The Chill Factor

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
I'm sure every year similar questions are asked and the same discussions are hashed out. However, it is a discussion board, and new, even if rehashed threads are fun to have sometimes. And I found out you get points for starting them. What the points do, I have not a clue, but it's nice being rewarded in any event.

On to the subject.

I had been a portable cleaner for many years, until two years ago when I took the plunge into purchasing a TM. I'm happy I did.

Last year was a particularly brutal winter for us here in this part of Pa.. I didn't, to my detriment, winterize and payed fairly heavily during the summer with repairs for leaky hoses and fittings. What I did do last year was use heaters in my van, three to be exact. That didn't do the trick obviously.

This year so far it's only gotten as low as 25F and, this year I've been using two heaters and a large electric blanket. My van is warm in the a.m. as is obviously the equipment - no freezing so far. Am I tempting fate?

Have any of you had experience doing this? I'd like input/criticisms.
If not, what do you do and how? For those of you who winterize, do you do that each and every day?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Keep your hoses and tools off the van floor? What makes you think last summer's hose and fitting failures were caused by freezing during the winter? Maybe it was just normal for TM use.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Keep your hoses and tools off the van floor? What makes you think last summer's hose and fitting failures were caused by freezing during the winter? Maybe it was just normal for TM use.
My repair guy indicated as much.

Yes, the floors do get extraordinarily cold. Thanks for that advice. Wisconsin gets pretty cold, I recall my time in Great Lakes boot camp in the early seventies.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
My next house, which is about 18 month down the road, will have a heated garage. You've seriously never heard of this before now?

Name
Nate W.
All this talk about heat makes me want to talk a cold shower..... I could never imagine working in the cold, nor would I want too... Idk why people would put themselves through such torment unless they're @Mark Saiger ........ He makes the big bucks cleaning....:lol:

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I'm sure every year similar questions are asked and the same discussions are hashed out. However, it is a discussion board, and new, even if rehashed threads are fun to have sometimes. And I found out you get points for starting them. What the points do, I have not a clue, but it's nice being rewarded in any event.

On to the subject.

I had been a portable cleaner for many years, until two years ago when I took the plunge into purchasing a TM. I'm happy I did.

Last year was a particularly brutal winter for us here in this part of Pa.. I didn't, to my detriment, winterize and payed fairly heavily during the summer with repairs for leaky hoses and fittings. What I did do last year was use heaters in my van, three to be exact. That didn't do the trick obviously.

This year so far it's only gotten as low as 25F and, this year I've been using two heaters and a large electric blanket. My van is warm in the a.m. as is obviously the equipment - no freezing so far. Am I tempting fate?

If not, what do you do and how? For those of you who winterize, do you do that each and every day?

Ok as a fellow PA guy, i have experience in this, As does Mark Saiger, but mark has heated garage space.

First, insulate your van. if nothing else use this. screw it to your roof along the supports, along the walls, and even on the floor.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Ba...lation-Roll-with-Double-Air-DD48250/205434426

Second, Buy the mat that fits your van floor, and make it fit as well as possible, in my slide in tm where the van is on the floor i even had pembertons take the tm out and put it back in on top of this foam insulated floor mat.

http://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-VTTC11-VanTred-Cargo-Van/dp/B005G66A7U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Kf7RshngL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1Z1VKXABPXBGNADST2XH
this is the type i got and the foam is about 3/4 inch thick. helps keep your tools from conducting the cold.

third, if you can buy a tarp garage, keep the cold from blowing on the sides of the van will help alot in not conducting the cold to the inside where your tools and equipment are.

http://www.amazon.com/One-House-Sty...8&qid=1449517973&sr=1-21&keywords=tarp+garage

forth, if your serious about keeping it outside and cant rent a garage where you can heat the van inside a building then try this, wrap heat tape around all your plumbing that is not in contact with the engine exhaust. on severely cold nights wrap it up and plug it in as a last resort. Do not run with the heat tape on anything that the heat tape can melt or burn.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-30-ft-Automatic-Electric-Heat-Cable-Kit-HC30A/100196471

Fifth, Make an adapter and use compressed air to blow all the water our of your solution lines and tools if your not going to take them inside every night.

if you know its going to be crazy cold just antifreeze your machine, tools, , its alot cheaper to blow 10-15 $$ on antifreeze then replace even 1 line.

I will give it to butler they have a great cold weather DD.

This is my two cents, i'm sure others have better ideas, comments.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
you cant test rv fluid. i use glycol antifreeze so you can test to see that it will reach the - temps you need it too.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
another tip is to always keep enough antifreeze in your van and the adapters, tools to antifreeze your machine in an emergency. such as your van breaks down and your out of heat for hours, or you hit a deer, or you get in a wreck. that way your damage isnt double by letting your tm freeze up. as long as your tm has its own fuel pump and power you can start it long enough to antifreeze it and your tools and save yourself alot more money.

now remember to do this safely. if your fuel system is compromised/ leaking after a wreck your screwed, and i wouldnt attempt starting it for fear of fire. but you could run your pump till its dry and then use some tools and undo every water line you can reach. just saying it couldnt hurt if your in a truly screwed position.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I hate the cold....that is all.... :)

But once the Front page gets up and going again....or whatever it turns out like...I have a cold weather cleaning article that could be helpful..

Here are some cold weather YouTube video links in the meantime...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg45027waKT-kNAoD4_D_AjirzhFu5VB1

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg45027waKT_dC687lsUTFIv68TLNxg8Y

And my entire YouTube channel if at all a help

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi9UefjEixJPGgxWPTnEUhg

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

Bob, this is how I've done it in the past.
http://mikeysboard.com/threads/keeping-the-van-tm-warm-in-22-weather.276979/

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
What I did do a year ago was use radiators in my van, three to be correct.

You need heaters that blows heat at the tm. Radiator type heaters did nothing for us, gave off little heat where it was needed.
All the info you need is in this thred....

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
You need heaters that blows heat at the tm. Radiator type heaters did nothing for us, gave off little heat where it was needed.
All the info you need is in this thred....
Unfortunately, I do believe you're talking to a bot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom