stupid friggen winter...equipment issues

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so a few weeks ago i noticed my heater had turned off...and was about 2" of ice in the water box ickkk....so i turned it back on thawed it out and checked it..phew nothing had happen but a broke fitting which i fixed...

except when i go to do a house today....yea!!!! the wand para-plate i think had popped...could screw it on and make it work just didn't shut off..new one ok no biggy...

tada my little giant heater decided to burst somewhere.....GRAHHHH..

so the question is is it cheaper/better to fix the coils or to find another used one some where??????

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our experience has been the same as you're finding out.

After freezing some metals are damaged but not until they come under heat & pressure.

It sucks, it breaks when you're on the job!

At least it hasn't damage the pump or blower.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Doug, for what it's worth I got rid of all of my Para-Plate valves for that reason. The body is cast and the so when the thing freezes thing whole valve has to be replaced instead of just the cap.

brocksdad

Doug you are experiencing why phoenix has the largest population of rug suckers. If it isn't #1 it is 2 or 3 the others are probable warm climates as well.

John Watson

I also had something weird happen during the cold snap. The on/off valve at the end of my pressure line evidently froze. When we hooked up to our first job we were lucky Helen was carrying in the wand just as I flipped the switch for the pump clutch. She grabbed the pressure line that was spraying and pointed the leaking area into the 1 1/2 vacuum hose, very min damage. Now if had 2in all the way QD/valve an all into hose. This valve was just a few weeks old and when froze forced the o ring for the valve shaft out, very easy to see after it leaked. Replaced the valve. I store the solution lines on a reel hanging on the back door of my stretch van, which is the furthest location from the heater hooked up in the fan to prevent this. Oh well. Idea, I bought a little blue blower with an attached heating element from Gary Heacock, this will circulate the heated air a lot more than the little fan on the electric heater and draw about the same amount of juice.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Get in the habit of draining the water from the tools and hoses every time you put them up. Takes only seconds. Do it all the time, not just "when you think it could freeze".

You may have to break as much stuff as I have before you agree with me.

erick herdt

When I bought my unit, it had sat outside for 4 years unprotected (in Wisconsin winters).

I was young ignorant and didn't know any better.

I had to replace, all kinds of hoses, fittings, and the like. it wasn't fun at all.

STEVEC

I hear you Doug, last week my space heater in the van stopped heating overnight, so at my first job I started up the machine and water sprayed all over, the pump was split, called a friend to bail me out. replaced the pump, and got a new heater. Next day lines had iced up, now I'm running 2 space heaters and running the pilot flame on the Little Giant whenever the van is parked. I didn't lose any work over it because of a good friend but it sucked to buy a new pump when things are slow. :x

R

R W

Guys.....and Gals.....you will learn that in cold weather climates, you gotta protect your equipment!! This is your lively hood!! I got over the
"space heater" days after having one fail. I have a 3 car garage that I rent for $250 a month. I've had it for 15 years. It's also a good place to accumulate a lot of junk!!! Also, climbing into a warm van on cold mornings is nice. I keep the garage at 45-50*.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
trust me if i could run across one of those "sweet heart" deals i would in a heart beat...problem is everything around here is sooooo friggen high for rent....there is a 1500 sq ft place for about $500 but i don't have enough biz to cover that to

G

Remote starter with a remote temperature sensor and alarm. Of course a heated garage is the ultimate protection!

Back
Top Bottom