Suggestions for driving from MN or Midwest to California in February

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Anyone done this trip one way or the other in February. I am looking at taking a longer trip out to California for Mikeysfest. Anyone done this trip in the winter? What route is best. Anything to worry about crossing to CA through moutains or take a different route to avoid problems. Don't mind a few extra miles to avoid getting trapped in the mountains or similar. We also have family in Denver area if that route is suggested.

We are renting a house on the Beach in Aptos and bringing our pups (mini Schnauzer and Schnoodle). I am planning to do a lot of beach walking and touring with the pups and the wife of course. Just don't know the safest route if I decide to do this. I would be driving my 2010 Dodge Ram 4 x 4. My sister in law and her husband are flying out to meet and stay with us on the beach for at least on week.

The pups are an important part of our life and our business branding, and I planned to bring them to Florida this December/January. Looks like Florida might be out for the year, and I don't feel like leaving and trusting them with our kids while in California.

Thanks! Any comments and help appreciated!

Mark Saiger

2013-08-12101509_zps89f635c4.png

2013-07-30184947_zps5ffa4409.png

2013-05-14071631_zps0d8bcc40.png

PuppiesandcatFurniture_zps15210cdc.png

Mikey P

Administrator
80 is the only pass over the Sierra that they must keep open all winter.

Bring chains though in case of heavy snow

While you're in the hood, to not drive through Yosemite Valley would be a crime..

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm

Crossing the Sierra Nevada, I-80 regularly gets snow at higher elevations from fall to spring. Caltrans sometimes requires vehicles to use snow tires, snow chains or other traction devices in the mountains during and after snowstorms.[SUP][10][/SUP] Checkpoints are often set up to enforce chain restrictions on vehicles bound for icy or snowy areas. When chain restrictions are in effect vehicles must have chains on the driving wheels, except 4WD vehicles with snow tires.[SUP][11][/SUP] Additionally, during the winter season, trucks are required to carry chains whether or not controls are in force. When controls are in effect or possible, trucks are checked for chains in their possession at Applegate (eastbound) and Mogul, NV (westbound).
I-80 crosses the Sierra Nevada crest at Donner Summit (also known as Euer Saddle) at an elevation of 7,239 feet (2,206 m) westbound and 7,227 feet (2,203 m) eastbound.[SUP][12][/SUP] The summit is located in Nevada County, California. The pass is generally open year-round; it is plowed in winter, but may temporarily close during the worst snowstorms. The older, original Lincoln Highway route (Historical U.S. 40) over Donner Pass is about two miles (3 km) to the south; this highway was replaced as the official trans-Sierra route by I-80 in 1964. Although the current Donner Pass is lower, Euer Saddle was chosen for the interstate because of more gradual approaches.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've driven from Park City, UT to where we live (just North of Des Moines, IA) in the Winter. We did fine taking 80 the whole way. Talk about desolate stretches though. You seem like the kind of guy who doesn't need to be reminded to be prepared but I will anyway :-). We (me, wife, 2 kids) were in our Honda Odyssey and it did great. It is up and down quite a bit but I think the biggest thing to watch for is wild life. They have elk and God knows what else out in those wide open areas so I probably wouldn't try to drive much of it at night. I personally felt better knowing I was armed too. For what it's worth, I'd definitely go that way again.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Maybe I'll bring the fam next year and spend a week....or 2. We are slooooooow that time of year. I have brothers in CO and an aunt in Redding, CA. Mikey's stompin' grounds don't look so shabby either.

The Clean Machine

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
yeah, HWY 1 from Carmel south to San Luis Obispo is unreal, even more unreal on a bike..

A must see for all humans.

We traveled this route (me and the boys) at an earlier MF. It's a no miss if you're in NorCal. Drove it in a rental Impala. Slow going. Had many high-end road worthy cars pass me by (you pull on to a pull off to let the faster cars pass). Even seen the mating elephant seals on the beach down around Pismo??

Reactions: Mark Saiger

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i am driving 80 out from the SLC area...not worried about it...snow is snow...

and yes that 80 stretch from the east through wyoming, is a HOLE plain and simple...

and if i was worried about weather issues....it would be in wyoming....got stuck out there for a day once, due to closed I-80 and WIND

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
if you go over Donners Pass....
pack a lunch first...........!

got stuck out there for a day once, due to closed I-80 and WIND

me too...it was hell

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I can hop on 80 about 10 minutes from my house, 39 hours though, sheezus!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
What is it with the not flying gentlemen?

You clean up caustic crap every day but hesitant to use the safest way to travel. Just Saying.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

You clean up caustic crap every day but hesitant to use the safest way to travel. Just Saying.

No fear of flying for me. Just gonna extend my trip, visit some friends and family and bring the pups.....possibly :). Just doing the research to make a plan. Some of my past problems might be the LACK of fear.

Mark Saiger

Buck1955

Name
John
I would leave the dogs at home and fly. I loved dogs and basements until I got into this business, don't want either now.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill

Not the safety issue or fear of flying its the confined space..I raced cars, boats and rock crawled jeeps for many years
So it's not a balls or safety thing at all it's a phobia.

I take the boat out in some pretty nasty water and fish all the time, no worries

Just one of them things

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
yeah, HWY 1 from Carmel south to San Luis Obispo is unreal, even more unreal on a bike..

A must see for all humans.
The wife and I were in SLO last month for a friends wedding, We stayed in Morro Bay and drove up the coast to Hurst castle area to see the sea lions. I wish we could have gone farther north. It was beautiful. We are looking at going back in January or February.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Mark, if the weather does look to good a week before you take off, the best and flattest route west from our neck of the woods is the I-94 to Seattle and then down south on the coast road or the I-5. Some very pretty sights - western Montana and then a whole string of large old volcanoes - Rainier, St Helens, Hood and Mt Shasta.

Donner pass sucks if there is any ice and or snow.
Loads of semis, crazy stoopid drivers, endless hairpins and a massive drop in elevation from Truckee to Auburn so if you're going make sure you have good snow tires.
After Auburn so problem.

If you go thru Denver, stop in Omaha for a chunky munkey ice cream with Jimmy and then there's Dirk Wingrove in Lincoln.........

Just saying....

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
From Grand Rapids head south on 169 and head to 35W. Once on 35 head south to Hwy 80 down near Des Moines and take hwy 80 west till you hit the ocean. You can hit winter weather in Wyoming, Utah and NV. I've only been stranded once in the 3 times I've traveled from MN to NV or vice versa and that was near Elko NV and snow shut down the road. Can be a reeeaallly boring drive in spots. You'll pass through Des Moines, Omaha, Salt Lake, Reno and Sacramento before you get to the coast. Not really any way to get away from the snow in the mountains that time of year but this is the easiest route. Make sure you have chains if you don't have 4 wheel drive. You sometimes need both

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom