sutorbilt 5M

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I was greasing my blower as usual and grease came out in a new place. Any idea if it is normal or if there is a problem. You can see the spot it came out below the arrow. Thanks
blowerholes.jpg

Gene

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Gene RE-POST as a VORTEX BLOWER DOWN......

You will get an IMMEDIATE RESPONSE :!: :!:
This is a pretty fickle croud......They mostly worry about their own :(

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hey Gene,

I am SERIOUS...Last week I had a question....60 plus "looks"...6 hrs..nothing :twisted:

So I posted VORTEX........................down...6 mins..Bingo..FISH-ON :lol: :lol:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Joe,
Nothing ever weeped out before. Just in front of the arrow is where it normally comes out. This is the first time that grease ever came out that hole. I shot an email off to Tampa Armature Works. They are the closet place to get a repair for this type of problem. It still works fine, it just worries me a little. I prefer to be proactive and get it fixed at my convenience if it is a problem.

Gene

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Gene,

If those are the WEEP HOLES for your blower.....That is a GOOD thing !!!!!!

That is designed to WEEP ...the old grease out of the blower as the NEW is forced IN :!:

Is the grease real thin in consistency :?: And SMELL really bad 0r burnt :?:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Not that anybody cares since it's not on a vortex but I spoke to the mechanic today at Tampa Armature Works. The grease coming out that hole means the seal broke . It costs almost as much to fix as to replace with a new one plus 3 weeks turn around time. Both mechanics I spoke to told me that basically 5 and below in blowers are considered disposable. The cost to repair makes it impracticable. He did say that it could last another 2 years as long as the bearing has enough grease. Their is no real way of knowing. I ordered the new 5m without the grease fittings. It should come in before there is a problem. It currently has 7200 hrs so I guess it doesn't owe me anything. I would like to see how long it will go before it dies but it's just to big a part to have to replace at it's whim.

Gene

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hi Gene,

They are disposable.....It cost almost as much to Re-build as to Replace new.....
At least the New has a warranty.....
We are Very maintaince conscious also...(preventative)

How much is that Blower :?: ........$2500.00 + freight & tax....$$$$$
The leaking blower will probably .....outlast the 7200 hrs machine... :!:

Might be time to trade it in :?: ......OR....The way the market is now......
You could by the same machine with half hours for $3500.00.
Then you would have ALL the spare parts as a back-up... :idea:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Gene ,
My-BAD on the $3500.00 price.... :oops:

Mis -read your post....Didn't notice it was a "THERMAL WAVE"

Even-So....If you are happy with the TW....There are some Great deals out there :!:

BTW it is obvious you take care of equipment..."7200 hours".... 8)

IMHO .....I would put the new blower on the shelve.... 8) & run the other blower
untill it starts to give you some more Warning Signs :idea:

R

R W

Thanks....ya just raised my anxiety level a few notches. I'll be checking out my 59 blower tomorrow. I do have a spare, so that helps in the parts department. I keep mine greased, probably more often than needed, especially in this Summer humid, hot weather.

Now, off to watch the Lakers/Magic game.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Joe,
I take meticulous care of my stuff. This machine has only been down twice. Once I had to replace the water pump on the Nissan which I did at my convenience . The other time I lost almost 2 hrs but got caught up. The low pressure switch went out and a wire broke simultaneously. I think the trick is heat control. I have garage doors opposite each other on my truck to control the heat. I also use an axillary radiator fan to push more heat out the door. The air from the fan runs 170 so it's really sucking out the heat. I'll leave the blower as long as I can but will replace it before the season if it's still going strong. The bearing should give some warning before it goes. It's a repair I won't look forward to. The blower is over 200 lbs. Removing the old one I'm sure won't be easy. I won't consider buying a new machine until this becomes unreliable. I have already been looking because I know that day will come and I will want to be ready.

RW, The mechanic I spoke to told me the specs. call for rebuilding them at 5000 hrs. However I have a friend that works at the mill and he told me as long as they have lube and are aligned properly they should last damn near forever. I just got unluck and have a seal fail. Maybe I lubed it too much. If that's possible.
Gene

Steve Smith

HARPER said:
Gene ,
My-BAD on the $3500.00 price.... :oops:

Mis -read your post....Didn't notice it was a "THERMAL WAVE"

Even-So....If you are happy with the TW....There are some Great deals out there :!:

BTW it is obvious you take care of equipment..."7200 hours".... 8)

IMHO .....I would put the new blower on the shelve.... 8) & run the other blower
untill it starts to give you some more Warning Signs :idea:
If he does put the new blower on the shelf.
The warranty on the new blower starts from when he purchases it, not when he puts it into service.
Just something to consider.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Gene..........

Take a look at Jim Martins new thread.....BLOWER COVER...........

Looks like this procedure MIGHT solve your 5M problem :?:

Pulling that BIG blower is a PITA....You REALLY need 2 people to pull that BEAST :!:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My new blower just arrived. Thank God for little things like forklifts and engine hoists.

Gene

T

The Magician

your over greasing the blower. Just like your cars suspension, you will break the seals. That blower will last for ever. run it till it needs replaced.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm sure you are right but I'm the kind of person who replaces his hot water heater at 10 yrs. regardless of condition. Besides, I bought the new Q version that is supposed to be 5 db quieter. Your right about the over greasing. I caused my own problem without knowing any better.

Gene

Back
Top Bottom