for around $500.

We use our housekeepers to clean, prep and mask. Our painters etch, spray and caulk. I believe our material cost run close to $40, but a straight-up refinishing job is invoiced closer to $250. However, with tubs repairs, our average invoice runs close to $325. Refinishing the surround adds another hundred dollars. The good money comes when we do an apartment with two full bathrooms (tub, surround, sink, countertops) and then refinsh kitchen countertops needing a few minor repairs. The job can be finished in about five hours with a sale between $1000 and $1300+ and then send your painter to the next job and do it again.

The work is done in an air-conditioned environment and the heaviest thing you lift is a 35lb spray rig.

KOOSER55

Id like to get into doing this, this is the first ive heard about it. Do you know of any links that i could do some research about it?

RandyHilburn

Michael,

Go to YouTube.com and do a search on bathtub refinishing and another search on HVLP spray rigs. Finally, go to http://www.integritycoatings.com/index.html and study their web site.

If you're already doing grout and tile cleaning, this is just an extended service. Especially with property management companies.

steve r

just get some decent commercial accounts.i use to think i needed to do other work than carpet cleaning but now i know its easier to just get better carpet cleaning accounts.

Scott

steve r said:
just get some decent commercial accounts.i use to think i needed to do other work than carpet cleaning but now i know its easier to just get better carpet cleaning accounts.

I totally agree

borat_thumbs_up_narrowweb__300x504,0.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom