Still have belt issues.

Mikey P

Administrator
If you remember I was getting a screeching belt noise after I swapped mine out a couple of weeks ago.

I took Lee's advice and tightened the tension pulley and all was good for a solid week. Now when I single wand and put some load on the blower the ol' belts are screeching again.

Cant really tell if its the Blower or the pump belts but when it's boggin/screeching I can see the blower belts slow down a bit.
I can induce the problem by running one wand over 1600 rpms or capping off my spring relief valve.

Take your best guess.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
You said the belts didn't screech after you tightened the tension pulley. Maybe it came a little loose again. Try to tighten it one more time.

Belts screech when they are slipping, I would tighten it a little more.

There is no grease from the blower on them is there?

G

Did you call Vortex or FMI. I am not being a smart ass. If I had a problem, I would call the company that sold it to me. They should have an answer for you.

My answer is if they are screaching they are still not tight enough.

Dave

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i adjusted my belts 3 times they stretch a bit

i don't know why they don't have a bolt tensioner like most cars where you simply turn a bolt to add tension and then a set screw

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you have 2 bolts the pivot bolt holds it just as much....get a good size pry bar and put under the tension pulley and crank down...........

and make sure you tighten both bolts

1/2 to 3/4 inch play only on the belt.................

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks Jim...

You amaze me sometimes..

How a guy can swap out a fresh tank yet not figure out his lid is off just blows me away.

You're not Bi Polar are you?

Maybe you do get walk ups but Not So Bright Jim takes over at that point and blows cigarette smoke in their faces.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
LMAO..... way back when...I walk into interlink with a brand new Chevy van and had them put a brand new CDS in it.........

from that day on.........every sound .movement.......ETC,ETC I tuned myself in and that is what I learned.........and for all I knew it could of been way off........

same with the Vortex.I can be cleaning and know by sound when the diverter valve moves back and forth.so the sounds I here are what I was use to from the day I got it to Tucson......

I have worked on mechanical things all my life......but that does not make me a expert on new things I still have to learn them.that is why the fresh tank did not intimidate me at all......

or any changes or problems are pretty easy with this machine as big as it is it really is simple once you understand it........

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Jim Martin said:
you have 2 bolts the pivot bolt holds it just as much....get a good size pry bar and put under the tension pulley and crank down...........

and make sure you tighten both bolts

1/2 to 3/4 inch play only on the belt.................

but it's kind of a PITA with a Screw Adjustment Tensioners ( i have one on a truck of mine) all you need is a socket wrench no pry bar just turn the screw

this is a Screw Adjustment Tensioner for chain but it's the same

http://www.brewertensioner.com/screwadjust.html

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The screw adjusters (tensioner ) like what is on the cat pump
I can't never get a straight pull on it and the v-belt does not like to seat into the pulley as straight as it should......... I hate that thing.........

I like the design on the blower belts.....you can really get on it and crank and not worry to much and it will always seat the belts nice.................

A spring loaded tensioner would be nicer so it has a constant load on it but not to sure if it would work that great on 3 belts that size.it would have to be a pretty heavy spring............

RichardnTn

Too High Hg for the belts...As a general rule, a pump doesn't present enough resistant to cause the belts to scherk.....Richard R

T

The Magician

Post above maybe too high hg. Wat type and what name belts do you use.?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
3.... banset v belts

5VX -800...
5VX.gif

some of the best belts out there IMO I have used theses in other motor applications in MN and in OK....and here in Tucson.......

it can handle some high toque and once they seat themselves they will give you a long life with no problems..........the whole key with these type belts are to seat them and let it run and allow them to re seat them self and then check the re check the tension

Attachments

• 5VX.gif
    5VX.gif
    14 KB · Views: 158
T

The Magician

Good info Jim. You not only impress Mike but me too. lol Your the man.

Now you see the spots.....But where are they??

RichardnTn

Jimmy, I have experienced belt problems when I cranked the hg up too much. Steamway 7200 for one..... The kind of belt wasn't a factor once the limits of the power conveyance was reached.. Resistance to rotation is a factor but may not necessarily be the cause in this case. Another factor is that if more than one belt is being used, first quality belts must be used. I have experienced belts that stretched at a different rate, wore at a different rate, etc. Goodyear has some high quality belts as well as Gates. Sometimes because of heat, the belts will glaze as will the pulleys and can cause some noise. I am not saying that this is the cause of the specific problem but when your experiencing difficulties, throwing all possibilities into the mix can help...thanks for the question and best to you,

Richard R

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Thanks...... but I am really not here to impress no one.......hell I can't even get walk ups.I am no different from anyone here........

just sharing what I know from years of working with things like this........

Matt King

Amen to that... For High Lift-High CFM set ups like that 9.9 of his, direct coupled is the only way to go. Belts Will slip. Couplers will not. It's not even debatable... In order to get the belts to hold you'd either have to have Multiple belts 4 or 5 (might) do it, OR you'll have to lock down those belts so damn tight you'll stress the shafts and you can count on pre-mature bearing Failure.

T

The Magician

I have used belts and direct coupled. Direct is best. Some of the others HM, Richs TM. I believe master blend.

JohnnyV

I agree with Matt....I was just getting ready to say that the Bearings will usually only take so much Side loading. Are these "Matched" belts? When using multiple belts,none of them will stretch exactly the same unless they are a matched set. Call the company that Screwed you over....I mean sold you your machine and see what their recommendation is for belt tension. Why don't they use Large Cogged Belts if they're going to use belts at all?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Cogged belts don't really hold that well...They are great in some applications but you have really got to stay on top of them if they loose any slight tension they will strip the "teeth"...and they are masters at slipping under torque.

If the equipment is not set up right or if the belt wrap is off then you can get bearing tension and burn them up................another problem I have seen is pulley wrap............you want a set up that is going to give you 1/2 to 3/4 set on the pulley...this will give better tension and grip.........

I have seen huge 3 phase motors.....wear bearings... snap couplings/worm gears ...belts....and even some gear chain........because of the set up being wrong........I have also seen all the above run forever with no pre-mature wear
on anything just because someone took the time and really watched the set up.........

we all have our preference

I will always like belt driven........I would rather torque and throw a belt then break or twist a coupling...........and if you have to..belts and even bearings are easy fixes.......most (no all) couplers aren't so for giving

One thing that I noticed on the Vortex PTO was they used pillar block bearings..........this is helping the shafts and belts out because with using them if you are off some the bearing will adjust itself in the "cradle" and make up for it.......IMO it is a good strong design..........

charlie brown

Belts

Mike check the Blower and drive line sheaves . If The sides of the grooves are shiny this may be an indication they are worn and causing slippage. A thought CB (PS) Jim those are pillow block bearings. How's the hose real?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
same thing just depend on what side of the state line you are on LOL

The real is a monster trying to find a place for it.I have had it in the truck 3 different times and pulled it back out because it was in my way But I will find a spot sooner or later

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

I agree with you on the durability of the 5VX series belts. They are the latest technology.

We are using them on our new 38HP TM with the #56 Blower.

Larry Cobb

Name
Lee Stockwell
If Mikey will get a new set of matched belts, and install them without using a pry bar to jump them onto the pulley, he will likely get much improved service out of them.

Actually I suspect one or more of the previous belts was "herniated" by the install and subsequently was looser than the others.

Read up on "dynamic" vs "static" friction and you will understand why slippage only gets worse once it starts.

Back
Top Bottom