The best lesson you've ever learned

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Recent posts (incl mine) about bad customers etc got me thinking.

One of the most valuable things I have learned in 18yrs of cleaning is when to say NO and walk away from a job.

What are your lessons learned?

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
A true statement if I have ever heard one: From martin King many years ago "If you want to make friends join a club, if you want to make money do fire and water work." Keeping in mind our satisfaction rate is much higher than the industry average but it stands none the less.
Al

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Askal said:
A true statement if I have ever heard one: From martin King many years ago "If you want to make friends join a club, if you want to make money do fire and water work." Keeping in mind our satisfaction rate is much higher than the industry average but it stands none the less.
Al
Wow, Al. Martin King. I learned so much from Marty over the years. Not a spellbinding speaker in his delivery (he could be a bit pedantic) but almost every word was golden. Toward the start of my career as a restoration firm owner I asked him how and when I should start preparing to sell my business. Marty thought for awhile and said, "Remember that everything you do to make your business easier to sell also makes it a better, more profitable, easier-to-run and just a lot more fun place to work. So why not start now?"

Words to live by. Thanks, Al, for bringing up the name of Martin King- one of the unsung heroes of the cleaning and restoration industry.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I don't remember the year but I know I was in the third ever class of Certified Restorers Marty ever did. Cliff Zlotnick and Pete Consigli plus my brother Tim were all in the class. It was WILD. (Now we've all gotten old and conservative.)

Ron K

Be very careful what you put your "thing" or your money into.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
that reminded me of what a client taught me
You can provide :

Best Service
Best Quality
Best Price

But you can't provide ALL THREE at the same time

Knowing that has helped me to be firm enough and confident enough to walk on some jobs.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ron Werner said:
that reminded me of what a client taught me
You can provide :

Best Service
Best Quality
Best Price

But you can't provide ALL THREE at the same time

Knowing that has helped me to be firm enough and confident enough to walk on some jobs.

Why not!!!

The word "best" is very subjective.

Best can be all kinds of things to different clients: fastest drying, reasonably fast drying, anal retentive vacuuming, no vacuuming, ease of transaction, uniformed and educated crews, no interaction at all, pleasant personality,crews that don't talk much and get down to business, honest, quickest service, slowest service, lowest price, highest price..................

It's up to your company to define best for your prospect and to show your value.

As an example one person may say a Lamborghini is the best because it is very expensive.

Or an other may choose a Smart Car as the best because it is cheep.

Explain all the good things your company has to offer. Or you leave no choice but price left to the prospect as a way to choose your service.

Chris A

Name
Chris
listen to those who are as or more successful than you want to be, ignore those who aren't (not necc. money related)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom