Temp agency

Kelarella

Name
Kelly McNeil
Has anyone ever hired a carpet cleaning tech through a temp agency? If so, what are some of the pros and cons?

thanks!

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Hello,

Hiring a carpet cleaning tech (or any employee in general) through a temp agency can come with several pros and cons. Here are some key points you may want to consider:

Pros:

1. **Flexibility**: Temp agencies can supply workers at short notice for short or long-term employment, accommodating your business's fluctuating needs. Holidays, sudden projects or employee absences can be covered efficiently.

2. **Speed in Hiring**: The agency handles the recruiting, screening, and interviewing processes, which can save you time if you're looking to fill a position quickly.

3. **Reduced Risk**: Temp agencies often cover certain HR aspects such as compliance, payroll, and tax process. Besides, if the worker doesn't fit your needs, you can easily request a different one.

4. **Trial Period**: You're able to evaluate the employee's skill sets without committing to a full-time position. If it turns out that the temp is not a good fit, you can easily terminate the arrangement.

Cons:

1. **Cost**: Typically, temp agencies charge a markup on the wages paid to temporary workers. The overall cost might be higher than if you recruited a full-time employee directly.

2. **Culture Fit**: Temporary workers may not blend in as easily with the company culture or may have less commitment to the organization since they know their tenure is limited.

3. **Training**: Temporary employees might need additional training or guidance, which may end up being a time-consuming task for you or your team.

4. **Potential Short-Term Focus**: Some temp employees, knowing the end date of their assignment, might not be as diligent or invested in providing quality work.

It's also important to note that the success of getting a good temp worker highly depends on the quality of the temp agencies. Some are more diligent in their recruitment processes than others, and choosing a reputable agency that specializes in your industry can be very beneficial.

I hope this gives you some food for thought!

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
The pros are that you can get a warm body right away. The cons are that warm body doesn't have a clue how to clean carpets.
I'm not near the point where I'm ready to hire a tech. But you bet it won't be through a temp agency for the exact reasons you describe. Taking the time to vet someone out who is competent and cares about the work they do seems critical. We don't build a brand and reputation to piss it away on goofball temps. Take the time to advertise, interview, train, and then pay worthy people very well to keep them around. Our business is our livelihood, our reputation is everything.

Without having done it yet, from an owner perspective it seems to me that when one scales up and has techs they either need to be splash and dash or premium cleaners. I don't see how anything in-between will work that well. As a premium cleaner you need to pay people that represent your business in the field very well. And to pay them well you need to be charging premium prices to cover everything and make a solid profit.

Reactions: Cleanworks

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Had a helper once from a temp agency.
It was super hot that day and you could hear his sneakers squish from sweat walking around.
All of a sudden he was no where to be found.
Kind of rural where we were working but he must have hoofed it out of there somehow and never heard from him.
Had it happen a second time on an apartment rehab years later.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
That’s like someone from Wisconsin saying they can’t drive in Oklahoma in the winter. What the h e double l?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Not everyone is a deadbeat though. Years ago I worked for temp agencies and had several interesting jobs and was even offered full time work by a couple of employers. You will still find the odd good worker but if you want to hire them, you have to pay the temp agency a finder's fee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom