Technical Cleaning Question

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
meAt said:
The talent of this industry is being able to look at a job and figure out what it's going to take and THEN make it happen.

hey!!...you got ONE right!!!

..L.T.A.

images

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
If you're normal cleaning procedures are drying the carpets in a reasonable amount of time than something else is effecting the dry times.
I think your are correct to suspect the weather conditions.
5/29/11 Marshfield, MA
Max Temperature 74
Minimum Temperature 66
Dew Point 66
When the temperature drops later in the evening and early morning it can hit dew point. Dew point is the failure of evaporation when the air is no longer taking on or releasing moisture; it has reached its saturation point or equilibrium.
Wet material is cooler than air temperature so if your dew point is 66 and your air temperature is 66 than your wet carpet is likely less than 66 and is dehumidifying the air, you carpet is getting wetter.
For every degree of separation of air temperature below dew point you have more potential to dehumidify the air (wetting the carpet) and for every degree of separation above dew point you have a greater potential to increase evaporation, dry the carpet. Air movement will expedientially increase this potential.
So a good rule of thumb to follow is if you work environment is above 80 degrees and 60 RH turn on the air conditioner.
If it is below 80 degrees 60 RH turn on the heat. Air movement always helps to remove the boundary layer of moist air that hang directly above the carpet and helps transfer the energy needed for drying to the wet material.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
was thinking of this thread today.
Only two reasons for browning that I know of.
Too high a pH, easily corrected with an acidic spray
Too much soil left in the carpet. Needs more vacuuming.

If its well vacuumed, and your pH isn't terribly off, even if it took extra time to dry you shouldn't get any browning.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It was easily rectified but I am thinking about the system during these months

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
What psi are you running the roto vac? If you run them over 400 psi they soak the carpet.

Cleaned my house with with the rv at 450psi and the carpets were still wet the next day. That was with a 47 blower and I have 2" vac hose hooked at the bottom to the little hoses the go to the heads. I use the sebo for most jobs and the 175 for the bad stuff. I never even use the rv anymore.

S

sam miller

If you gonna clean that late change your rinse to something like

http://chemspecworld.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=162

Notice prevents browning and helps with drying dont know if the matrix stuff does that

Also lightly prespray and rake, if its heavily soiled you probably dont want to tackle it that late!

and for Godsake use blowers one small Mytee is light. Move it around as You go it makes a hugh difference.

Also that late You might want to go with a low flow wand let your prespray do the work. Tell them to leave fans on crank heat and

make sure there is some form of exhaust for the moisture to escape not every carpet deserves the same treatment!

Knowing what to do where is half the battle, with that said we all have hiccups.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
there was one browning incident and it was an 8 am job the other 2 complaints were extended dry times from what I quoted this was out of about 180 jobs small period. I only needed to go back for one.

The air movers atren't a concern we have a few airpaths and smaller ones but we are not going to leave them on a small walkout basement. We have never had dry time issues but this spring wqas the wettest on record and this was the wet week this happened.

I was just asking about if you can clean as well without the rotaries/rotovacs

the weight difference between the 175 and rotovac is about 55lbs Ron and up and down stairs alot of them wood I am concerned for the safety of my employees and want to make sure I give them the best possible equipment

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
XTREME1 said:
I was just asking about if you can clean as well without the rotaries/rotovacs

I do every day. I do use a Sebo, or if you really want, just give the employees a grooming brush, not the Grandi brush, but a real grooming brush, looks like a thin shop broom. No cords, no motors, weighs less than 2lbs, and anyone can use it without a lot of training.

S

sam miller

XTREME1 said:
I have made some changes to my company over the last year and I pride myself on being the best. With the wet weather I had a call back the other day it seems Marty left the carpet what he perceived to be dry and it wasn't and it had some browning. No problem I went back and fixed it, it was a basement on a marsh completely closed up, I can see it.
I did notice we had a total of 3 calls for having extended dry times since switching from the 175 prescrub to the original rotovacs and then wand. Here is the question if you had a 3 van company and your people were/are unable to carry a 175 up and down all day and the rotovac was leaving the carpets too wet in the spring is it possible to still be the best and swap prescrub for vacuum and get a kick ass rinse? I am uncomfortable giving the guys the option of just wanding

what do you say

Ok I get it but I think Your taking the #1 on ****** list to serious! If its a lightly soiled carpet a prespray hand scrub with groomer or Pile brush is fine I can see moderate to heavily soiled carpet breaking out the heavy artilary.

Still they are Your employee's and should perform the service as advertised and how You trained them, Maybe you dont feel comfortable with them making the call on whats necessary, I dont blame You! Thats why I do my own work period.

Until someone pulls the wand out of my cold dead fingers. :lol:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I just ordered a used CRB to take a look at it. Right now we are still rotovacing, today I am in the field and going to 175 and wand.

Trying to find the best way of doing things

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
XTREME1 said:
I just ordered a used CRB to take a look at it. Right now we are still rotovacing, today I am in the field and going to 175 and wand.

Trying to find the best way of doing things

CBR's are good tools, but from my experience they don't shear soil off a fiber near as well as a rotary .
They'll dig more crAp out, but don't shear soil as well

never the less, as i mentioned, you're likely doing way more than you need on 70% of res jobs anyway.
so the CBR should be fine

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom