The 2 1/2

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
meAt said:
Jim Martin said:
I now run the thermal wave off a filter box using 150 feet of 2 inch and the rest to the truck is 2.5

Brother, that's some LONG average hose runs...

..L.T.A.

I always park in the street....I do everything I can to stay out of people drives ways.....

Name
Bill Soukoreff
It seems more popular with warmers climates. I have some on order but wonder about winter. Who uses it in the cold and snow? Just to the door or inside the house as well?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bill Soukoreff said:
It seems more popular with warmers climates. I have some on order but wonder about winter. Who uses it in the cold and snow? Just to the door or inside the house as well?

we use it year round, Bill
but only after 125ft

it's stiffer in winter .
no more or less a PITA as far as snow/mud though

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
The excuse that 2.5 is harder to deal with is lame.

Unless you run with out a vac hose reel.

we run 2.5 for the 1st 50ft on both trucks each and every time.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I am crazy about dry times. I think they are just a important and super clean. ChemDry has made millions off of selling dry times. They don't do a great job cleaning but they dry the carpet fast.

I have a 45 blowered machine and a 36 blowered machine. I run 2.5 inch all the way to a 15 foot 2 inch whip. I have ran several tests on my own carpet and on a few rentals that I have a key for and can come back after a few hours. The 2.5 inch side of the carpet will dry 1/3 faster everytime. Some will disagree but I have cleaned half a room with 2 inch and half the room with 2.5 and the results are always better with the 2.5.

The heavier 2.5 inch hose took about 1 day to get used to. Sometimes I think that cleaners are way too lazy. Quality is extra work. That is why I charge more, I do a lot of extras.

If you are a 3 rooms for $75 company than I completely understand why you need to get in and get out. Then 2 inch hose is for you.
Different strokes for different folks

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i am in snow....and 95% of the time i can reach the INSIDE Of the house with my 50 of 2", if i need say that extra 10' for an area I have a couple small sections i hook in......if i know its longer then the 100, in most parts of the house, then i bring my 2nd section of 2.5 off, and pull the other inside the house.....then when i have worked far enough back, i take the 2nd part off and go back to my normal 100' pull....

there ya go Meat...Adam did it and told ya the scientific results :roll: :roll:

And I put Adam up there with Jim and.......well i guess those 2 are in a level of their own

Mike Draper

meAt said:
Bill Soukoreff said:

we use it year round, Bill
but only after 125ft

it's stiffer in winter .
no more or less a PITA as far as snow/mud though

..L.T.A.

the 2.5" packs with way more snow than the 2" does.

Name
I'm Rick James
I got a couple of links of the 2 1/2 and going to roll with it. I usually only use a couple of links anyways, so figure the first 50 will be 2 1/2 then roll into 2 inch.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
And I put Adam up there with Jim and.......well i guess those 2 are in a level of their own

I don't put Adam anywhere near Jim.
I don't know if Adam knows anything .
i know Jim does.
But if you go by math calculations, his 4 to door should deliver better dry times ...but it don't.
He's also running 150 ft of 2"

..L.T.A.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
we have the 31 horspower blueline with a bayco and 2.5

I run 150 ft of 2.5 with a 7 ft 2 inch whip. I like the results I get. We just bought a 61 hp blueline, the big brother of our machine. The owner was impressed with the suction our smaller machine got. Maybe it's the vac relief, but we have it backed off to 13hg's.

Does it make a difference? I don't know. I made so many changes at once I can't tell you which one made the difference. I bought every single thing everybody was hollering about and since then carpets have been cleaner and dryer. I did jet down my greenhorn to the original 8 flow in an effort to get my tech to be able to clean and dry carpets like me. I am taking it all back to the drawing board though. I am going to do some chemical testing to find out what I should be using, and I am going to start off small when it comes to modifying the new machine. I will start with a Y and 2.5 inch hose and a short whip and add from there. I will make changes slowly and measure the results. After all, this machine has a much bigger blower.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
meAt said:
floorguy said:

I don't put Adam anywhere near Jim.
I don't know if Adam knows anything .
i know Jim does.
But if you go by math calculations, his 4 to door should deliver better dry times ...but it don't.
He's also running 150 ft of 2"

..L.T.A.

Why would the 4 to the door be better? I think it just sound bigger in combined diameter BUT we have to factor in the inside wall of 2 separate hoses creating a lot more friction combined than 1 21/2 hose.

I run the first 50' off the truck 2 1/2" and 2 inch the second 50'. Most jobs its enough that I run the first 85' 2 2/1 inch (I have a 35' piece too) and 1 2" 50' hose.

I definitely am a believer of the glide (antilockingdowndevice) and 2 1/2" hose.

Also it is absolutely not any more difficult to work with the bigger hose. It takes a day to get used to it- but you need to have a hose reel!

S

sam miller

ACE said:
I always had issues with getting the 2.5 cool cuffs to fit tight. The vaccum that leaked out canceled any boost form the 2.5. Most of my hose runs ar 100' so I went back to the 2" hose. I need to figure out how to get the cool cuffs to fit right so I can run up to 400' if I need to.

Goop or guerilla glue.

S

sam miller

Jim Martin said:
this is not an exact science..and it never will be....way to many variables involved.....types of carpets...lengths of hose...size of hose....blowers.....set-ups...just to name a few....one thing may work great for one guy and someone comes along and copies it and it may crap out for them....

if what your doing is working for you then keep it up...

but don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and see if something different may help you out...

I would of never believed it.....I was anti 2.5 for a long time...ran the Vortex using a 4 to the door set up and was happy as can be.....

I now run the thermal wave off a filter box using 150 feet of 2 inch and the rest to the truck is 2.5 and believe it or not.......my carpets are drier running the thermal wave on medium..then with the 68 blower in the vortex running full out....

the only time I kick the thermal wave up on high is for extra long distance.....other then that .....no need to stress it out....

I get a good feeling because most new build in my area have the same light tan nylon installed so I can tell the difference when Im done when ones drier or wetter and the 2.5 leaves it drier period!

Still your Vortex against the Blueline is intresting I would think maybe the vortex is locking down and restricting Air flow at some point

or maybe there's a botlleneck ?

Like say a eldiablo with 2.5 inch plumbing against a 405 with 3.5 inch plumbling

still airflow will restrict at smallest point or bottleneck? I would think yours could only be where the wand meets the carpet. :shock:

Get it MEets DOAH

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I work with a friend who runs a Cleanco 4.7, same size blower as my CanAm.
He runs all 2", I run 50ft of 2" with 50ft of 2.5 (given 100ft run)
We use the same Greenhorn wand and I can feel the difference between the units.

That said, it depends on what you have already and how much you want to spend to tweak your system to its max potential.
First, buy a better wand. At the very least run 2" all the way to the floor, holed or hybrid glide is best.
Then I would consider upgrading your vac hose.

The new Mytee 2.5" cuffs work really well, Much better than the cool cuffs I have been using. They screw right onto the old cool cuffs. The 2" female didn't match 100% though.

If you're starting out, I'd invest in all 2.5 with a 50ft run of 2".

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sam miller said:
[quote="Jim Martin":2z6vyujq]this is not an exact science..and it never will be....way to many variables involved.....types of carpets...lengths of hose...size of hose....blowers.....set-ups...just to name a few....one thing may work great for one guy and someone comes along and copies it and it may crap out for them....

if what your doing is working for you then keep it up...

but don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and see if something different may help you out...

I would of never believed it.....I was anti 2.5 for a long time...ran the Vortex using a 4 to the door set up and was happy as can be.....

I now run the thermal wave off a filter box using 150 feet of 2 inch and the rest to the truck is 2.5 and believe it or not.......my carpets are drier running the thermal wave on medium..then with the 68 blower in the vortex running full out....

the only time I kick the thermal wave up on high is for extra long distance.....other then that .....no need to stress it out....

I get a good feeling because most new build in my area have the same light tan nylon installed so I can tell the difference when Im done when ones drier or wetter and the 2.5 leaves it drier period!

Still your Vortex against the Blueline is intresting I would think maybe the vortex is locking down and restricting Air flow at some point

or maybe there's a botlleneck ?

Like say a eldiablo with 2.5 inch plumbing against a 405 with 3.5 inch plumbling

still airflow will restrict at smallest point or bottleneck? I would think yours could only be where the wand meets the carpet. :shock:

Get it MEets DOAH[/quote:2z6vyujq]

Vortex ran perfect......after using the 2.5 with the thermalwave...I now think that I was not letting that huge blower on the vortex breath.....I think that once the suction/air hits the 2.5 hose the extra diameter inside allows the air to travel faster.....so it pulls a bit harder....

vacuum is the same as pushing....so think about it...if you are pushing air thru a 2 inch hose and then all the sudden to opens up to a 2.5...that air is going to travel faster because it has more area to play with.....

now...turn your hoses around and start pushing thru the 2.5.......what is going to happen when you hit the 2 inch.....your air is going to run out of space and bog down on you.....

if you are only using straight 2 inch....you are probably loading the hose with the max volume of air it can handle....so the air is traveling a bit slower....

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
sam miller said:
ACE said:
I always had issues with getting the 2.5 cool cuffs to fit tight. The vaccum that leaked out canceled any boost form the 2.5. Most of my hose runs ar 100' so I went back to the 2" hose. I need to figure out how to get the cool cuffs to fit right so I can run up to 400' if I need to.

Goop or guerilla glue.

That will keep the cuffs on the hose. How to I keep the cuff connections tight?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
actually, the air flow slows down in the 2.5, you're moving more air with less friction. All the potential vacuum ends up at the carpet where the small holes accelerate the airflow. Thats why you can't pick as much up if you had a 2.5" opening vs a 1/2" opening.
If your pushing water through a hose, there is more pressure in a 2.5" pipe than in a 1/4", ie more water volume moving slower. Once in the smaller diameter the water accelerates. You can do more work with the accelerated water than you can with the highflow slower moving water. Think of a huge river flowing into rapids.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Ron Werner said:
actually, the air flow slows down in the 2.5, you're moving more air with less friction. All the potential vacuum ends up at the carpet where the small holes accelerate the airflow. Thats why you can't pick as much up if you had a 2.5" opening vs a 1/2" opening.
If your pushing water through a hose, there is more pressure in a 2.5" pipe than in a 1/4", ie more water volume moving slower. Once in the smaller diameter the water accelerates. You can do more work with the accelerated water than you can with the highflow slower moving water. Think of a huge river flowing into rapids.

very true if everything is separated.........but once you start reducing from large to small...then everything changes......

Name
John LaBarbera
ACE said:
sam miller said:
ACE said:

Goop or guerilla glue.

That will keep the cuffs on the hose. How to I keep the cuff connections tight?

2 1/2" Mytee Cuff Lynx don't leak, including the swivels.

Name
I'm Rick James
Ron Werner said:

I would think the water molecules smashing into them self while going through a smaller opening would create greater friction than compared to air.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Used 4 to door, and tried a 2.5 to the door. 5 techs, and myself all noticed a difference immediately, and all decided it's easier to pull one 2.5 than 2 - 2" and went that way. The mytee cuffs ROCK! and set-up time is actually less than 4TTD. It's the last on first off the reel.

Nobody here has mentioned what size connect and hose/s is/are between their waste tank and their 2.5" hose - I think that could be the difference maker for those that tried it and didn't think it made a difference.

Apex D - has the 2 - 2" lines going from the tank to the machine's vac inlets. plug one up, connect a 2.5 to the other, made little if any detectable difference.

Bought the new "wing" for an apex gtx d - flipped it backwards, so the 2 - 2" vac inlets connected to the 2 - 2" vac lines going to the waste tank, then on the other side (manifold side) directly connected the 2.5 - big difference noticed immediately.

If you are using a TM that has 1 2" from tank to 2.5 connect, you are going to have to alter your tank and get a 2.5 inlet to get the full benefits imo. If you have two, you'll need to use both.

A bigger straw won't make a chit of a difference if there isn't more suck at the end of it.

Like a few have said - what works for one, may not work, or work well enough, for another to make the change worth it - look at your system as a whole, determine if it, your van, your protocols, and your TM are able to make it a viable option.

We have tons of spare room in our vans, so we have the 300' reels, we keep 200' of 2", 50' of 2.5, and a spare 2" coiled up in the van if 300 is needed. Our tm's all have 2 2" vac inlets on the WT, or a 3"er - so for us it makes sense and we've consistently seen faster dry times, especially on frieze and berbers.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Jim Martin said:
very true if everything is separated.........but once you start reducing from large to small...then everything changes......

going from large to small just accelerates the air flow, start with large at the truck and end with those wee little holes in the glide, keeping as much airflow as possible inbetween.

The 2.5 cufflinks don't leak, very nice design. I need to get some more.
The 2" wouldn't screw onto the old Coolcuff, but it was never an issue for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom