SteamGenie/Dodge combo problem for Bawb

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Bawb, have you ever heard of a SG mounted in a dodge that after it ran for a while the tranny fluid would run out of the vent of the transmission? This has happened a few times and I talked with a few tranny shops, finally found one that told me this particular transmission doesn't move fluid very well and in a PTO application would likely get hot and push fluid out the vent. Tech suggested fluid may move a bit better in neutral than park, so I started running in Neutral. Works pretty good, but still get a little fluid on really hot days. Have you heard of this before and is there a fix, besides a drip pan in the driveway?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
rhino1 said:
Bawb, have you ever heard of a SG mounted in a dodge that after it ran for a while the tranny fluid would run out of the vent of the transmission? This has happened a few times and I talked with a few tranny shops, finally found one that told me this particular transmission doesn't move fluid very well and in a PTO application would likely get hot and push fluid out the vent. Tech suggested fluid may move a bit better in neutral than park, so I started running in Neutral. Works pretty good, but still get a little fluid on really hot days. Have you heard of this before and is there a fix, besides a drip pan in the driveway?

Neutral is only one click away from D OR R...
with NO safety cog between like Park has.......i would never do that......

we put one in a Dodge one time wit nary a problem.....

[ vent of the transmission/quote]

never heard of one........on any trans!

either the front seal or the rear seal...i'm thinking!

prolly front

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
maybe somewhere along the way you got a wrong trans dipstick...
and you're overfilling it????

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The steam genie I used for many years was in a Dodge, 1999 if I remember right. Never had that problem either, and the machine is still in that van today. 10 years or better now.

One thing to consider.... if you don't have a safety switch on the steam genie to install one.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Hoody said:
The steam genie I used for many years was in a Dodge, 1999 if I remember right. Never had that problem either, and the machine is still in that van today. 10 years or better now.

One thing to consider.... if you don't have a safety switch on the steam genie to install one.

Seems the tranny/vent and low fluid pressure problem was only on a few years models. I didn't know there was a vent either, but this was confirmed by another shop as well, seems this year Dodge this is a well known issue.

For now, 2 sets of wheel chocks is probably safer than an old tranny lock. The safety switch is installed and works fine. It allows the machine to run in either Park or Neutral.

The front seal leak was also my first suspect, but there is no leakage while the van is sitting, or while it runs on cooler days. Only hot days when it has run for a longer time does it leak - once or twice actually POURED out like it was being pumped.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Lee Stockwell said:
An extra oil cooler may help?

Also a good idea I considered. Tranny guy said that won't help because the tranny just doesn't circulate fluid very well in Park, so it won't be able to push fluid thru another cooler.

Might just have to plug in an airmover and have it blow under the truck on hot days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom