tennis elbow from carpetcleaning?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hey guys,
I think I may have tennis elbow or something like that. It's my left forearm.Mostly it hurts on the outside below the elbow on my forearm and then also on the inside of my upper arm , slightly above my elbow.
For example it's painful for me to grab a jar of prespray powder by the lid and lift it up with my palm facing down. It has been hurting for months now I'm no spring chicken anymore, I'm 58 and maybe that's just another pain that I have to accept as an everyday reality, but I sure would like it if that went away one of these days. Has anybody here had any trouble like that? BTW I'm right handed so I'm grabbing the handle on my wand with the left hand.(insert your joke here)
I tried switching but there is no real difference.
I've been popping ibuprofens but it doesn't help.What else can I do about that?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
He'll probably say get some rest take some Tylenol and that'll be 250.- for the consultation. I've got a high deductible.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Go to Walgreens and by all the different tennis elbow relief apparatuses, then go to Walmart and do the same.

Buy as many as you can and try them all out.

They look stupid and you would think they won't do anything but they relieve pain once you find the shape of the one that will work for you.

I bought many until I bought one from Walmart I believe, that relived pain almost immediately and just kept me working without pain.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I was wondering if a bandage like that might work. I'll try it. Is that a common symptom for carpet cleaners. A few years ago I developed Trigger finger and that's a common thing I guess in our line of work. That was kind of a drag because I also play bass and guitar. I started wearing a brace for a while and it went away.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For me the one Shane suggested worked best even though the pain is in the elbow. By putting pressure on the forearm it relieved the pain in the elbow.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i had to change how i clean carpet. 1st a glide. then all VLM equipment...that "fixed" it.

when i get in the mood to lift weights (which only lasts about 6 months,) if flares up from doing anything that works the bi's and forearms...which is everything.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I had really bad tennis elbow. It tends to have flares and remissions. I tried braces, including a prescription one, NSAIDs, everything. Using a glide helped A LOT....but it took putting down the wand to get rid of it completely.

Take care,
Lisa

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
yea i tried the cortisone shots in elbow as well...didnt hurt a bit. temporarily fixed it, but if you dont stop doing what is causing the T.E., it just comes back.

Reactions: Captain America

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Marcus
I had a pinched nerve and tendenitis in shoulder neck arm on right and some left arm for 3-4 years...
Doctor didn't help just gave me steroids to kill the pain and some of hair fell out...
Went to chiropractor that did help some......
He told me the continuos motion over years causes this..gotta get a different motion...
I bought a zipper that uses a totally different motion....
Have only had 1-2 flair ups since I bought it 10 months ago!!!

Reactions: Derek

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I wish I could "hang up the wand" but I needs the money, besides I actually like carpet cleaning. It gets me out of the house and I feel it keeps me in shape.
I will get a brace but has anybody here seen a physical therapist about stuff like this. Are there any particular exercises, or special grip strengthening gizmos? If I'm hurting, to relieve the pain... Heat or Ice, what's better? The Ibuprofens I've been taking really don't seem to help and I guess they are not very good for the stomach.What about some of the other ones that are on the market like Tylenol or Advil or even Baby Aspirin?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Roxy, why not instead invest in something like a Zipper that Marcus advised? paying $1-$5k for a tool is worth it if it means your livelihood.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
The Zipper looks pretty cool but I wonder how it would feel to operate it in real life. Two handles side by side doesn't seem to give you much leverage and the thing still needs to be pushed, right? Seems like I'd be pushing a lot more weight, and from the waist....I'm not sure how that would be easier.But I'll check with the guys LPM, my supplier. Maybe they have a Zipper there. I'd sure like to try it, see how it feels when I'm moving it around.
A helper is definitely not something I would want to get into. Too many potential headaches. Spending the whole day on the truck with someone that I would have to relate to but who I really don't have that much in common with, doesn't sound like a good time to me. I'm social to a degree but I'm also kind of a loner too.Maybe it's weird but I kind of like the Zen thing about cleaning. Just me and my thoughts....

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have had it for years. The strap helps. Feather touch valve, glide & the new extended wand handle on a Ti wand gets me through the day. The zipper is on my list. I bought the hoss to use when it's bad. Get a helper even if it's just a couple days a week and big jobs. My son helps me now. He saved me this summer when I had a blood clot in my leg and I could only drive the van and move hose and I was winded. Help you local economy and give a guy a job.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
When I owned a window cleaning company and did a lot of washing windows I got bursitis in the elbow. Very Achy! Carpet cleaning hasn't really caused any problems YET!

Name
Marcus
Dr. Can only give you drugs or surgery..and charge??????
Chiropractor will adjust joints and decompres ligaments.....
But they will all ultimately tell you your gonna hafta change your cleaning method....that is the root of the problem.......costs me 4000$ Or more to go thru this process .....and didn't get surgery
If you don't want a worker you gotta use the rx20, other rotary or zipper...
I still use wand for hard to reach areas but use the zipper for 95 percent of all cleaning
Cap

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The Zipper looks pretty cool but I wonder how it would feel to operate it in real life. Two handles side by side doesn't seem to give you much leverage and the thing still needs to be pushed, right? Seems like I'd be pushing a lot more weight, and from the waist....I'm not sure how that would be easier.But I'll check with the guys LPM, my supplier. Maybe they have a Zipper there. I'd sure like to try it, see how it feels when I'm moving it around.
A helper is definitely not something I would want to get into. Too many potential headaches. Spending the whole day on the truck with someone that I would have to relate to but who I really don't have that much in common with, doesn't sound like a good time to me. I'm social to a degree but I'm also kind of a loner too.Maybe it's weird but I kind of like the Zen thing about cleaning. Just me and my thoughts....

Give Erik Hiltz the maker of the zipper a call.

My understanding, if you don't like it, he will take it back, but I don't want to say that for sure.

It might help you though....

734-771-2312

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A rotary tool would probably help as well. Changes the muscle/tendons that are being stressed. It may be worth changing your hand position while cleaning to see if you can find a position that doesn't hurt. It may seem awkward, but rest is the only cure for tendinitis.

Icing is the thing to reduce pain and swelling, and get the jangly nerves to settle down.

PS: My son asked his doctor what the visit would cost if he paid cash... $45, since there was no paperwork.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought some Glucosamine tablets with Condroitin and MSM for myself. I've been giving Glucosamine to my old dog for a month now and it has perked him up noticeably. Maybe it will work for me too.
I can't afford a Zipper right now but I got one of those TENS electronic zapper machines I'm going to use that and see if it will make any difference. I'll also look at the tennis elbow braces and see if I can change the way i move the wand. It doesn't hurt so much while I'm cleaning, but when I'm done I feel it. I'll let you know it any of this helps.

Reactions: Derek

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I've been giving Glucosamine to my old dog for a month now and it has perked him up noticeably.
roxy, you have a link to that stuff? Got a 12 yr old pointer having hip & other issues. I'll do anything for her.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Jerry, if you really want to help them Adequan Injections are the best. We also do cold laser therapy weekly, a raw diet with fish oil, vitamin E, selenium and as mentioned above, glucosamine. A combination of meloxicam and gabapentin works well too. I use all of those for the pugs.

RPRRSmall_zps72634914.jpg

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom