the demon refuses to die...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wanted one for years. Nearly bought a used one twice until Wheelwright told me it did great until it would hit a non level spot and that area would water stain the next day. 😮

Last edited:

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
One of the few people who used it alot.
Was Dave Hebert .
Believe he was a distributor as well...
I would think it would have been redesigned an streamlined more?
Less metal more plastic to reduce weight,were feasible...
But he liked it...
As for me,ImmaTruckMount Guy...
Not my cuppa tea ...

Reactions: BIG WOOD

JeffC

Name
Jeff
I bought a used one several years ago and tried it on a few jobs. It didn't work out so well. In theory it sounds great but it was extremely cumbersome to work with. It definitely wasn't a good fit for me.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
A local univerity that I work with loved them. It cleaned better and faster than the walk behind units they had been using, and it surely revealed the residue left behind by their prior methods.

On the other hand, a faith based group completely rejected having the unit on their grounds based on its name.....trying to explain that it was named after a racehorse gained me no traction there.

I have had similar issues with the El Diablo truck mount.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I was a sucker and bought one.☹ i sold it after using it less than 10 times.
The pump out filter would clog and cause water to overflow onto the floor.
I learned that PSI is better than flow.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And here I thought I was the only one who thought that way. My oh my back then I came out on the ics board and called it a POS. But where oh where was everyone else?

FONEY ASSES!

Reactions: Mikey P

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
long ago they were marketed to PMs so they could do in house. some communities I serviced used them. sometimes when they were busy I would get calls to help them out. Even though not trained , they did not do too bad with them. Basic cleans.
Also, I often got called to finish up on water losses. Usually, they would have already began to do extractions, since these were occupied apts. and sometimes middle of night etc. When I went in a little later I was surprized at how well they had done on just a rudimentary extraction. Using my med claw, and my old
butler, yes I did get more, and do much more detailed work, but their initial attention did pretty good.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We bought one of the original ones and still have. I think we tried it 3 or 4 times before retiring it.

1618413314672.png

1618413362297.png

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Mike Downey brought one to a MF once.

his drain hose came out of the jani sink and flooded the other side of the building, between that and his constant smoking and butt littering, I went apeshit on the dude.
Still a Downey operation here in town. Not sure how he is to it any more.

Name
Eric
I bought one several years ago at a thrift store for $50. I was 100% VLM at the time and it was nice to have for pet or really dirty jobs. It was a pain to use though so it sat more often than not and I sold it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$50.00 😮

We came so close to buying a new one for a commercial account. It would have worked out with a janitor closet for water nearby.

It leaving unexpected brownout spots saved us. We lost the account 2-years later when they changed management.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
The old timers like Marty, Jimmy, Lee Stockwell will remember Gary Berg one of the original Demonites from the red board days.. That man could argue the paint off the wall. Anyhow. Gary passed on and I ended up with that one, I got rid of it as quick as I could.Another time Jim Darling from chemspec was in town teaching a course and plugging the demon. New and improved🙄

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
AND--------
stopped by the Downey operation here in town, years ago. Actually, it was so long ago, that I needed to get some CTI products from them , since my local distributor was not yet carrying. Because their OSR was the thing!! before all the mfrs jumped in. (which may give you some insight into how long ago!!!!)

they were doing rugs in the back using??
yep , you guessed it, a SD!!!

roro

Name
Ross Craig
The old timers like Marty, Jimmy, Lee Stockwell will remember Gary Berg one of the original Demonites from the red board days.. That man could argue the paint off the wall. Anyhow. Gary passed on and I ended up with that one, I got rid of it as quick as I could.Another time Jim Darling from chemspec was in town teaching a course and plugging the demon. New and improved🙄
Arrrrgh G7 & Cindy the board nemeses
Seem to recall G7 used to swear by the two-headed Rotovac monstrosity. Ended up getting one inadvertently years later when I bought another business - used once or twice and still sits in our "museum".
roro

Mikey P

Administrator
I had 2 pre 1979 versions bought at a sheriff's auction. were part of a carpet dyeing system.
79??

Really?

From the Downey Bros?

I got to hang out with John Downey back in February in Vegas at a shareholder's function and happily sent him on his way to Death Valley Sierras with all sorts of notable side trips planned for him

he was quite thrilled with my suggestions

FredC

Village Idiot
Steri-steam?

The predecessor of the Steamin Demon was the Steri-Steam, a direct hookup machine that did not utilize high water flow rates. The Steri-Steam was first produced in the late 1960s in Fort Worth, Texas. In the early 70s, John M. Downey, a third generation cleaner, bought the company and moved it to Ohio, the base of his large, regional cleaning company, John M. Downey Carpet Cleaning, which was established by his grandfather in 1897

The Downey family has been providing leadership and innovation in the carpet cleaning industry for five generations and the predecessor of the Steamin Demon was called the Steri-Steam, produced by Mike's father in the 1970's. Mike's father, the late John M. Downey III, was a prominent entrepreneur and businessman in Columbus, Ohio and the owner of John M. Downey Carpet Cleaning which was originally established by his father in 1897, and still thrives in Columbus today.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom