That Edward Fields Magic

RugTugnewbie

Name
Marina
I'm hoping you kind and uncensored folks could lend some advice to an artist who wants to make tufted rugs that last through generations (at least 3). I understand woven rugs stand the test of time, but my vision relies on tufting them. As the well educated and experienced carpet cleaners you all are, I'm hoping you can share your knowledge of what makes a tufted rug more high quality and longer lasting then others.

From what I've researched, the backing and adhesive play a large role in the performance of the rug. I've read that linen performs well as it is less susceptible to moisture and mold. I've read delamination can occur with the adhesive. I've looked at photos of the back of Edward Field's carpets and am wondering what his backing process was as far as the type of adhesive and backing fabric that was used.

I would love to make quality tufted rugs for my clients. And I would also love for the rugs not to be a pain in the ass to clean for carpet cleaners. I will be thankful for any and all advice.

Reactions: KevinL

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
So good to have you come here before making rugs for sale!

Too many of the Tiktok tufters make rugs with acrylic yarn, aerosol adhesives and the fad of the day foundation fabric. Ok if it's a hobby or to hang on the wall, but not tough enough to walk on and last.

A good tufted rug uses Monk's cloth, a heavyweight cotton or cotton blend fabric, as the foundation. If you want to add backing for more dimensional stability I'd recommend a strong scrim.

Using any of the cotton canvas or non-woven synthetic backings will make your rug look like the cheap Indian-sourced rugs.

#1 - Use high-grade and well-dyed rug wool as the tufting yarn.

#2 - Pack nap in very tightly. You'd have a tough time digging your fingers to the back of a premium quality tufted rug.

#3 - Use first quality latex.

Edward Fields and V'Soske add a scrim layer after the rug is finished. I've never seen one delaminate. (it's the latex)

You'll also notice that Fields quality rugs will double fold the selvedges to make a neat looking backing trim. Do this and edge wrapping isn't needed.

I'll keep my eye out for RugTug branded rugs.

RugTugnewbie

Name
Marina
@thegreatoz Wow, this is amazing advice. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with me. It is very much appreciated. I will take everything you've shared and apply it as best as I can to my rugs. I am excited for this new journey in life :) thank you again!

Reactions: Mikey P

RugTugnewbie

Name
Marina
So good to have you come here before making rugs for sale!

Too many of the Tiktok tufters make rugs with acrylic yarn, aerosol adhesives and the fad of the day foundation fabric. Ok if it's a hobby or to hang on the wall, but not tough enough to walk on and last.

A good tufted rug uses Monk's cloth, a heavyweight cotton or cotton blend fabric, as the foundation. If you want to add backing for more dimensional stability I'd recommend a strong scrim.

Using any of the cotton canvas or non-woven synthetic backings will make your rug look like the cheap Indian-sourced rugs.

#1 - Use high-grade and well-dyed rug wool as the tufting yarn.

#2 - Pack nap in very tightly. You'd have a tough time digging your fingers to the back of a premium quality tufted rug.

#3 - Use first quality latex.

Edward Fields and V'Soske add a scrim layer after the rug is finished. I've never seen one delaminate. (it's the latex)

You'll also notice that Fields quality rugs will double fold the selvedges to make a neat looking backing trim. Do this and edge wrapping isn't needed.

I'll keep my eye out for RugTug branded rugs.

Hello there again,
I've been doing some deeper research for the liquid latex I'm going to use. From what I can conclude, Bond Products' AAT -1132 is the best in the industry. Here's a link
The only downside is the shipping cost is over half the product cost.

An alternative I see gaining popularity is Tufting Nation's TN-100 rug adhesive. It's made out of natural latex, as opposed to the synthetic latex that the AAT-1132 is composed of. Again, my main concern is the longevity of my rugs. In your experience, which type of latex performs better, natural or synthetic? Is there a high-quality latex brand you tend to favor over others?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Bond product sounds pretty good with a 6 our cure time and drying white. You might try searching for carpet installation suppliers close to you, or search for latex edge sealer to find more choices.

We're currently using Taylor 710, partly because we can get it from a local supplier. Our purpose is primarily for edge sealing prep before other treatments, so cost isn't much of a factor. It dries amber and slightly tacky, so might not be what you want.

Reactions: RugTugnewbie

RugTugnewbie

Name
Marina
I took the plunge and purchased the AAT1132. Should get to me by next week. But I also want to test other options so I will be looking into the edge/seam sealer products also. I consider these next few months my trial and error testing phase. Thank you both very much for your insight 🙏

Reactions: Mikey P

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
May I suggest you get what works as determined from the experienced ones testimonials. Just add in the full cost to provide the service. That is, what labor, materials and shipping cost you, along with a margin added for your profit.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Hello there again,
I've been doing some deeper research for the liquid latex I'm going to use. From what I can conclude, Bond Products' AAT -1132 is the best in the industry. Here's a link
The only downside is the shipping cost is over half the product cost.

An alternative I see gaining popularity is Tufting Nation's TN-100 rug adhesive. It's made out of natural latex, as opposed to the synthetic latex that the AAT-1132 is composed of. Again, my main concern is the longevity of my rugs. In your experience, which type of latex performs better, natural or synthetic? Is there a high-quality latex brand you tend to favor over others?

AAT-1132 works well; it's kind of like Elmer's glue when dry stiff and cracks if folded; Roberts 6700 is another option some use. Latex-based adhesives like Parabond 267 provide more flexibility but dry out and break down quicker....IMO

In terms of longevity, consider the quality of the carpet fiber and the Denier (density of the tufting ). The denser the tufting to an extent, the more resilient a rug is to food traffic. Most of the craft wool yarn available in the USA isn't "carpet grade" it's a craft grade in the 20- 25-micrometer range; a suitable carpet fiber thickness above the 30+micrometer range and provides more resiliency, and there are not a lot of commercial options in that range Navajo Churro is around 35. I can put you in contact with a wool broker that specializes in Churro yarn if you like.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
AAT-1132 works well; it's kind of like Elmer's glue when dry stiff and cracks if folded; Roberts 6700 is another option some use. Latex-based adhesives like Parabond 267 provide more flexibility but dry out and break down quicker....IMO

In terms of longevity, consider the quality of the carpet fiber and the Denier (density of the tufting ). The denser the tufting to an extent, the more resilient a rug is to food traffic. Most of the craft wool yarn available in the USA isn't "carpet grade" it's a craft grade in the 20- 25-micrometer range; a suitable carpet fiber thickness above the 30+micrometer range and provides more resiliency, and there are not a lot of commercial options in that range Navajo Churro is around 35. I can put you in contact with a wool broker that specializes in Churro yarn if you like.
I'm sure you meant foot traffic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom