The 411 on waltzing with a 175

Bob Foster

Harper got me thinking about using a 175 properly. In another thread he was telling a guy how to use a 175 or a swing machine as some people call it properly. I'm a relatively inexperienced 175er myself.

So you 175 jockeys answer me up some questions.

When your scrubbing with one of these things on carpet with a red pad do you work the pad in both directions back and forth at the same speed or do you primarily get more cleaning action by going slow running one way and move the machine back faster to do another "scrubbing" swing.

Why not use a brush instead of a pad? It seams that a brush would penetrate more and pile lift a bit better.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I don't use a red pad...unless on a red carpet. I use beige usually. Don't get carried away, keep it lubricated and make sure everything gets at least ONE pass. Much more than that isn't usually needed.

A couple of restaurants we use a 175 and feed prespray via a dema and hot water line to the tap. Kills two birds with one stone and minimizes extra time.

I started out with a brush. Pad does a better job with less moisture needed.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bob Foster said:
Harper got me thinking about using a 175 properly. In another thread he was telling a guy how to use a 175 or a swing machine as some people call it properly. I'm a relatively inexperienced 175er myself.

So you 175 jockeys answer me up some questions.

When your scrubbing with one of these things on carpet with a red pad do you work the pad in both directions back and forth at the same speed or do you primarily get more cleaning action by going slow running one way and move the machine back faster to do another "scrubbing" swing.

Why not use a brush instead of a pad? It seams that a brush would penetrate more and pile lift a bit better.

BOB...

We almost .....NEVER....use a PAD...USE THE BRUSH...... :!:

IMO...pads are SToooopId....&....can cause damage to the fibers..... :shock:

The PROPER...Shampooing Technique...is to make 3 overlapping PASSES..."OVERLAPPING each"

Then "CIRCLE-OUT"....as a last pass...over the 3 lateral passes... :wink:

Bob Foster

Thanks now please show us the type of brushes you would use.

By the way that little 13" machine Terje gave me works like a hot damn. A bit small for the big areas but a dream in and around furniture. I got a big Clark for the big jobs.

John Watson

Your right, those 13" mach are the cats meow (specily for an ol fart like me) plus Helen can pack it in!!!!.
I have never used a red pad on carpets so I can't say. I got a pad driver with my machine but couldn't find 13 in tan or gray pads like RickyGs so I bought an adjust a glide brush that works great in the TA's where we use it. On the bigger jobs I have some 19" beigh pads(from RickyG) for the Swing or I carry the ramps for the Mex....

Ryan

20" machine here with a white pad. I've got a 13" but it weighs almost as much and takes twice as long to scrub. I use a red pad if the carpet is trashed.

Any janitor can use one.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ryan said:
20" machine here with a white pad. I've got a 13" but it weighs almost as much and takes twice as long to scrub. I use a red pad if the carpet is trashed.

Any janitor can use one.

the proper way isn't to "swing" it side to side.
It's a series of overlapping circles for BEST scrub coverage .
regardless of brush, pad or bonnet

similar to writing a series of lower case cursive "e"'s overlapping each other like round or oval doodles on a paper

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Proper shampoo technique:
Imagine a rectangle in front of you approximately 8 feet wide by two brush or pad diameters deep. Start at the far left (or right) and apply shampoo as you move across the rectangle. Move the machine back toward you one diameter and go the other way still feeding solution. Just before you get back to the side you started on, stop applying solution (lag between letting go of the trigger and solution moving through the applicator).

NOW start doing circles covering the ful depth of the two passes. When you get to the end of your rectangle, start the next. The whole idea behind using a scrubber is agitation and dwell time, so there's no fast way to do it right.

Ignore this method (and using a brush) if you're just doing scrub-n-run. A pad works fine for applying whitewash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom