Synthetic oil.

Name
Matt Middleton
We have been running Butlers since '85 (I know, were old) Do you guys have any advice on using synthetic motor oil in the Savana vs regular oil?

We have ALWAYS changed oil and filter monthly. Would we see any benefit to switching to synthetic?

Thanks!

Name
jack zerkie
Give it a try I use Walmart full syn. affordable they don't make it just put their name on it. 130k and no problem. I do my own changes not cheep just want NO problems after oil change. jz

Reactions: Doug Rice
Name
Jeff T
We have been running Butlers since '85 (I know, were old) Do you guys have any advice on using synthetic motor oil in the Savana vs regular oil?

We have ALWAYS changed oil and filter monthly. Would we see any benefit to switching to synthetic?

Thanks!
I run Amsoil in every vehicle I own.
Does it make a difference? Heck yeah.
Think about it, most oil is supposed to be changed every 3000 miles. Reason being, it breaks down.
Synthetic oil can go 7000 miles between changes. It lasts longer, handles heat better, and does it’s job (lubing) for the duration of the life of the oil.
Regular oil breaks down much quicker.
My old van had a knock. When I switched to Amsoil, within a few days, the knock went away, and never heard it again....
Should you use quality, synthetic oil? Hell yes...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I don't see how it would make any difference if he's changing oil and filters once a month. His oil should still be fine and the cost is lower. Unless he's going to change the synthetic oil less frequently = less hassle.

Name
Matt Ross
If you struggle with heat or live in a hot climate it would be more beneficial. Synthetic definently handles heat breakdown better. I've done tons of oil research... to much to type out. The manufacturer oil standards have changed drastically for the worse as emissions systems have gotten more involved. The additives that helped everything wear less and last longer hurt most emissions systems, so they have made oil worse for the benefit of smog garbage. It's the worst on diesel oil. The standards that cummins called for in their oil 20 yrs ago were far better than modern ap4 standards. I use aftermarket more expensive oils in most of my stuff. Cheap insurance. No reason to change once a month imo with good oil.

Name
Matt Middleton
If you struggle with heat or live in a hot climate it would be more beneficial. Synthetic definently handles heat breakdown better. I've done tons of oil research... to much to type out. The manufacturer oil standards have changed drastically for the worse as emissions systems have gotten more involved. The additives that helped everything wear less and last longer hurt most emissions systems, so they have made oil worse for the benefit of smog garbage. It's the worst on diesel oil. The standards that cummins called for in their oil 20 yrs ago were far better than modern ap4 standards. I use aftermarket more expensive oils in most of my stuff. Cheap insurance. No reason to change once a month imo with good oil.
Simply the recommendations of the Butler Corp. Change van oil and filter every 30 days.

Name
Jeff T
MY GAWD....
Just run what’s on special, and make sure you tip you’re mechanic when it’s time to replace the engine.....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Yes, GM recommends using synthetic oil, as do many other automakers.

Yes, you won't be changing your oil so much. Skip the rest of the message if you've heard this from me before.

Regular oil contains impurities that will eat your engine if they aren't held in check by additives. Regular oil doesn't break down, the additives break down. which then exposes the engine to the impurities. Synthetic oil has no impurities.

Another thing that can happen to regular oil is sludge build-up. A lot of modern engines have parts like cylinder heads or turbos that run hotter than the rest of the engine. The heat/cool cycle causes regular oil to turn to pudding, which will absolutely kill your motor. Toyota had to do a lot of sludge flushes and engine replacements and offer 100,000 miles warranties due to sludge, and then required using synthetic oil.

Do not use any partially synthetic oil! The regular oil component makes it no better than other regular oils. Also be aware that one additive used in high mileage oil is a gasket softener that helps keep your dried out old pan gasket from leaking. Moving an old vehicle to a pure synthetic may expose bad gaskets and you'll see leaks.

We run Mobil 1 and change it once a year, even though changing the oil isn't needed as long as carbon is filtered. We use high quality filters and change them at normal mileage intervals. In 25+ years of using this program we've had no engine wear problems, and now use synthetic in anything that uses oil.

Sonrise1

Name
Jerry
In my old Sapphire slide in, we had serious problems with the engine overheating until I started running full synthetic in it. It really worked will for us. That's what I run now.

Sonrise1

Name
Jerry
Great catch on my typo. Worked well for us. We had serial number 4 of the 454SS and had it in the shop 16 times. Pane in the butt! Anyhow, we had problems with it overheating all the time at the beginning, so much so that it would shut down on us. Our water temp in the exchanger would get to 300 degrees and the sensors would turn the engine off. I switched to synthetic oil in the engine and it dropped the temperature into the 240-250 range and stopped the shutdowns, but we still couldn't control the temperature. It turns out that Sapphire had installed the valve backwards in the heat exchanger, so when we changed that out, we were able to control the temp after that.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom