TCS Chief

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, mine was the Kohler on the Chief II.

Over on the JW board, I saw a thread where a guy was talking about his problems with the various different engines he'd run over the years. His issues were the same as mine. No more than 2500 to 3000 hours on each engine. (I know, all you guys get 5000 and 6000 hours on yours. Uh, huh ...)

I've never owned a Honda engine, but don't expect it to be a miracle worker lasting thousands of hours.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Air cooled I'd think 3000-4000 any more than that and you'd better have plans for the day she gives up. That's a lot of work for an engine that wasn't designed for the long haul.You'll need liquid cooled if you want to double or triple that life but then your costs are more up front.

Which is better? It depends on how you see it pay now or pay later. Either way you have to pay. :neutral:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have two chiefs witj the gx690... one is hmm 6 or 7 years old with. 5223 hours in the original engine! The other chief honda has 845 hours. And they are reliable little things. I only had to replace the dipstick, cause it wore out from using it alot I suppose

Reactions: Zee

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
We run one. Not a problem with it . I think it is closing in on 2000 hrs
I'm like Marty on those engines they never last very long. The liquid cooled are more but besides longevity they are a lot quieter. You won't need hearing aides so soon.

Gene

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Add an oil cooler and you will likely get longer life out of an air cooled engine. It will run about 30 degrees cooler. Seems to work for the Kohler engines on the Powermatics.

hogjowl

Idiot™
It's not unusual for us to have 2 months of temps in excess of 95 degrees. Going to be 100 and 101 for three days next week. I can't keep ceiling liners in my van and we can't touch any metal tools we take out of the van on jobs, without gloves.

I'm thinking the heat is killing mine.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Hmm. When we do turns. Our vans stay parked in the same spot running for 5 hours straight. Temps in the 95 to 102 range and high humidity amd no problems. But I have the #3 lg maybe the 4 puts out to much heat in the van

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
This engine has a built-in oil cooler on the side

What I was referring to was a water cooled rather than air cooled oil cooler. All you need is an oil line that travels through some cooper coils in a small fresh water box. Simple and trouble free. The Powermatics have used this approach for decades.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
HTML:
you should be getting 4000 hrs on most air cooled engines
that's pretty common for a TM

..L.T.A.
Depends are were you live and how hard and long you run them. Never got anything close to that. I don't believe I ever came close to 3k. Every thing in the van absorbs the radiant heat and pretty soon the engine is sucking serious hot air. Heat and vibration are the number 2 killers. If I was running a van still it would have a power vent taking advantage of the natural rise of the air. Currently I have 2 4' doors opposite each other which is a huge improvement on heat control.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom