that damn Pergo can kill ya

Mikey P

Administrator
It appears that the laminate flooring this chain is selling emits a high level of formaldehyde, a known cancer causing chemical. The materials coming from Chinese manufacturing plants can be labeled as CARB compliant when they actually aren't. 60 Minutes did a story on this and it's the kind of thing people should be made aware of.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2336086-60-minutes-report-on-lumber-liquidators-is-as-bad-as-feared

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lumber-liquidators-linked-to-health-and-safety-violations/

Lumber Liquidators is the largest and fastest-growing retailer of hardwood flooring in North America, with over 360 stores in 46 states and revenues of more than a billion dollars a year. But hardwood isn't the only product they sell. More than 100 million square feet of the company's cheaper laminate flooring is installed in American homes every year. Lumber Liquidators is a U.S. company, but much of its laminate flooring is made in China, and as we discovered during our investigation, may fail to meet health and safety standards, because it contains high levels of formaldehyde, a known cancer causing chemical. Lumber Liquidators insists its Chinese-made laminate flooring is safe, but it doesn't appear that way based on what we learned from our own reporting and from the work of people like Denny Larson.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I watched it too. I haven't seen anything about it in any of the floor covering news mags I get, so it must have been a well kept secret until tonight.

Nobody in the industry has any love for Lumber Liquidators.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Formaldehyde is a well-known by-product of particle-board and other pressed wood products that off-gas when new, shows up in cheap cabinets and furniture.

Somebody should tell the smokers too, as they create it (and inhale it) when they light up....

Able 1

Name
Keith
Formaldehyde is a well-known by-product of particle-board and other pressed wood products that off-gas when new, shows up in cheap cabinets and furniture.

Somebody should tell the smokers too, as they create it (and inhale it) when they light up....

You think cheap carpet too?

I get a lot of complaints about brand new smartstrand.. Wonder if anyone tested that!! It gives me a headaches when brand new.. I have had some issues with some apartments that I serve.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I love it!! Another SmartStrand issue....that has to be the worst carpet I have ever tried to clean....and after they completely manipulated my customer about the issues with her 18 month old Smart Strand....Im sure she would just live to hear that there may be fermaldahyde in her fancy carpet:stir:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Seems like every other week we hear about another China toxic story.

People in US are obsessed with buying, nobody GAS if its junk.
Because then we can buy some more...

Reactions: jcooper

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Dam, somebody made a lot of money.
They lost 25% off stock today and 43% over last week as story started leaking out.

Reactions: jcooper
My dad was telling me about a stock broker that made a lot of money shorting the stock. He purchased his short positions a long time ago and according to him he did not have any inside information nor did he share his information. He looked at Lumber Liquidators and compared it to other companies in the same industry and their profit margins were like triple what the other companies were. Only way to do that was to cheat the process. Pretty smart guy. Anyways he is the one that encouraged the story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom