Talk to me about vans and snow and ice

Mikey P

Administrator
Front wheel drive would make sense in a cargo van when driving in winter yet the bulk of the industry is scooting around in RWD Chevys and Fords..

Why are All Wheel Drive vans not more popular? GMC only offers them in a 1500... Being a newb to weather I just dont get it. Never had to even think about it till now that I'm shopping..

Is Saiger installing chains all winter or running around on studs?

Hagopian, what do you do? @Brian H

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You don't want to know. Don't unpack just move back now before it begins!! :eekk:

Ice is awful 4x4 and front help so you can go forward but you cannot stop. Fun fun stuff sliding into everyone and everything.

Snow not as bad but cargo vans in the snow is just stoopid. Front wheel drive is best they get around pretty good and should be sufficient unless its very deep then you need 4x4.

All season and snow tires help but when its snowy & icy you really are safest if you just stay home.

4x4 will get you in and around just about anything as long as you have clearance. That's why I gave up my 4x4 07 Tundra, too low and I got stuck twice even with 4x4. :oldrolleyes:

My 2003 Tundra is a beast. She will go though deep snow, through the fields. I even towed my daughters Civic up our drive in deep snow with no effort.

Go home for the winter Cali boy! :winky:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Save enough money during your peak season, tell them to call back when the snow melts. Worked for us last winter;)

Reactions: Jimmy L

Brian H

Name
Brian H
In the Detroit area we don't get snow very often that shuts us down. The main roads are almost always passable. We use Butler's and the weight of the equipment and water in the back actually helps us with better traction. In an average winter we will have 2-3 trucks need to be pulled out.. usually when we missed a customer's driveway because we couldn't see exactly where it was.

As Rich says though, ICE is a flat out nasty!! Give me a few inches of snow over ice any day, at least your tires have a little something to grip. Thankfully we don't get a lot of just ice here. The problem we run into is that people sometimes don't understand that just because you can go doesn't mean you can stop even in light snow. Lot's of 4 x 4 and ALL wheel drive people get in accidents because they speed around people and forget their braking distance is greatly increased..

The first few times you drive in the snow it's better to go slow and have people think of you as a sissy as opposed to going too fast and getting in an accident. Go to a local empty parking lot and practice there. Get a feel for what your vehicle can and can't do in the snow. I also do that anytime I get a new car so get a better sense of how it will handle. Make sure there is plenty of wide open space though as you may be surprised on how much you can slide.

Any thing that quickly changes your momentum is also something that needs to be avoided. Not hard braking, no rapid acceleration, not hard cornering, etc. Going up a hill, be real easy on the gas pedal. When coming to a stop, be prepared to stop way back and ease up to the stop. On ice, everything is magnified.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
tell me about studs and chains
and leave Laura out of this.
Auto? :eekk:

Studs are illegal in Kansas. If they are legal there get them, they do help but they tear up the road. Chains are a bitch to put on and you can not go very fast with them on. I would not recommend them in less it were just absolutely necessary.

Brian is right just practice practice. Drive with plenty of time to account for the slower speed. Brake twice as early as normal slowly apply the brakes. Too many people bop around like its normal and then slam the brakes on and go into a slide. If you lock up the brakes you slide a long way and the minute you let up you hook right into the curb. Not a bad plan vs hitting the vehicle in front of you.

Get in the middle of a big parking lot and just goose it. Make sure there are no poles near you. Cut a couple of donuts and feel the slide. See how it throws you. Gas it and mark an area when you want to stop and see how much further you slide.

The more you practice the more comfort you will have.

Reactions: Brian H

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
And when all else fails....off road tires :rockon:

20150902_110307.jpg

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I would think there are additional TM shut down procedures as well.
Do u winter guys have to drain the Solution lines and Heat EXers? Maybe keep water tanks empty?
Please tell us about this headache.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I don't mind driving in the snow so much, but parking in a not plowed/shoveled driveway that's on a hill is another thing!! So far I've slid down two while doing the walk through!:eekk::errf: That is scary stuff right there..

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Oh man, now this thread is really getting depressing.

If it makes you guys feel any better-- Should I remind you about the higher taxes and parking Fines here in Sunny SF. In 3 days I paid almost $800 in parking tickets!
And Not to mention the 100 page SF CITY ordinance about how we have to park our Vans during a job.

I just wanted to warn Mikey about the risk of frozen pipes in the TM. will plugging in a space heater in the van be good enough?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mike Draper

Lots of good advice. The most important rule in winter is don't let your van freeze. Unless your a VLM hack. :biggrin:

Reactions: Jimmy L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom