stinky resturant carpet question and opinions..fast please

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i got a call from a local resturant asking if we could please come fix what the last cleaner did. on christmas eve the guy came in with a port and some grease eraser and went to town, i get the call on sat because it is still wet and smells like ass...really bad, to the point that customers are walking out. i go out sat afternoon and yes it stinks bad..smells like wet resturant carpet..(it is a wing joint) about 1100 sqft of cgd. i re clean and add 2 oz per gallon of quat..mand the carpet was night and day cleaner and the smell was 95% gone..i set up 3 blowers and left..i checked in with him this morning and he said it was so much better but was still just a little bit there..no walk outs or even mentions from customers but the staff and him still had a little twinge.
should i go back and just lay down some more quat at 2oz per gallon and let it work its magic? i dont because it was wet for 3 days festering that it is in the system and needs to just air out or if it is there head. i am going to go back out there as soon as i get my game plan down, if i am going to just quat it i will go out there tonight just before they close so it can sit all night with blowers on..
thanks
dave

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I believe Quat needs to be rinsed out, if your going to reclean it in the next couple of weeks than you might be OK, DD-12 or another product might be better if resoiling is a concern.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Get one of those cansisters that we looked at last month and place inside the air return. I would say the odor is still in the air and air ducts more so than the carpet. Wouldn't hurt to spray down some quat or some that of that unsmoke you got while treating the air itself.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
yea i was thinking it was in the vents as well...the first thing i told him to do yesterday was turn on the ac as low as he could..and keep it there so it has been running since yesterday at about 10am.
i am pretty sure you can spray quat w/o rinsing it but would like to hear from les or greenie on that now that you mention it.
dave

Name
Lee Stockwell
Unsmoke bad odor blocks in air return. Chemeisters Proliminator Sunshine oversprayed on the carpet.

Let them know it is their problem, but that you are fixing it. Schedule next cleaning for second or third week in January with the promise that it will be so much cleaner that their customers will comment on how clean the whole restaurant "feels". You will make them have more business than what the cleaning will cost.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I hope your being compensated for the extra effort, if not it sounds like a few more days & the smell wont be noticeable.

Other options to consider...

Using an enzyme pre spray or Microbans Clean Carpet Sanitizer Prespray.
Padcapping with Vac Aways Wham.

What products do you have to choose from?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yeah, we have to keep in mind that it's Sunday, and I doubt he has a whole lot of choice in what he can get his hands on. In my opinion, if all you have is the Quat, then that's what you use. You can use you own judgement on if you are going to warn him about the resoiling issues, or not.

His immediate concern is the smell, and that's what I would address.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
smell the carpet before you start throwing more stuff down and make sure that is where the smell is coming from ..if not then it is probably just lingering in the air and on things in the building...the owner and others are more sensitive to the smell seeing how they worked in it all day and the smell is probably stuck in there head...
and may be lingering around on other things and just may need a day to air out...frabreze it....

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
thanks for the advise..it is pretty much the rout i was going to go i just want the experience to back it up.
i got .40 per sq to do the cleaning and if it requires any major undertaking i will charge him a little more, if it is just a swing by snif the carpet and spray a little i will not charge him and will hopefully reap the benefits in the long run. he is already scheduled to be cleaned again in mid jan. i was trying to talk michel (my wife) into sniffing the carpet but she has not stopped laughing and that was a hr ago so i guess it is me..
i will post up what i have and what i do.
thanks again
dave

p.s. i wonder if i would be better off laying down some microban or quat if the carpet does have any odor.
i have a bunch if unsmoke products but dont want to put anything to strong down. he says it is a faint smell so i dont think it is going to take much of anything to over power and get out of his head.
i am going to put a sticky smeller in his ac system.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
What type of floor is under the carpet. I would wonder if it is wood and whether that might be still wet and causing the odor.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I like cobbs powermax and duanes onestep mixed strong for a rinse and that combo will make you a hero. Onestep leaves the carpets smelly like oranges for days afterwards.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dave;

Wet carpet for 3 days would most likely lead to fungal growth.

Quats are not the best solution for fungi.

Straight Microban lightly sprayed, would be more effective.

Larry

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
thanks larry..i was more thinking i would be better off with the microban as well.
the powermax really did a great job on the nasty greasy crap hole of carpet..i mixed it a little strong and mixed it really really hot.
i am going to sniff the carpet at 7:30pm so i will check back in before i leave and will post the results when i return

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I think Doug Cox is right and the floor is still wet. Concrete can hold a lot of moisture. Have the owner keep the air conditioner on (high) and use as many air movers as you can after business hours, the smell should go away when everything is completely dry.
If you are considering using Microbans Clean Carpet Sanitizer Prespray or Microban, read the MSDS of both products. I like the Disposal Considerations and Regulatory Information sections.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This is a common problem, and its not always easy to fix.

Think about what happened:

The carpet was probably already gross (see Mike's post "Embedded Sushi"). The decaying food and drink spills were already breeding bacteria when the "other guy" applied warm water to make everything grow even more quickly. So now you have a bacterial byproduct odor that smells more foul than fungus, with an added culture of fungus to join right in.

I've had decent success with Microban Clean Carpet Sanitizer, but it usually takes a few tries. Any of the above mentioned ideas will likely help, but as long as that carpet is a bacteria and fungus factory, its going to be tough to fix it.

Get a release that the original problem is the other guy's fault. Otherwise, once you touch it, he's off the hook and you are on the hook.

DRScrivner

Grab the last cleaner by the scruff of the neck, rub his nose in the carpet, and then throw him outside.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
yea it has already been documented that it is the other guys fault..matter of fact from what i understand they are going to give him my bill..i got a check when i did the job but they are going to try to pass it on to him...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
DRScrivner said:
Grab the last cleaner by the scruff of the neck, rub his nose in the carpet, and then throw him outside.

Glad you don't have to come in after any of my jobs.......... :D

DRScrivner

Jim Martin said:
DRScrivner said:

Glad you don't have to come in after any of my jobs.......... :D
Me too cuz I'd have to use my Urine Stain Remover after I pissed my pants that you'd allow something this to happen, cuz I know you wouldn't.

Rex Tyus

You guys say "spray microban" like that is a product or something. Microban is a brand. THey make lots of shit. Are you refering to the Institutional Spray Plus or the QGC.... QGC is a quat no?

If you have treated the carpet with A QGC or equivelent then yes I concur, I would use the Intitutional Spray Plus for the odor knockdown effect.

Rex Tyus

I wouldn't suggest using the X-580 in a rest. It contains a pesticide. The institutional spray plus would be better in my opinion. See what I mean about products instead of brand names. It gets confusing and in some areas could get you in trouble spraying a pesticide with out a liscense.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Rex Tyus said:
The institutional spray plus would be better in my opinion. .

yea, that's what I'm talking about

the "blue stuff"

the high test is "red stuff" , right?

QGC is the "green stuff" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Greenie

I think it's still wet too.

Force dry and mist some DD12 as you leave if you have a bottle on the truck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom