Tan carpet melted into a white blob

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Just as a followup:

Mystery definitively solved!!

The homeowner called back to let me know that she confronted the housekeeper about the toilet bowl cleaner. The housekeeper admitted to having set the bottle on the carpet and causing the problem.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great to see a happy ending.

Housekeepers are a major cause of mystery problems in the home.

C&S

Name
Scott
usually toilet bowl cleaner will melt the carpet right down the the primary backing without turning it white, usually it gets darker. I used to see it a lot on janitorial jobs.

anyone have an mre heater in the house and spill the contents or a packet? it gets hot enough to boil water in minutes im sure it would get hot enough to melt certain types of carpet and leaves a powdery residue. It could have been in the carpet for years. Did you prevac the carpet before cleaning?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The Works contains Chlorine bleach.

"The Works" is essentially a Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) solution according to Home Labs' MSDS of the product (if it is this stuff).
It is extremely unlikely that the product also contains Chlorine Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite). This is because sodium hypochlorite and hydrochloric acid make saltwater(NaCl) and very toxic chlorine gas. The chemical equation reaction for Chlorine bleach and hydrochloric acid: NaClO + 2 HCl --> Cl2 + H2O + NaCl.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I too have a customer with a cleaning lady toilet bowl cleaner hole in her carpet.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
"The Works" is essentially a Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) solution according to Home Labs' MSDS of the product (if it is this stuff).
It is extremely unlikely that the product also contains Chlorine Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite). This is because sodium hypochlorite and hydrochloric acid make saltwater(NaCl) and very toxic chlorine gas. The chemical equation reaction for Chlorine bleach and hydrochloric acid: NaClO + 2 HCl --> Cl2 + H2O + NaCl.

I am sure you are right... i looked at this source for my info.

http://www.ask.com/question/the-works-cleaner-ingredients

Buck1955

Name
John
I combined the works with bleach to clean a toilet. Created a gas that had me coughing for an hour or more. Dumb ass thing to do. Seems like I have to learn the hard way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom