Suggestions for driving from MN or Midwest to California in February

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

When I drove from Denver to SLC along I-80 at the end of January, I experienced more wind than I had anywhere else. But compared to taking the I-70 route there was less mountain climbing and less snow and ice. How good or how bad either of those routes are could well depend upon the weather on the day(s) you are passing through. I would leave my options open and watch weather reports as you are heading west.

BTW - I plan to bring my wide and spend a few days on the beach as well. LEaving the dog at home.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
When I drove from Denver to SLC along I-80 at the end of January, I experienced more wind than I had anywhere else. But compared to taking the I-70 route there was less mountain climbing and less snow and ice. How good or how bad either of those routes are could well depend upon the weather on the day(s) you are passing through. I would leave my options open and watch weather reports as you are heading west.

BTW - I plan to bring my wide and spend a few days on the beach as well. LEaving the dog at home.

:eekk:

uhhh do i want to ask??

Becker

Name
Becker
If you pass through Carburetor County, I'd suggest a detour off the main Interstate to visit and shop in the sweet little town of Radiator Springs.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
i am driving 80 out from the SLC area...not worried about it...snow is snow...

and yes that 80 stretch from the east through wyoming, is a HOLE plain and simple...

and if i was worried about weather issues....it would be in wyoming....got stuck out there for a day once, due to closed I-80 and WIND

What are you going to drive through the mountains? Obviously you must be packing chains. Do you or have you had to use them. We never have used chains here in MN.

Name
George Valliant
I recommend renting an RV if your going on a road trip to the coast. Mikey turned us onto a cool campground on the beach when we passed through santa cruz. the RV was perfect for our trip because there were few public facilities where we went. So, without an RV if you need to sleep, get hungry or have to pee you have to leave the coast to look for civilization.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Mark...having made the drive a dozen times or so.......anyone that attempts the drive in the winter needs their hEDs exzamined...
it CAN be dangerous

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
What I hate about going to Cali is that once I go there, I never want to come back home!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom