The Downside of High Heat Cleaning

RichardnTn

I was cleaning a home yesterday and with absolutely no warning, my solution hose busted on me... about 12" from the QC, at waist-level, straight into my side. I keep an eye on my first 100' feet of hose to make sure something like this doesn't happen... I was running around 240-250 degrees at 450 psi. Anyway, I have second degree burns in an area about 7 X 5 inches....I assure you, I will check my hoses even closer now.... Best to all.
"Blistered in Tennessee" Richard R

RichardnTn

Without going out to the garage and checking, I think it is the regular Blue Goodyear hose..thanks Richard

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
RichardnTn said:
I think it is the regular Blue Goodyear hose..thanks Richard

That's why i consider steel braid dangerous JUNK JUNK JUNK!!

parker hose gives ample warning before it's shot and is MUCH safer

..L.T.A.

Spurling

What do you mean Parker hose gives ample warning .. how ..

What about having a strain relief from wand to floor .. or having some heavy duty 4 ft long hose from wand to floor that would never burst .. I see and hear too many stories about bursting hoses..

Cobb sells Parker hose with no black inner core .. so that if it were to burst, there would be no black dots on everything.

Has anyone ever heard of a 3/8 in hose bursting.. if not maybe a 4footer from the wand to the floor .. then connect your 1/4 in...cant imagine the 1/4 in would ever burst with out that back and forth bending of the wire braided part of the hose..

Scott Hayward

Ok, dumb question. How do you check your hoses other than looking at them? What are the signs that it is about to break? How often do you typically replace them?

I use Cobbs hi pressure line. Not a problem yet.

Scott

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Mine burst two weeks ago while I was pre-spraying with the in-line. I have a clutch drive so not nearly as much heat as you but it still stung a bit. Some black death but I was close to the front door and just tossed the whole thing outside so the black mess was minimal. Some on the walls, tile floor, and a little bit on the carpet, it all cleaned up really easy.

I can't blame the hose though because I've had been telling myself for at least the last 4 or 5 months that I needed to replace that hose but something was always more important. I will not make that mistake again.

RichardnTn

First, the hole blew thru the outer cover.... There are a couple of ways to see that the hose is questionable...wet near fitting, visible stretching of outer hose or soft to touch, discoloration from water, etc.... Given time I think that any hose will fail with high heat... I usually replace the hoses around 1000 hours or so... BTW, I have never got black water out of these hoses....ever...Richard R

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Ron Lippold said:
i blew a hose last week checking them no burns thank god hope you heal fast

yikes that sucks,

it reminds me of a joke.

Two guys meet up the next day after a bachelor party. one guy says to the other "I had a really shitty night got home and the wife was pissed, pissed that i went to a bachelor, pissed it was late and pissed I was drunk. If that wasn't bad enough we got into a fight she knocked a candle over and caught the house on fire. I spent the rest of the night in jail and it looks like I'm getting a divorce.

The other guy says "that's nothing ...i was so drunk when i got home i blew chunks"

The first guy "that doesn't sound bad to me"

The other guy "you don't understand....chunks is my dog"

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
How fast does the water pump out when you loose a hose?

i had a competitor who had their lines blow in a restaurant, they lost that account due to the massive amount of water they had gotten on the floor walls and ceiling. can only guess that they had water pressure maxed.. second time i have heard of this company having problems like this.

black water from where?

R

R W

I still like the blue neptune hose....no problems (knock on wood!) I keep an eye on them. I generally replace the first 60 foot section, and take that replaced section and move it back to 2nd or 3rd in line.

Oh....I use 60 foot hoses, cause the 50 footers always seems to be 5 feet too short!!

RichardnTn

With around 400-450 psi and the size of the hole, the flow was about the size of a pencil.....
The black water comes from the inside of the lining of the hose...and I, too, will continue to use the same hose....
BTW, busted the big ole blisters last night and it looks really good this morning......." I will survive" Richard R

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hey, Richard...

For the record, if that's the hose that you got from me when you got the system, it's a Blue Neptune "clone", that I've been supplying for several years now.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Maybe I should give an aloe plant with every system... :)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm glad you're ok Richard.

I've had more than my share of hose burns from such accidents from my early years (when I used to work for a living!)

Experiencing the pain of a very localized burn teaches us compassion for those who are burned over large areas of their bodies and the suffering that they experience.

WISE

Only had it happen once....hose was way past due for replacement so MY fault...but I just shoved it in the vac hose real quick and the mess was nothing really.

WISE

RichardnTn

Thanks Jim and Duane.....
It's a Part of life and you wouldn't believe the attention that I get from my little ole wife, she treats me like a little child....but I may do it again so she can rub my belly even more....Life if Good....Best to all and God Bless, Richard

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Spurling said:
What do you mean Parker hose gives ample warning .. how ..

Parker develops blisters/bubbles on the outer skin, then eventually develops pin spray leaks.
Never a "burst" effect like Ineptune.
Doesn't spit fittings either like Ineptune either.

In 16+ years of using Parker parflex, I've had exactly one spit fitting. That was ATM.
That was my own fault because it was a field repaired line with no crimp at the fitting.
Just a 1/4" hose barb pounded appx half way into the line and steel clamp, which I ran like that for 6 months or more.

Parker Parflex is stiffer, but safer.
It's also lighter and cooler to touch

...L.T.A.

John Buxton

I turn down my heat when the weather warms up. The hydroforce doesnt like it, the pressure hose doesnt like it, and unless its a trshed grease pit, I dont think it matters that much whether its 180 or 240.

LeeCory

I had a customer once tell me that their last cleaner had a hose burst in his house and splattered the walls everywhere and made a horrible mess. I come here and hear of many cleaners who seem to create the same situations.

I say "create" because is this problem not preventable? As Mr. Meat above mentioned, a hose should give you some indication that problems are near. Sometimes that indication may only be that the hose is beginning to look like crap. I think a hose should be replaced "before" it has problems. If I used steal braid hoses, I would replace them once a year.

If you have old hose on your trucks that you are trying to get a few more hours out of before replacing just think of it this way. What if you had a kid and you hired a cleaning service to come into your home and the guy shows up and bursts a hose and burns your kid?

I use thermoplastic hose and one time I had a pin hole leak outside. As soon as I saw it, the hose got tossed in the trash. It's not worth trying to "repair" to get more time out of it.

I think everyone should go out to their trucks and look at the equipment that is going into peoples homes. If your equipment looks like crap.... replace it and get things shaped up. I don't know why I read about solution hose "black death" splattered all over peoples homes. I don't know whey carpet cleaners pull their vans into garages and kill themselves and others.

Next time you are at a distributor picking up some stuff take a peek into "the other guys" van and see what it looks like. 9 out of 10 times the van looks like something out of Sanford and Sons. Then take another look in YOUR van and see if this is you.

Of course I am sure there are times a hose breaks that is new or unexpected and there may be nothing you can do about that, but I think most times people shouldn't be so surprised.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
<<Has>>

I use all 3/8 inch good year neptune hose, and yes it will burst.

Maybe I should try Parker. Larry, do you use this in 3/8 inch?

Loren

John Olson

Name
John Olson
No matter what hose your using you should be replacing it every year or 600 hours whichever comes first. 1000 hours is to long and your playing with fire. It just isn't worth the risk.

Greenie

to add to MeAt's parflex comments:

It has NO steel to rust.
It has a Nylon core, not rubber, doesn't breakdown under heat and chemistry.
It has a Urethane jacket, and slides nice on carpet.

Negative:
It's plastic and has a personality all it's own, it also hates small arbor hose reels like a Butler.

And if you are smart, you'll order it with a REAL bend restrictor, half the hose failures are because cleaners use those stupid vinyl soft black bend restrictors which DON'T friggen restrict the hose from bending in the first place!

Some things are just common sense once you take a fresh look at it.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We usually replaced one section of hose that was in the house each year. Just moved the others closer to the truck and tossed the oldest section. We always had the newest house in the home. This was least likely to burst. Still got several years use out of each hose.

Rarely got some with pin hole leaks. The only one that "burst" was due to being bent tightly near the QC.

Scott Warrington

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Loren Egland said:
Maybe I should try Parker. Larry, do you use this in 3/8 inch?

Loren

No Loren, I changed the QDs on my Powermatic and run 1/4"
The way i see it, for "average" hose runs there's just not enough benefits in running the heavier thicker sol lines.

As you know, I LOVE the big loud Powermatic, quirks and all.
Been running one for 13 years or better,
but just don't see the benefit of the 3/8" sol line they supply with the unit.

I don't know what your average hose run is, but if it's in the "normal" range, I'd bet nickel you won't notice any difference for single wand CCing.

What you WILL notice with 1/4" Parker is the weight.
It will feel like a feather compared to the 3/8" Ineptune.
It will also be much cooler to touch.
(you'll have little concern about melting olie/poly cut piles where the line lays like you do with steel braid)

If you hand coil your sol line, you'll probably hate the stuff.
But with a reel (not small arbor live reels) it's not a problem.
matter of fact, i think it reels in and out smoother than Ineptune.

It will be stiff and curly when brand new but will relax after a month or so of use.
It will never be as flexible as Ineptune, but the curls go away with use.

as Greenie mentioned, the jacket is also smoother and doesn't hang up like Ineptune can .
That smooth jacket also makes it MUCH easier to keep clean

..L.T.A.

Greenie

those were the good ol days......todays Goodyear INeptune is simply just not the same, I suspect it's the rubber compound, either way the stuff sold with todays truckmounts is a Liability and some creative lawyer is gonna own a company before they listen up.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I had flow interrupter valves made for my new Vortex. They will stop water flow in the event of a hose failure. We are having some difficulty getting them dialed in, but i think we will probably have them working sometime next month. :wink:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
ronbeatty said:
I had flow interrupter valves made for my new Vortex. They will stop water flow in the event of a hose failure. We are having some difficulty getting them dialed in, but i think we will probably have them working sometime next month. :wink:

If you are running a 12 flow or a 24 flow tool, would a flow interrupter valve know when a line was pissing a leak at less than that tool flow?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom