The Dunning-Kruger Effect or "You are an Idiot, but you think you are a Genius"

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Have you ever wondered why you have competitors who are truly convinced they are God's Gift to Cleaning, when they are horrible cleaners at every level?

I think this is part of the issue, and its worthy of looking into in depth.

Do NOT use this just as a way to insult someone who differs with your opinion on something, like politics or religion. I think a lot of people who are somewhat aware of this use it this way, but its really deeper than that.

It seems to be true that the least capable of people overestimate their abilities by more than a little bit.

I know of at least one FB warrior who consistently gives out horrid advice that really could cause far more trouble than I hope he could imagine.

He's either a victim of this syndrome, or an ardent sociopath who wants to watch the world burn.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
That is quite true!

Some people think they know just about everything on a particular subject, when they don't really have a clue.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I think Psychologists are just people with problems who tried to figure out how to solve their own problems in College and when that doesn't work, decide it is everyone else who have the problem.
The Dunning-Kruger Effect probably comes with a prescription you could take to feel less smart.
Some people are just stupid. I blame their parents.
In a civilized world they get to reproduce.
No Darwin in effect.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Jim is this some sort of self awareness as if you were looking in the mirror?

It's a good thing I pointed it out because at times you do appear to be a knowitall : )

The only person I know who is all he can be and is all knowing is MARTY

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim is this some sort of self awareness as if you were looking in the mirror?

It's a good thing I pointed it out because at times you do appear to be a knowitall : )

The only person I know who is all he can be and is all knowing is MARTY

Just the opposite Jimmy. I am constantly amazed at how poorly I understand most everything around me.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Just the opposite Jimmy. I am constantly amazed at how poorly I understand most everything around me.
The “suggestions or opinions”, whether sarcastic or honest, are rarely the goal of a conversation. Such as this board, it’s the mental break for some damn fine camaraderie and a motivational kick in the pants to keep chugging along.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
You mean... like an internet board? -----Lurk

Wow, is that the truth! "Social Media" (ex: that other board) can cometimes bring out the very very worst in a few for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We are nearing the anniversary of his death.

Wow, it is isn't it?!! And the days and dates line up this year. It was 6 years ago today Monday August 12th, 2013 he was in already in the hospital getting treated for severe back pain. He had checked in early Sunday morning on August 11 because he was in such pain and wanted some meds to help break the pain cycle.

It wasn't until later in the first week that they started whispering about cancer. The following week was spent trying to fight it and the last week was the realization that he wouldn't/couldn't win the fight as the cancer had spread throughout his body. At that point they were just tried to make him as comfortable as possible.

Early in the morning of Sunday September 1st, he passed.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Wow, it is isn't it?!! And the days and dates line up this year. It was 6 years ago today Monday August 12th, 2013 he was in already in the hospital getting treated for severe back pain. He had checked in early Sunday morning on August 11 because he was in such pain and wanted some meds to help break the pain cycle.

It wasn't until later in the first week that they started whispering about cancer. The following week was spent trying to fight it and the last week was the realization that he wouldn't/couldn't win the fight as the cancer had spread throughout his body. At that point they were just tried to make him as comfortable as possible.

Early in the morning of Sunday September 1st, he passed.

I have done my best to deal with the "survivor guilt" I feel over his loss. There is no reason I can find the justice in such a good man as him passing so young, and yet I'm still here.

I'm not putting myself down with that comment; I'm elevating Ken with it.

All any of us can do that were privileged to know him is to find ways each day to try to better ourselves.

Of all the gifts this life has given me, knowing Ken was among those ones that's value was inestimatable.

Back
Top Bottom