Switching from FloJet to Mytee

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well 100 hours on new FloJet transfer pump and at around 10 hours had to replace the switch, then last night I go out to a rank smell at the end of job to find the switch on the FloJet pump on fire! What a piece of crap! So requested they replace with a Mytee C361 this go around.
photo-47.jpg

Thanks Olson for this suggestion!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I still don't understand the need for a transfer pump to a pressure pump. Why not plumb the hose from the fresh tank to the TM pump and stop all this madness? My Cat pumps have always done this on my Pro1200s without problems.

FredC

Village Idiot
Mytee pump? Didn't know they made pumps........

Isn't that just a Johnson Aquajet 5.2 with their sticker on it?

Last edited:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
ARt I'm sure it could be done. I'm not a mechanicle engineer but I suppose the reason for pumping to the water box is to have a place for bypass hot water to go. I do have an outlet for warm/hot water depending on the day to mix chemicals in the hydroforce. If switching pump brands doesn't fix the problem I will switch it over after the warranty period runs out. The pump is about 1 inch higher than the fresh tank outlet but thats about the same with the V so I'm sure it would work.

Fred, I couldn't tell you, wouldn't surprize me any, probably paying $100 extra for the Mytee sticker!

FredC

Village Idiot
$50 or so for the sticker

but that was really just a coded message...good pump

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I still don't understand the need for a transfer pump to a pressure pump. Why not plumb the hose from the fresh tank to the TM pump and stop all this madness? My Cat pumps have always done this on my Pro1200s without problems.
Its the level of where water comes into the box. The pressure pump will work fine until the fresh water tank reaches the same level as the pressure pump then it needs the transfer pump to push the remaining water over to the pump.

On your WM you pump is most likely floor level so gravity supply's enough pressure to push the water from your fresh water tank to the pressure pump. It doesn't work when you pump sits 3-ft off the ground.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It doesn't work when you pump sits 3-ft off the ground.

The pump IS 3 feet off the ground and it draws up above the water level line in the fresh tank many times. It can drain it empty. But I think to start it off the water line in the freshy has to be above the pump.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
So Art I think what I get from what your saying is that as long as the pump is primed it will even pump "uphill" however for start up it would need to at least have the pressure of the fresh water tank pushing the water to the pump to get it primed. It is really not a big inconvenience except at some places in the winter they will turn their outside spickets off to prevent freezing, so if I were to run into this with the supply pump down I wouldn't be able to perform the cleaning. I might just figure out a way to have a back up hose rigged to where I could hook the fresh tank line straigt to the pump and not even have to run from the spicket. Your giving me some good ideas for down the road.

Lee, this is a general pump also, so maybe that is the reason..

Art, I just realized another reason they are using a transfer pump. When I have it in the pressure washing mode at 3,000 psi using natural pressure probably would not even begin to supply enough water. One thing I like about this mytee pump is it pumps 5.2 gal per minute where the Flojet is 2.5. When pressure washing I always hook straight to the water sourse as to not have to stop occassionaly and let the Flojet "catch up" the waterbox.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The pump IS 3 feet off the ground and it draws up above the water level line in the fresh tank many times. It can drain it empty. But I think to start it off the water line in the freshy has to be above the pump.
Wow, you're lucky. Ours works fine with gravity until it reaches the same level than I get a call for another truck or they hook up direct.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Art... you can't speak to these people when they get like this.......my Hydra Cells would suck the chrome off a bumper hitch.....

hydracat

its not about gravity or psi as much as inlet size. If the supply line is at least 2 sizes bigger than the inlet size it should always feed to the pump.

Able 1

Name
Keith
On Prochem units cat pumps would draw fine without a water box... The demand pump just feeds the water box and the cat sucks it by it self from there. The water box inlet is connected to the shut off valve that is a foot and a half of the van floor.

Name
Lee Stockwell
If, as Billy stated, his is a General Emperor pump, its life will be grossly shortened by cavitation if it is installed like a typical Cat pump via gravity waterbox.

Wonderful pump, but that's its Achilles heel.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Its the level of where water comes into the box. The pressure pump will work fine until the fresh water tank reaches the same level as the pressure pump then it needs the transfer pump to push the remaining water over to the pump.

On your WM you pump is most likely floor level so gravity supply's enough pressure to push the water from your fresh water tank to the pressure pump. It doesn't work when you pump sits 3-ft off the ground.

i would like to call BS!!!!

On all 777 the cat pump can be 2 feet higher than the water level in tank and 2 feet away and it will still pull and prime, it just takes a few seconds. you have to check the what the pumps design calls for, the cat 5cp states from -2.5 to 60 psi.

just check what pump you have and what the specs call for.

after looking at what mr chavez said in some instances he could be correct but just some not all!

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Art's point is a good one.

Back when I bought/rebuilt/sold used TM s I was amazed at the stupidity of manufactures that opted to mount their pumps so high and then not to use a "suction" type pump. Has anybody ever seen a presure washing machine with a transfer pump? As a rule of thumb diaphram and piston pumps suck a lot-plunger pumps a little. Usually the plunger pumps produce higher PSI- and then there's the Hydracell-it cost too much for most mfgrs.

Thx,
Dale

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
This has been mentioned before but a cleaner who i cant remember has a video on youtube running the pump without the switch.

You just run a tube from the entrance side to the exit side of the pump with a shutoff valve in the middle set to half closed.

So i tried it instead of buying a new switch. Works great.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Welll ya know if it were late enough and dark enough and one were perverted enough.....ok maybe not. Maybe!

She would have to wear her Betty Ruble outfit and giggle like Betty for me to consider her. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom