Take home van....

Becker

Name
Becker
Anyone do it?

By mid Aug I'll have an employee just take the van home.

This guy has a rural style home with more than enough room to securely store after hours.

Also, this guy lives about 20 miles away, servicing they same area, IMO a win for him, home to 1st job, less miles on my van.

Any down side to this?

I'll see the van regular for maintenance, restocking of the vans supplies and the employees stock.

As far as trusting a person, this guy trustworthy!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Side work, ins prob needs to know, when its in your yard after hrs there is no liability but with him taking it home there is 100% 24 hr a day liability that you have no control over

I personally would not allow it

I need to know where my trucks are at all times..they are my money makers..I'm screwed without them

If your guy flakes out and decidedly to do whatever are you ok without the van? If not I wouldn't do it..

You say trustworthy? Have a employee that I considered family that I would have bet the farm on not screwing me over and found out he was delivering small amounts of pot at times..not often hit from time to time..

Cut him off at the knees..had him arrested

It's to important of a piece of equipment attached to to much liability in my opinion

Mikey P

Administrator
bet he lets it freeze in his first winter.

bad1.jpg

Why? because trust worthy honey badger don't give a shit on a drunken snowy Friday night.

dont be a chump dickface, most of america has to drive further than 20 miles to get to work.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
damn note to self don't fook with dave as he will gut you, even if he likes you.

if you trust the guy and it will save you both time and money then allow it only after you rig the vehicle with an alert style gps service.

it will track where he goes, where and when he turns it off, where he starts it, if he idles for more than five minutes with out moving. we had one years ago and it worked well as the service syncs with google maps and can even list the restaurant where he stopped in for lunch based on the gps stamp.

it should offset any increase in the premium and evec may lower your overall insurance premium by running the gps feature and reporting to the insurance company that you have such service.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
...allow it only after you rig the vehicle with an alert style gps service...
Yep, took the words out of my mouth.

Steve

PS 100.00 plus per hour net might just make a little night time excursion very attractive now and then... even for a "trustworthy person." (Don't ask me how I learned this one... several times.)

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I had a take home company paid truck 1/3 of my 49 years on this great planet. I quit my career managing 15 men with a take home corporate paid fleet for JP Morgan Chase to own a Carpet Cleaning business.

Yes to the GPS - "Trust but verify" Your job is that your crew understands your vehicle / hours / mileage / location tracking system. Good 2 way communication is key.

A well written, clearly understood with documented training and signed company policy will CYA. Allow personal jobs with advance permission, if your insurance company is ok with that.

Does Toburen Almighty have a written policy to share?

Call me if you wish.

Name
I'm Rick James
You have to inform you insurance company (least mine you do) .. you can also use gps tracking through the phone you gave him for work. See where he goes.. the route he takes and so on.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Lots of companies run remote units, even having guys use a rental unit for storing chemical and only physically checking in for service.

Just remember that the GPS tracking units will disappear due to parking garages, overpasses and power lines, and even the best are sometimes inaccurate. Don't be alarmed when you see your truck being driven at 140 MPH or jumping 10 miles in a single bound.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
bet he lets it freeze in his first winter.

bad1.jpg

Why? because trust worthy honey badger don't give a shit on a drunken snowy Friday night.

dont be a chump dickface, most of america has to drive further than 20 miles to get to work.

:lol:

Yeah, i'm trusting just NOT that trusting.

Becker

Name
Becker
Good idea Brent however if he was going to moonlight I think he might leave his gps enabled phone at home.

I appreciate the replies.

This won't happen till mid aug allowing me to get everything in order.

As for him having to drive to pick up the van I don't care, however because he will mostly service the area around his house that is 20 miles away, it is a win for me to not have to pay him tge commuting hrs.

I won't discus him much, yes even the most trustworthy can make poor choices , however this guy deserves being trusted.

It could bite me, but I won't know till it does, and with perpetration it might end up being a perfect set up.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Mikey did you get to keep the coit unit????

I would make sure when it gets cold he know it needs to be in the garage, hell it needs to be in the garage every night no matter what!

Also If he's working and the trucks not working. He's off so its in his best interest to take care of it!

If the guy works say 8 to 4 and does 3 jobs you know the machine ran at least 5 to 6 hours pretty easy based on hours to figure if he's doing side work just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i have let my guy drive his home for a few years now no issues.
Actually gets a lot of jobs from people seeing his van sit at his house.
If its cold he drives a another company van home.
But he is a great employee.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Does Toburen Almighty have a written policy to share?
Yes, but not for those who "take my name in vain"! :)

The Soup Nazi

PS Actually it is pretty simple. The key with all Security Systems is to not make any one employee feel like you don't trust them. (Even though you don't- not 100%. Or at least you shouldn't.)

Instead, just make your security procedures a part of your company routine. When implementing GPS tracking you can use three excuses: 1) increased efficiency and 2) lower insurance premiums and 3) better liability protection. (These have the advantages of all being true.)

Your hidden goal here is to "Add Employee Accountability". The problem for most CC business owners is ALL the "accountability" is on their shoulders. (You know, payroll, taxes, keeping the work coming in, etc.) And meanwhile their employees are "Loose Cannons". Seriously. Not a care in the world and basically doing whatever they darn well please. (Don't ask me how I learned this... over and over again.)

So enter the concept of "Shared Accountability". Production Day Sheets are a big help. But a smart tech can always rig one. That's why I recommend GPS tracking. Introduce the units with the above excuses. BUT also give each employee a brochure on the unit that explains their capabilities so they will be warned up front. I didn't want to catch my people doing something wrong- I just wanted to put up some fences to "help them stay honest".

In your case Don just make sure your tech knows that the GPS will record where the unit travels, when it is parked and when it is truned on and off and you will get a text if the van goes over the speed limit! Seriously. Plus you will get a text any time he honks at a pretty girl!

Reactions: Russ T. and SamIam

Al_Paulsen

We use gps. Video in the shop and office. A security system that logs everyone in and out of the office and shop due to different access codes for each employee. I can access it all on my many vacations if I have concerns. 130 per month of money well spent.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Becker

Name
Becker
I think my plan will work and I thank all for input. I'll implement some if it for sure.

At the very least it will be a good test.

Lars

Name
Lars
I agree with Mike, maybe every once in a while is ok. If your in a cold climate don't risk it during the winter. But in my experience techs don't prep their van very well for the day and like to take off with dirty filters and not enough chems for the day.

Nobody is is going to take care of your equipment/investment like you do.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
We use gps. Video in the shop and office. A security system that logs everyone in and out of the office and shop due to different access codes for each employee. I can access it all on my many vacations if I have concerns. 130 per month of money well spent.
Exactly. I know you have good employees, Al. But "good fences make good neighbors". Where have I heard that one before? :)

Steve

PS Good people understand the reason for security systems that apply to everyone and aren't bothered by them. Bad people don't like them, feel threatened (as they should be) and quit. HEY! That's just what you want to happen!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

SixShooter

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Sabia
Mikey did you get to keep the coit unit????

I would make sure when it gets cold he know it needs to be in the garage, hell it needs to be in the garage every night no matter what!

Also If he's working and the trucks not working. He's off so its in his best interest to take care of it!

If the guy works say 8 to 4 and does 3 jobs you know the machine ran at least 5 to 6 hours pretty easy based on hours to figure if he's doing side work just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Those GPS units can also be wired to the machine. You can get a "Ping" when it's operated.

Reactions: dgardner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom